Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
nomeata
nomeata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unhappy Boox Max HDMI mode not crisp

(This is about the Max Lumi, but probably applies to the other Max devices as well.)

I received my eagerly awaited Boox Max Lumi two days ago, and I had high hopes for the HDMI monitor mode. Unfortunately, I am facing troubles.

It can connect to my Linux laptop (a Thinkpad), xrandr shows the 2200×1650 resolution for the HDMI1 device, and I can show my screen there. But it doesn't look right: The fonts are frazzeled, and one-pixel-wide solid black lines turn out to to be dotted. This is in „Fast mode”, the other modes are worse in their own ways.

It looks as if the picture is not transmitted in a lossless way, but rather scaled down and up again somewhere? Or else compressed.

Same when using it from a Windows laptop.

Is there something I could check?

As an alternative, I tried to use VNC (MultiVNC on Android, x11vnc on my laptop). Now the text and lines are as crisp as one would expects from a high-res eInk display. But this way, the latency is just a bit too high, I can type a word or two before I see it. This was via Wifi, but also via USB cable (I didn't get USB networking working, but tried adb reverse). I am not sure why this is delayed; whether it’s the a problem with VNC in general, or this VNC client?

So, right now I can choose between low latency but bad quality (HDMI) or good quality but high latency (VNC). How I achieve both?
nomeata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
nomeata

I see, if I reconfigure the VNC client to also use Speed mode, then the latency is actually not too bad.

I still wish I could use the HDMI variant. Or maybe this is actually nicer, as I can then also use touchand only need one cable. (But then it was a bit silly to go for the Boox for its HDMI input when any other device would have worked as well.)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Is this still an issue? I'm looking for an e-ink monitor and considering the Max Lumi.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:15 AM   #4
nomeata

I did not find a way to solve this, unfortunately
Old 05-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
I have the Boox Max 3 and a Dasung HD-F.

They both have the same screen hardware (as does the Lumi), and I connected them both using HDMI.

Comparatively the performance of the Max 3 as a monitor is terrible to the point of being unusable IMO. The Dasung is optimised to do one thing, and it does it much better.

Unfortunately Dasung's support is very poor though.
rowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #6
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Several days ago, Onyx leaked a video demo on its Chinese social media Weibo.

It looks like the monitor mode improves a lot.

https://weibo.com/1870309315/Kf5ZKsP...309315_profile
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
Several days ago, Onyx leaked a video demo on its Chinese social media Weibo.

It looks like the monitor mode improves a lot.

https://weibo.com/1870309315/Kf5ZKsP...309315_profile
Is this mode available in the current product ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #8
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
I have the Boox Max 3 and a Dasung HD-F.

Comparatively the performance of the Max 3 as a monitor is terrible to the point of being unusable IMO.
How does the perform when it's connected through other ways other than HDMI ? I've heard it's better when you connect it through USB.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:22 AM   #9
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
I don’t know, but it seems unlikely to me when the HDMI port is specifically provided for it to be used as a monitor. I may be wrong

Last edited by rowe; 07-03-2021 at 01:38 PM.
rowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #10
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Is it true that the Lumi is much better for monitor usage than Max 2 (incl. Pro) or 3? I use a reference management software called Citavi (similar to e.g. Zotero). I would like to know if these devices, and especially Lumi, can handle Citavi sufficiently (fast enough) using them as monitor.
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #11
nomeata

I have not fully be able to reproduce it, but this youtube video claims to know a way out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVGKkl4H1d0
Old 10-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #12
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
On the Max3, I found screen-mirroring apps worked better than hdmi.

Can't watch the video, though, too shaky.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 04:32 AM   #13
nomeata

Which screen-mirroring app do you use? I.e. via the network?

Is there an app that mirrors the screen and at the same time relays the touche events to the computer, so that you can use it to draw etc?
Old 12-02-2023, 05:40 PM   #14
batman52
batman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia5530 DingooA320
I have tested spacedesk (https://www.spacedesk.net/), anydesk (https://anydesk.com/it), and somewhat tried superdisplay (https://superdisplay.app/).
For the moment I am using spacedesk over USB with my work setup (windows) as windows extended monitor, and anydesk over wireless with my personal laptop.
I found the latter to provide a better experience despite the (supposedly worse) latency over wireless, because I created an user with OS in light theme, resolution to match well the boox screen format, and screen mirror (isntead of screen extension).
Superdisplay is said to have better latency, but I could only test it with my boox poke4lite, and it did not seem to work correctly: I did see a mouse pointer move with low latency, but windows were not there.
batman52 is offline   Reply With Quote