Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
How will Amazon counter the new Sony Daily Reader?

Wonder if Amazon will FINALLY provide firmware to add folders onto the Kindle now that Sony has announced its latest product - Touchscreen and Wireless. Folders are something that all Kindle users have been asking for since the dawn of time.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I doubt it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
The new sony model is clearly a better value proposition than the Kindle 2. Amazon is in a great position to respond though in the 2nd round of the ebook wars. round one went to Amazon. round 2 is opening with a vicious left jab and right cross by sony. amazon must counter quickly or else it will lose the crowd. i can hear them starting to cheer for sony.

amazon needs to get more aggressive! get those book publishers lined up! i want all heavy expensive textbooks in ebook format for 50% off.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Wonder if Amazon will FINALLY provide firmware to add folders onto the Kindle now that Sony has announced its latest product - Touchscreen and Wireless. Folders are something that all Kindle users have been asking for since the dawn of time.

They're going to add ePub support.

I wish.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
The new sony model is clearly a better value proposition than the Kindle 2.....
Not sure I agree. The new 6" doesn't have wireless, and apparently the screen isn't as crisp; the new 7" with wireless costs $400, or a full $100 more than the K2. Plus Internet access is limited to the Sony store.

I don't think Amazon can do all that much right now, except continue to refine the Kindle and make reading software for more mobile devices and PC's.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Sigh. I sure would like folders, though.

But I agree--in my admittedly fallible opinion, the 7 inch screen doesn't make up for the fact that the wireless only connects to the sony store and not to the rest of the web. And the higher price is to ouch.

Though the Sony can read e-Pub, can't it?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm guessing they will delete some more books
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Sigh. I sure would like folders, though.

But I agree--in my admittedly fallible opinion, the 7 inch screen doesn't make up for the fact that the wireless only connects to the sony store and not to the rest of the web. And the higher price is to ouch.

Though the Sony can read e-Pub, can't it?
All Sony Readers except the PRS-500 can read ePub and Sony is changing their eBook store to ePub only. So that will be a big hit to Amazon and AZW. People with other brand readers that have ADE will be able to use the eBook store. Amazon needs ePub to survive (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
People with other brand readers that have ADE will be able to use the eBook store. Amazon needs ePub to survive (IMHO).
I wonder... has someone with another ADE supported reader like the BeBook, EZ Reader or Opus tried to connect it to the Sony eBL 3.0 software?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Amzon has the Big "O" factor behind it..... Sony may be a force, but I know that when ppl see my reader they ask "Is that a Kindle?".......
Branding is 1/2 the battle....Sony will be a player, but it'll take years for Amazon to lose out completely.

Besides, if you spend 300+ for a reader, you think your gonna ditch it when a newer model comes out?!?!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
All Amazon really needs to do is firmware upgrades and add formats (really just ePub) to their store. As pointed out on Teleread, the Sony is starting out with the wireless connection only being allowed to access Sony's store. This takes away from a lot of the functionality that the Kindle has, especially being able to connect to sites like MobileRead and Feedbooks to download free books. Of course, Sony does have all those free Google Books ePub files. So who knows. I also like to use the Kindle to go on mobile news sites, though (especially NYT and WSJ).

I think a simple firmware upgrade to support ePub would probably suffice. Don't forget, you get a wireless connection from Amazon for $100 less than Sony. I like physical keyboards, too. As far as the new Sony is concerned, I'm most interested in the free newspaper subscriptions. Teleread reported, "It will have magazines and newspapers as will as books and there will be no monthly fees or transaction charges."

Mostly, though, Amazon just needs to get access to library books. ePub support and some kind of deal with Adobe will be the most important part of that.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Teleread reported, "It will have magazines and newspapers as will as books and there will be no monthly fees or transaction charges."
The Kindle has "magazines and newspapers" and "no monthly fees or transaction charges" for wireless delivery. I'm sure Sony will be doing the same (charging for magazines and newspapers, but not extra for delivery).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Love the competition. It will make all the devices better. Sony just hit a home run. Kindle, you are at-bat.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I wonder... has someone with another ADE supported reader like the BeBook, EZ Reader or Opus tried to connect it to the Sony eBL 3.0 software?

BOb
The eBookstore from Sony has yet to be converted to ePub. Once that happens, then other people can use it with an ADE compatible device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Do the new Sony models have folders? I have not seen any mention of that in the press release.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote