Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Maverynthia
Enthusiast
Maverynthia began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 3 8.0 /Samsung Galaxy S5 / PC
Solution for Japanese title in "EN" Calibre

So Calibre has the BUG (Yes it's a BUG Mr. Goyal not a FEATURE) if you are in the EN version to convert Japanese titles to Chinese Pinyin which is unacceptable because the books state they are in language field they are Japanese and Chinese isn't Japanese, so why aren't they converted to romaji.

Now the solution that put forth by Mr. Goyal is to "Just put your Calibre into Japanese!" Well some of us have translated books that use the Japanese title or some of us WANT to use the Japanese titles OR some of us are learning Japanese and having the whole program in Japanese is well, silly as we don't understand it (yet). THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION AT ALL.

SOLUTION:
You want to go into the C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\localization or the (x86) if on 32bit Calibre under 64bit windows and extract the locales.zip. (Might want to make a backup) Keep the locales.zip open in the archiver and open the ja folder. In the extracted folder open your flavor of English (or other language), AU, CA, or GB and grab the message.do plop it into the ja folder in the archive.
(Theoretically you can just move it from the EN_** folder into the ja folder and rezip too...)
Set Calibre to "Japanese" and it should be in English, however converting all the titles to romaji and not pinyin.
You might need to do this at every update unfortunately as this BUG isn't going to get fixed and I don't know about setting custom locales to where you can make this permanent.

Note this doesn't auto censor book titles you don't want people to see ;3

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you accidentally delete all your books and cause the universe to implode while doing this. Also not responsible if this causes any other bugs to manifest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	locale.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	147123  
Maverynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:39 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Maverynthia - Have you tried putting a copy of the ..\Calibre2\resources\localization\locales.zip file into the configuration resources folder and making the changes there - i.e. %appdata%\calibre\resources\localization\locales.z ip

See ==>> Overriding icons, templates, et cetera

Assuming that works as it should, your modified locales.zip will be used and installing a new version of calibre will leave it as is.

I have successfully overridden a number of items in Calibre2/resources.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
Maverynthia
Enthusiast
Maverynthia began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 3 8.0 /Samsung Galaxy S5 / PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Maverynthia - Have you tried putting a copy of the ..\Calibre2\resources\localization\locales.zip file into the configuration resources folder and making the changes there - i.e. %appdata%\calibre\resources\localization\locales.z ip

Assuming that works as it should, your modified locales.zip will be used and installing a new version of calibre will leave it as is.

BR
Thanks, I wasn't sure where the folder exactly was

I tried putting it in the folder and it appears that Calibre ignores the locales.zip. So.. :/

Last edited by Maverynthia; 05-11-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Maverynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
If you do this, Japanese books will show up in Japanese or in romaji? Will that work with books in tategaki as well?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add books, conversion, japanese, locale, solution