Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
farstar
Edge User

USB connection and reading ebooks

Hello, I am a happy owner of an entourage edge in Europe.

However, I have a problem: I use my edge mainly as a desktop tool to read pdfs instead of reading them from a screen of my pc.

I usually have the usb port connected to the pc, since I save quite often pdfs to my edge. However, I cannot read them in the edge without disconnecting the usb, which is quite a pain.

Is there some way to read the pdfs I have just saved into my edge without having to unconnect the usb port physically?

thank you

Old 11-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
mrspaceman
Edge User

Sorry, but the Android operating system does not allow the device (the eDGe in this case) to 'see' the content of the SDcard and mount it to the PC at the same time.

(The location that you mount on the PC is an SDcard even if you haven't used a plug in SDcard).

There are apps available that will allow you to do this, but you have to have a 'rooted' device (if you're not sure what that means, then it's probably safer not to worry about it)

I don't believe there are any plans to allow this in the future (it 's a core Android issue, so Entourage will probably not change it either)

andy.

Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
farstar
Edge User

I do not understand why is that so. This is not user-friendly, and I do not seem why is required that to do so.

To answer again: really there is no way to keep constantly connected the edge to a pc via usb port and reading the pdfs saved from the pc into the edge, without having to disconnect the usb port each time???

Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
keng2000
Edge User

you can copy your PDF tp EE internal SDCard or External SDCard and open it without connecting to PC.

or

if you use wifi, you can try dropbox for on-line storage.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
borisb
Edge User

There are a number of other options.

One is to use DropBox. When you drop a PDF in a DropBox folder on your PC, it will appear in DropBox on your eDGe. You can get the eDGe version of DropBox from the App Store on the eDGe (Library - Store - Apps), and the PC version from http://www.dropbox.com/.

Another is to share a folder on your PC (perhaps one on your desktop) and then access it via ES File Explorer's "LAN" tab. You'll find ES File Explorer already install on the eDGe. In my own usage of this technique, I need to specify the PC's IP address rather than name, but maybe using the PC name will work for you.

Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
farstar
Edge User

I do not have wifi at work, and I do not want to be changing SD cards. The pdfs I read, very often require only a few seconds of my time, and if I had to save things into a SD card, take out the SD card from my PC, put it into the Edge ... I would not bother, and I would end up reading the pdf in my PC, which defeats the whole purpose of the edge.

There is internet at work, but with a cable (I cannot have internet via cable with edge, right?).

The ES solution, does it require internet?

The dropbox solution, does it require internet?

Thank you for all the answers.

Last edited by farstar; 11-06-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Dropbox requires Internet access, while ES File Explorer requires just a LAN (local network).

You can connect your eDGe to Ethernet via http://www.entourageedge.com/accesso...t-adapter.html (note that only specific models work, and other users have indicated that if the adapter has the model number "USB2106S", it's compatible).

An easier way than the SD card to share files is a USB memory key. If on your eDGe you're not modifying files, you can probably pull it out without dismounting it first.

Last edited by borisb; 11-06-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
farstar
Edge User

Thank you borisb for your reply. How should I connect the edge with ethernet? with a rj-45?

another possibility, that in the end possibly is the easiest one, is not to unplug the usb, but simply go to the dropdown menu in the edge and unmount every time I want to read pdfs, and mount them once I want to transfer files from the pc into the edge.

Possibly this is the easiest and fastest way, without the need to physically connect/disconnect things. Do you agree?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Yes, an rj-45 cable would be used.

Unmounting/remounting without removing the cable may well work - certainly a clever idea