Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-18-2022, 10:37 PM   #1
wishingstar
Enthusiast
wishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Lenovo Android 10
Unhappy Calibre crashes upon closing edit metadata window

Hi,

I've been having a strange issue with Calibre crashing every few books when i hit 'Ok' in the edit metadata window, no error message, it closes the metadata window and a second later Calibre crashes to desktop.

Sometimes (and I can't tell what's different about these instances), the last few metadata changes are reverted, so I'm thinking it may be a database update issue, but I don't know enough about these things to really tell.
wishingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reboot windows in safe mode and see if the crashes still happen.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2022, 03:17 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is the Library on a LOCAL hard drive?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:40 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which OS - Windows, MacOS or Linux?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:30 AM   #5
wishingstar
Enthusiast
wishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheesewishingstar can extract oil from cheese

Thank you all for responding.

- The library is on an internal local drive in a multi-drive desktop PC
- Rebooted in safe mode, kept opening and closing multiple child windows (metadata, convert, delete formats, preferences) for over 5 minutes and it didn't crash. I could keep trying if you'd like to make sure, but I think a look at some logs may be more helpful (if they're available)
Advert
Old 01-21-2022, 12:33 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If its working in safe mode it means some software on your computer is interfering. You will need to figure out what that is. Start with antivirus programs, shell extensions, UI tweakers and similar.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
wishingstar
Enthusiast

So I did some investigating, and I think I found the culprit: UltraUXThemePatcher. I use a dark theme in Win10 Pro and at one point I was switching themes with Calibre open, and it immediately crashed even though it was idle.

I know what the likely culprit is but I'm not sure how to fix the issue. Having a dark theme is core to how I use my PC, and it seems that Calibre is the only app that doesn't play well with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Note: Older versions of Calibre didn't crash (i've been using that theme patcher since windows 7 days). I'm not sure when the problem started.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can use dark themes in windows perfectly fine out of the box, so I am not sure what you need this theme patcher for?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:57 PM   #9
wishingstar
Enthusiast

Because the built in dark theme support is incomplete. There are a LOT of UI elements in W10 that don't get changed when you switch to the built-in dark mode.

I attached an example of the task manager and calibre itself in each case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_built-in.png
Views:	91
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	191857   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_patched.png
Views:	90
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	191858   Click image for larger version

Name:	ex1_built-in.png
Views:	83
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	191859   Click image for larger version

Name:	ex1_pathed.png
Views:	83
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	191860  
Old 01-24-2022, 10:29 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont need an extension for that. Just enable "show accent color on wind titlebars and borders" in the windows settings and choose an appropriate accent color. See for example: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-ea0ed40019a3
Old 01-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #11
wishingstar
Enthusiast

That option is checked in the screenshots I shared earlier, and I had the dark color 'storm' picked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	86
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	191861  

Last edited by wishingstar; 01-24-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:27 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No idea then, it works fine for me with that option. All windows including the calibre window have dark titlebars.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #13
wishingstar
Enthusiast

Thanks for trying to help. Not sure why Calibre is the only app that clashes with it, but I appreciate you giving ideas to try and resolve it.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:34 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should try the calibre 6 betas from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344064 they use Qt 6 which might not crash with your extension.

Tags
crash, metadata editor