Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Smile Poke5!

Oh, please let this be a good one!
Android 11 and micro SD card. 32GB + 2 GB, but only quad processor.
https://shop.boox.com/collections/all/products/poke5

It says, "Sold out" in US. Hong Kong has availibility.

Last edited by Renate; 05-05-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #2
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post

Actually I am still happy with my Nova which is using Rockchip RK3288 and my Kindle Fire HD8 which is using MediaTek MT8127B CPU. I find these 2 CPUs are already good enough for opening EPUBs and PDFs. I can't find the benchmark scores that compare Poke5 CPU (QCM2290) against Nova CPU. I would guess that Poke 5 is double the speed of Nova. Maybe it would take 3 more seconds to open the document but to me it is acceptable.

I personally would like to have Leaf 2, but it is not because of the CPU but just the size of Nova is too big for travel.

Last edited by winstonma; 05-18-2023 at 02:55 AM.
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I like how it's a good cm shorter than the old Kobo Clara HD. But $169 is pretty pricey.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I like how it's a good cm shorter than the old Kobo Clara HD. But $169 is pretty pricey.
$179 with a cover.
Hmm, the case is magnetic, on the back. It's not a plastic cradle like the Poke3.
It's the same width but about 4mm shorter than the Poke3

Still, it's cheaper than the Poke3 was.
I want a device that they didn't shave every dollar off.

Last edited by Renate; 05-05-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:49 AM   #5
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
If I needed to replace my Poke3, this one looks like a good option. I've been happy with the Poke3 and so far, they seem to be coming out with models that are not quite as good. This one (other than the quad core instead of octa core) is the first one that is as good as or better (an sd slot) than the 3.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2023, 03:45 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'm purchasing it, and hopefully I'll be able to tell you things. Hopefully the gods of customs treat me well: it'll be the smallest reader I've ever had so I'm enthusiastic about it. I don't terribly care about the Android reader side of it, but I appreciate a pocketable book like the best of them.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:53 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard

Sigh. Now https://shop.boox.com/products/poke5 is showing an overall "Unavailable".
Old 05-15-2023, 09:23 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post

US shows availability.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_poke5
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:51 AM   #9
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
US shows availability.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_poke5
Yeah, but that's the wacky "other sales stream".
Why are they showing that shell stuff when the Poke5 has roller skating elephants?
Do you get tied into some incompatible software or update stream?

This is screwed. Q&A on https://shop.boox.com/products/poke5 says:
Quote:
Currently only the HK option has anything in stock. Will the US be receiving the full set (with magnetic case), anytime over the next few weeks?

BOOX SHOP May 15, 2023
Dear customer, we are sorry that we currently don't have a plan for stocking the Poke 5 in the US warehouse. We suggest ordering from the Hong Kong warehouse.
I can't believe my beloved Poke3 is over two years old, March 2021.

Last edited by Renate; 05-15-2023 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
"There are always alternatives!" - Mr. Spock
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 03:20 PM   #11
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
"There are always alternatives!" - Mr. Spock
I'm not paying €39 for shipping plus $8 for UPS "Access Point".
It would be cheaper to fly to Detmold.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:27 PM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Fair enough!

One more thing to consider: the price quoted usually includes the EU tax (or VAT) that we North Americans do not have to pay and wouldn't be charged for. It may still be more than you want to pay, but it's worth keeping in mind.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:17 AM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got it in my hands here in Ireland (pretty quick shipping!). Ask me anything

https://imgur.com/a/iKjCaDd
Old 05-16-2023, 05:18 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I've got it in my hands here in Ireland (pretty quick shipping!). Ask me anything

https://imgur.com/a/iKjCaDd
Do you have a link for where you purchased the Poke 5 for anyone else who wants one?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:51 AM   #15
Logseman
Orisa

I used the link on the first post. I ordered the Magnetic cover bundle from Hong Kong and it's taken a week to arrive.