Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
BillCollins
BillCollins began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3
file formats for reviewers?

Newby author here. If someone wants to be able to review my book on a Kindle, can I send them the mobi format proof file I downloaded from KDP for them to use for the review? If so, would I just attach it to an email?

I have calibre, but haven't figured it out yet. It seems awfully hard to use and get good results with. Can I input the mobi format proof file from KDP to convert to other formats?

I just had one reviewer say she could work with PDF for her Kindle or Ibook? I have it in PDF format, do I just attach it and she'll be able to load it on her Kindle?

So much to learn. Any help appreciated. Just trying to get the review what she needs.

Bill

Last edited by BillCollins; 08-05-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added a thought
BillCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, .mobi format will work fine for a reviewer's Kindle.

I can't imagine why someone would want a pdf instead of an ebook format. See if that reviewer can use ePub or mobi instead. They will have a much better reading experience, which may translate into a better opinion of your book. If they insist on pdf, make sure to make the pdf an appropriate page size for their ereader, whatever it is.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Indeed pdf is hard to manage on an e-reader I think. It's hard to change the text size or darkness of the text for ease of reading for one thing. Mobi or epub depending on the reader is much easier. You can send a book in pdf to your kindle via email and (if you put convert in the subject line) send it to your reader that way. Maybe that's what she meant. It is possible to convert from mobi to other formats in Calibre and it's pretty straightforward. Basically you load your book into Calibre then choose the convert button (and depending on if it's one or more books make that choice). On the menu that comes up just choose what format you want (right hand upper corner) and then click on ok and the program converts it for you. Of course that only works that simply if you don't have DRM on the file.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Indeed pdf is hard to manage on an e-reader I think. It's hard to change the text size or darkness of the text for ease of reading for one thing. Mobi or epub depending on the reader is much easier. You can send a book in pdf to your kindle via email and (if you put convert in the subject line) send it to your reader that way. Maybe that's what she meant. It is possible to convert from mobi to other formats in Calibre and it's pretty straightforward. Basically you load your book into Calibre then choose the convert button (and depending on if it's one or more books make that choice). On the menu that comes up just choose what format you want (right hand upper corner) and then click on ok and the program converts it for you. Of course that only works that simply if you don't have DRM on the file.
Converting from PDF is a very bad idea under any circumstances, and crosses the line into stupidity if you have the original EPUB/MOBI/anything.

Best idea in my opinion is to send EPUB, and the .mobi created by kindlegen/KDP, to work on whatever device the reader prefers.

If sending a PDF, I would advise you to write a very strong disclaimer that you are not responsible for any of the formatting and that to see the book as it is intended to be viewed one should use the EPUB/MOBI.

There absolutely will be people who leave a bad review merely for their own stupidity in trying to read a PDF on an e-ink device -- or convert one.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-06-2014 at 02:05 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could send the Mobi, KF8, and PDF and let your reviewers decide which format to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
BillCollins
BillCollins began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3
I fed the mobi downloaded preview file from KDP into calibre and converted it to epub using the default settings. It brought in the book cover into epub, which I don't even know if it should be in epub or not; seems I remember someone mentioning something about duplicate covers if you do? What the conversion did not do was import the page of photos that lead into EACH of the 14 Chapters in the book. What am I missing? (Besides those pages.)

Also, while on the subject; how do I convert just the first few pages to put online as as sampling of the book for people to read on Goodreads?

Last edited by BillCollins; 08-08-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling correction
BillCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it was present in the original, it should be present in the conversion?

To only post a few chapters, you need to open the EPUB (MOBI does not support editing) in an editor like Sigil or calibre's editor and simply delete the files after, say the first one or two.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Bill, I've had many reviewers request a pdf for the review copy and no one has ever complained about the quality. What I did was convert an epub (I know you're working with mobi) in Calibre to a pdf. But I actually made two different pdfs. I'll explain.

When I selected the book to convert in Calibre (and again it was epub to pdf) BEFORE I CONVERTED IT, I selected (on the right) "Page Setup" (three little gear icons). Then in the "Output profile" box I selected "Generic e-ink" (which makes a pdf that will fit an e-reader) clicked the "OK" button in the lower right and Calibre did the conversion. Then I went back and repeating the process this time rather than selecting "Generic e-ink" in the "Output profile box" I selected "Default Output Profile" (which produces a pdf made to be read on a computer screen). Then of course I clicked ok again and Calibre made the pdf. Then I sent both pdfs to the reviewer pointing out the distinction between the two (I actually labeled the files like "MyNovelNamebyGreggBellPdfForEreader.pdf" and something similar for PdfForComputer.)

There is A LOT of flexibility on the receiving end for pdfs (changing font size and such).

I agree with the people here that epub is a much cleaner read, but you gotta remember a lot of the guys here (I love you guys!) are purists and the slightest divergence from purity is abhorrent to them. (In other words, for reviewers pdfs are just fine!) (And remember--they're asking for them!)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I agree with the people here that epub is a much cleaner read, but you gotta remember a lot of the guys here (I love you guys!) are purists and the slightest divergence from purity is abhorrent to them. (In other words, for reviewers pdfs are just fine!) (And remember--they're asking for them!)
Purist.

I agree, I just think if you are going to be sending a PDF you should also send other formats as well.

It certainly doesn't hurt.