Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
OLPCv2 - dual screen Ebook reader for $75 !

Quote:
The big news is that OLPC founder Nicholas Negrponte has just unveiled the design for the foundation’s second-generation laptop, which isn’t really a laptop at all but a double-screened, fold-up electronic book.

(...)

Negroponte says the cost of this 2nd-generation device, which uses dual-touch screens with 16:9 aspect ratios, will be kept to $75. (Compare that to the $188 cost of the foundation’s current first-generation XO laptop.) Costs will be kept down in part by using screens built for portable DVD players, which are rapidly coming down in price, Negroponte says. “The reason you can have the audacity to do this is that the 16:9 displays on DVD players are so inexpensive that to anticipate them costing $20 each is not out of the question,” he says.

(...)

Negroponte said the foundation plans to bring out the second-generation device by 2010. By that time, he added, the cost of the original XO Laptop will also have been brought below $100.
http://www.xconomy.com/2008/05/20/ne...its-an-e-book/
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
I assume it will be Sugar free too. Didn't the guy who designed and devlop the Sugar OS leave the OLPC foundation to start his own dealio?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume it will be Sugar free too. Didn't the guy who designed and devlop the Sugar OS leave the OLPC foundation to start his own dealio?

BOb
That's all I know. What makes me happy is that on one photo you can see one touch screen made into a keyboard. This means some advanced input. The only thing I'm worried about:

Quote:
screens built for portable DVD players
What does it mean ? Not e-paper, right ?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
What does it mean ? Not e-paper, right ?
I would say, that is NOT eInk but color LCD. Although perhaps it could be transreflexive screen so it could be read in sunlight as well as darkness.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)

Here are some pictures from the write up I saw on Gizmodo.

Last edited by Alisa; 05-20-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Very cool but my neighbour can eat his arm if they get anywhere near that price with a proper quality device and proper OS+BIOS.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I would say, that is NOT eInk but color LCD. Although perhaps it could be transreflexive screen so it could be read in sunlight as well as darkness.

BOb
The current OLPC uses a screen has a monochromatic mode for daylight usage. Presumably the screens that this uses will be the same.

The only problem I see is that two screens means more power drain, and two touchscreens mean even more power drain. Seeing that the OLPC was intended for developing countries, wouldn't the added drain make it less practical?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These are the dual indoor-and-sunlight displays, as on the existing XO-1 laptop.

The target total power consumption is quoted as 1 watt. The XO-1 was supposed to need 2-3 watts, but it actually needs more (5-8 watts?).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
These are the dual indoor-and-sunlight displays, as on the existing XO-1 laptop.

The target total power consumption is quoted as 1 watt. The XO-1 was supposed to need 2-3 watts, but it actually needs more (5-8 watts?).
No, these are "proposed" to be dual indoor-outdoor displays. We've not seen any in real use. Heck, until we can order them for development purposes, they barely qualify as "not vaporware".

I like the concept of a full-color, touch-sensitive, indoor/sunlight display that draws less than 1 Watt of power, but until I or others can actually *purchase* one, I'll hold off on jumping up and down with excitement.

(Yes, I *did* ask the people at Pixel-Qi if I could buy a couple of panels.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The one article I read noted that the project would be leveraging off quantities of scale for screens used in small portable DVD players (expecting them to get down to $20 ea.) --- anyone know what sorts of screens are available? I've seen LCDs, but have often wondered if there were any w/ OLEDs.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The one article I read noted that the project would be leveraging off quantities of scale for screens used in small portable DVD players (expecting them to get down to $20 ea.) --- anyone know what sorts of screens are available? I've seen LCDs, but have often wondered if there were any w/ OLEDs.

William
Certainly not at that price.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
b0rsuk
meles meles

From what I've heard - OLEDs are a bit overhyped. They're a promising technology, but currently notorious for burning out rather quickly. They're still looking for new materials to make them more durable.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Looks promising, maybe this will light a fire under Dell to make less expensive laptops
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
From what I've heard - OLEDs are a bit overhyped. They're a promising technology, but currently notorious for burning out rather quickly. They're still looking for new materials to make them more durable.
They're also highly succeptible to damage from water.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
formulajay
formulajay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
No, these are "proposed" to be dual indoor-outdoor displays. We've not seen any in real use. Heck, until we can order them for development purposes, they barely qualify as "not vaporware".

I like the concept of a full-color, touch-sensitive, indoor/sunlight display that draws less than 1 Watt of power, but until I or others can actually *purchase* one, I'll hold off on jumping up and down with excitement.

(Yes, I *did* ask the people at Pixel-Qi if I could buy a couple of panels.)

Derek
Have to agree with you on this point. The original OLPC XO laptops were projected at being just under a 100USD and ended up costing 188USD to produce. They were then offered to the general public under a "get one give one" program, so we did could not see them for at least 400USD. I would imagine that something very similar is going to happen with the second generation XO laptops.

Also, given the fact that these are expected to become a reality in 2010, e-ink technology is surely going to improve with time, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect cheaper, faster, better, "greener", and more durable ebook readers by then.

Just take a look at what ASUS was able to do. Shortly after the XO laptop became available they released a sub-notebook with a processor that is twice as fast, twice the amount of ram, twice the storage space, and sell it commercially for 299USD. I wonder what it costs them to make it. Granted it does not have the dual-purpose screen.
formulajay is offline   Reply With Quote