Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
EssKayEss
EssKayEss began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Problem during firmware upgrade to 1.1.00.xxxxx on PRS505 - Need HELP!!!

I have a weird problem with the upgrade of firmware.

Did the usual installed the latest version of the library reader software, downloaded the firmware update, fully charged the reader using an external charger and proceeded with the update.

When I ran the update program, it recognised the older firmware and flashed the newfirmware. Then it rebooted the reader

and then rebooted the reader...

and rebooted again...

and again...

and again...

and so on.

So now my reader is stuck in an endless reboot cycle, the only screen which displays is as per the attachment, then the reader reboots, displays this screen and then reboots again.

A couple of things.

1. the Sony library software can read the books on the reader, as well as sync.
2. Calibre is able to read and transfer books off the reader.
3. When I run the update over again, it says the firmware is up-to-date ie v1.1.00.xxxx and the reader does not need an update.
4. It enters this endless cycle as soon as it is disconnected from USB cable.

One more thing - when I press the reset button the reader stops its boot cycle/recyle exactly at the moment the reset button is pressed. So if the screen diplay is blank the cycle will stop at that point. If the screen display is per the attachment it will stop at that point.

This cycle will restart once the power switch is slid to the "on" position and it takes the reset button to stop the endless boot/reboot cycle again.

I am guessing I must have pressed a key or something during the flash, though after much experience with flashing other gadgets, I have learned to keep my hands off the gadget till the flash cycle is fully completed. More likely some file or the other from the upgrade must have been flashed incorrectly or not flashed at all.

Anyway I was wondering if there is any way to flash/erase the system files on the reader, directly from the computer using a USB cable. This would probably let me use Sony's firmware upgrade again.

I have even tried the hack solutions on this board using both SD and MSP cards. However since the reader boot cycle does not even reach to the point of reading the memory cards the flashing through a card solution does not work.

I'm not very technical but will be able to manage instructions for windows or linux.

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-reader.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	14663  

Last edited by EssKayEss; 07-25-2008 at 11:30 AM.
EssKayEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Looks like it doesn't like some of the books you have on it. Delete all books from the internal storage and optionally format it (you can do it from Windows). That should stop the reboots.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
EssKayEss

igorsk,

Thanks. Tried that just now formatted it as FAT, and when it was disconnected it back to boot/reboot cycle again.

the Sony Library shows the reader as connected (see screenshot)

Calibre does give an error

Code:
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'F:\\database/cache/media.xml'
but thats because the disk has just been formatted and the directory does not exist. It shows the reader memory as 210.1 MB which is about what it should be.

I have also reformatted in FAT32 (just in case) and it still did not work.

Please help if you can with some suggestions so that I can use the sony firmware updater again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eBook Library.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	14665  

Last edited by EssKayEss; 07-25-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, this is quite strange. I would expect format to fix it.
Maybe the update didn't complete for some reason.
To redo it:
1. Extract the updater exe with winzip/winrar/7zip
2. Edit the eBookUpdater/assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat file. Change the last zero to 1
3. Run "PRS-505 Updater.exe". You should be able to reapply the firmware update now.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
EssKayEss

That worked beautifully!

The device has booted back into the main screen again and the version number is now 1.1.00.18040.

Much karma to you.

I spent an hour with Sony tech support without any resolution this morning, and I'm glad I wrote here. I would have been giving sony $79.99 for an exchange to fix a problem which could be solved with 3 minutes of work.
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
kitycat
kitycat began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Ha Ha. congratulations.
kitycat is offline   Reply With Quote