Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-28-2023, 08:01 PM   #1
anguy
anguy began at the beginning.

Device: Leaf2
Best Android Reader App for epubs?

The title pretty much says it all. I welcome a lively debate on the subject. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Priorities of mine in rough order include being able to hide headers and footers, turn pages with the volume buttons, overall ease of use and stability.

I had issues with koreader crashing prior to installing 3.5. Just finished updates and haven't messed with it again, yet.

I have only spent a few minutes with the boox reader. I plan to remove a lot of the stock apps.

Running a rooted leaf2.

Thanks
anguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:43 PM   #2
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
The best reading app will always be the one you feel most comfortable reading with. And that's a very personal thing. On an Onyx device I prefer AlReaderX to any other. That doesn't mean it's the best for you.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:48 PM   #3
anguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
The best reading app will always be the one you feel most comfortable reading with. And that's a very personal thing. On an Onyx device I prefer AlReaderX to any other. That doesn't mean it's the best for you.

Thank you, I will try it out!

Perhaps I should rephrase the OP-- looking for suggestions.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:00 PM   #4
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
To be exact AlReaderX Eink, the latest version of which you can download here...

https://4pda.to/stat/go?u=https%3A%2...apk&e=83423404

https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=945616

Last edited by cellaris; 11-28-2023 at 11:07 PM.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:10 PM   #5
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
I personally use KOReader. It is hard to configure but once it is configured then it would be good to go.

Alternatively I used to use Moon+ Reader and ReadEra which is very user-friendly.
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:44 AM   #6
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
If you are annoyed by ghosting and/or want to configure the full refresh within the app then your choices are: Neoreader, Koreader, Alreader X (the e-ink version linked above) and KnownReader. Out of these Koreader has the best text rendering in my opinion and displays the book according to its CSS. Alreader X is also good. KnownReader has a lot of functionality, but makes Koreader look intuitive by comparison..

If you don't care about slight ghosting and image degradation when reading the world is your oyster. Try Moon Reader and Librera - both have an e-ink theme and are highly customizable.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:13 AM   #7
anguy

Thank you all for the suggestions! I will experiment and report back!
Old 11-30-2023, 07:53 AM   #8
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
For syncing books and position in books, I use fbreader. It may not be the best one out there, but I've been using it so long on so many devices, it's just familiar.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:52 PM   #9
anguy

Thanks hyegeek, I will try that as well!

I still haven't tested all of the above, yet, just got home from a work trip and will be testing tomorrow.

I forgot to ask about it in the OP but does anyone know if any of the above mentioned apps support vertical text display right to left for Japanese books?
Old 12-03-2023, 07:59 AM   #10
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Your best bet will be to try a few of the apps to see if they display correctly. My memory says that a book I read in readera with Hebrew words sprinkled throughout did display correctly. Not sure I've tried fbreader with Hebrew. I've never tried Japanese or any other langues like that.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:13 PM   #11
anguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
Your best bet will be to try a few of the apps to see if they display correctly. My memory says that a book I read in readera with Hebrew words sprinkled throughout did display correctly. Not sure I've tried fbreader with Hebrew. I've never tried Japanese or any other langues like that.
I'll test them as able and report back. Going to download them all later tonight.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:52 PM   #12
Anavim
Enthusiast
Anavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx BOOX Page, inkBOOK Onyx & Obsidian & Calypso+ (Android ;)
On BOOX Page (Leaf 3) I have practiced and can recommend:

- The above-mentioned AlReaderX eink version - completely configurable, does not respect css, footnotes at the bottom of the page, has a whole epaper optimization section in the options (uses "snow field" successfully

- Great Moon+Reader - has the option to respect or ignore certain css attributes.

- Very good CoolReader - also has the option to ignore css, own styles, support for Onyx e-ink readers...

- I really like FBReader - fast, customizable, with a long history, multi-platform... According to the author, the Premium version is free on Onyx readers.

- Neo Reader 3 is also good - it's a built-in application. It has a lot of customization options - sometimes just a little unpredictable.

They all have a full set of options to adapt the program to your own taste and preferences
Anavim is offline   Reply With Quote