Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Kindle and Kobo?

I buy books from both Kobo and Kindle but from now on I'll probably only buy from Amazon as the Kobo Discount codes will no longer work in my country. I already have 80 Kindle ebooks and I'm considering buying a Paperwhite in addition to my Kobo Aura. Currently I use a tablet for my Kindle books but I don't find it a great experience for the most part. I could just convert the Kindle books and load them onto my Kobo Aura but I prefer the simplicity of just downloading the books directly to the device. I hate the process of loading epubs onto the device or messing around with micro-sd cards.

Does anyone else have two or more ereaders just so they can read books they purchase at different stores?

Am I being too extravagant? I've already spent a fair amount on Kindle books.

I know I'm lazy but I like to make reading and other media consumption as easy and painless as possible.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's worth it. There. Now you have your excuse. You know you want it. Buy it.

Seriously, now is as good a time as ever. The holiday season is coming around and Amazon is likely to release a new annual Kindle model. Even if you don't want it, it is a good time to get the current model at a discount. There has already been one Lightning Deal for $89 for the KPW2. And the price will probably drop as they dump old stock once the new device (theoretically) gets released.

How much is the convenience worth to you, in monetary value?

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-09-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typoos :D
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
adarnold
adarnold began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
We love our Kindle Fire HDX 10.9 machines! They are connected at the neck with Amazon, so purchasing from Amazon is a breeze. Had them for a year and wouldn't change. Initially irritated they had no SD card slot, but when you can email books to any Kindle or use Android apps to wirelessly transfer, what more could we wish for. I have always hated using USB so all transfers are wireless or drag and drop. Best of luck with whatever you get.
adarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Smile

...or you could install the Kindle app on your Kobo, if you fancy the "playing around with you device" kind of stuff, found here and here.

Last edited by xibalban; 09-08-2014 at 10:36 PM.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a Kindle PW2, a Kobo Aura HD, a Sony PRS-650, and a Sony PRS-350--all still in use. I bring all my books into Calibre and convert them all to ePub and AZW3 so I can read them on whichever device I choose. Maybe a little over the top--okay for sure a little over the top--but to answer your question, I don't find having two different e-readers at all too extravagant. I find it totally sensible.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Thanks for the answers. The convenience is definitely worth it for me. Anything I can do to make reading easier and more pleasurable means that I read more. I'll keep an eye out for any deals on the Paperwhite.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
chanfm
Enthusiast
chanfm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle PW3
The $89 lightning deal was for a certified refurbished PW2, not a new one. I managed to buy one of those. Would they sell a new PW2 for that price? I certainly hope they do as I am shopping for gifts.
chanfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I WAS purchasing books from several e-book providers, and had multiple devices to do just that sort of thing. But I gave up on that, because it was just way too much work and I stopped caring.

Eventually, I just switched to a unified Amazon experience. The Kindle Fire HDX for my tablet, and a Kindle for my e-reader. A much more simple experience, overall.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanfm View Post
The $89 lightning deal was for a certified refurbished PW2, not a new one. I managed to buy one of those. Would they sell a new PW2 for that price? I certainly hope they do as I am shopping for gifts.
Certified refurbished by the manufacturer might as well be new.

Except for the part where, never mind that -- it probably IS new. Returned after a day or 5, and manufacturers cannot sell a returned product as new.

tl;dr
I do not believe in refurbished, its just a fancy name for new stuff discounted.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-14-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: no post icon. that was weird...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
Aanya
Enthusiast
Aanya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I love my Kindle fire, last year I brought on a great offer (Christmas time) on Amazon along with a free gift was there. 60+ selected books here with me and I enjoy to reading these.
Aanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
R o d
R o d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I bring all my books into Calibre and convert them all to ePub and AZW3 so I can read them on whichever device I choose.
I'm not sure exactly what this means, but it sure sounds useful. Please forgive a newbie, but is there a source where I can find out more about this and with specific instructions on how to do it?
R o d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post
I'm not sure exactly what this means, but it sure sounds useful. Please forgive a newbie, but is there a source where I can find out more about this and with specific instructions on how to do it?
Have a look at the Calibre sub-forum.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
R o d
R o d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Have a look at the Calibre sub-forum.
I did that and it was a bit confusing. Mostly posts about technical problems that were way beyond the basics. I need a Calibre 101 for beginners, but I'll keep looking. Thanks.
R o d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post
I did that and it was a bit confusing. Mostly posts about technical problems that were way beyond the basics. I need a Calibre 101 for beginners, but I'll keep looking. Thanks.
I think this guide is not quite up to date, but basically this is still how it's done in Calibre. Only for Kindle you can now choose AZW3 instead of MOBI.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Dear Author also has some great Calibre guides:

http://dearauthor.com/tag/calibre/
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote