Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I love milSF too, which is why I tried Ringo. Apparently, I just picked the wrong book...
Try "A Hymn Before Battle", which is the first in his "Posleen" series. Very good military SF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #137
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Try The Empire of Man Series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #138
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Try The Empire of Man Series.
Apache
Those are good, certainly, but not "pure" Ringo. They were co-written with David Weber.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #139
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
+1. I tossed this after a chapter or two. I am looking forward to the next 'Troy Rising' book, though, if there is going to be one. Me likes my BIG space battles
I'm hoping for a new VORPAL BLADE title. It's overdue.
Hopefully it'll be be out after he wraps up BLACK TIDE RISING.
(COUNCIL WARS is also waiting...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #140
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Try "A Hymn Before Battle", which is the first in his "Posleen" series. Very good military SF.
Hymn Before Battle was the one I tried. I didn't really rate it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #141
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Ryk E Spoor is another Baen author who writes fun, agenda-less space opera and fantasy. His novel Phoenix Rising has a warrior frog as one of the main characters, with a little sword and everything lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 AM   #142
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I do not see a single bad author in your post. Because you do not "like" an authors work does not make them a bad author.

bernie
Mobile Read threads are full of posts declaring this or that writer to be bad. There's even special joy taken in trashing books that are upheld by critics and academics as literary masterpieces. We see such dismissals regularly on threads with titles like "Which Books Do You Regret Reading?"

Gander, meet kettle. If it's OK for an MR member to say that their lobotomized millipede could have written Finnegans Wake, then you should have no objection to someone expressing their opinion that a given SF writer is "bad". Personally, I'd rather hear an argument detailing a writer's alleged faults than a one-word dismissal, but that doesn't mean such dismissals are forbidden.

Also: Couldn't the smack-forehead emoticon be interpreted to mean I twitch involuntarily? (I say that as an occasionally twitchy individual.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-10-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #143
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Have you read Mark Van Name? His first one doesn't necessarily have LOTS of space battles, but I remember the second one leaning in that direction. He's a Baen author. I can't remember the titles of the series he wrote, but can look it up if you want!
Yes, I've read his 'Jon & Lobo' series. I liked them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #144
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
His novel Phoenix Rising has a warrior frog as one of the main characters, with a little sword

...and a pistol by his side??
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #145
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
His novel Phoenix Rising has a warrior frog as one of the main characters, with a little sword
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...and a pistol by his side??
Mm-hmm!
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #146
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post

I have not read any Brad Torgersen, but now intend to do so. The mere fact that his short stories were nominated for a Hugo indicates that your opinion of his writing is not universally shared. .
Can't speak to his 2014 stories but the stuff in his Chicon7 Hugo/Campbell packet _all_ had the same plot; disaster, trek/escape, pioneering/promised land.

You could save yourself the repetition and just read about the Mormon trek to Utah under Brigham Young.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #147
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Can't speak to his 2014 stories but the stuff in his Chicon7 Hugo/Campbell packet _all_ had the same plot; disaster, trek/escape, pioneering/promised land.

You could save yourself the repetition and just read about the Mormon trek to Utah under Brigham Young.
But...like...with lasers, or aliens, right? Isn't it SF?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #148
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
But...like...with lasers, or aliens, right? Isn't it SF?
Been a couple years. As I recall one was under the sea, the others were in space. If you want that plot with lasers go watch Battlestar Galactica, both versions of the show did it better.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #149
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Hymn Before Battle was the one I tried. I didn't really rate it.
I just finished it. I enjoyed the second half more than the first. More action, pacing was better...more stuff 'happened.'

The tech was fun, though a few things made me go "huh?" Like,
Spoiler:
how can the suits run so fast without breaking off the legs of the occupant? Inertial dampening wouldn't stop joints and tendons from tearing off.

What I actually liked best about it was that while it was unabashedly the first of series, with story lines left open for other books, it was a completely satisfying self-contained novel. It didn't leave me feeling like it was just a first chapter. There was a definite feeling of "The End" rather than "To Be Continued...."

I should go find that thread of sf books that are NOT parts of series, because I'm getting kind of tired of that.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #150
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I just finished it. I enjoyed the second half more than the first. More action, pacing was better...more stuff 'happened.'

The tech was fun, though a few things made me go "huh?" Like,
Spoiler:
how can the suits run so fast without breaking off the legs of the occupant? Inertial dampening wouldn't stop joints and tendons from tearing off.
Argh, I have this issue every time Superman catches a falling person.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote