Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What Gadgets do you plan on Buying this Holiday Season?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Kobo Arc, Nexus 7, Nook Tab, etc) 47 28.83%
Non-LCD eReader (Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Sony, etc) 33 20.25%
Smartphone (Android, iPhone, Windows, etc) 19 11.66%
Media Player (Galaxy Player, iPod touch, etc) 7 4.29%
MP3 Player (Cowon, iPod nano, Sansa Clip, Sony etc) 6 3.68%
Computer (desktop, laptop, netbook, ultrabook, etc) 24 14.72%
Other (please specify) 10 6.13%
No new gadgets for me this holiday season 60 36.81%
Not interested in this thread, but love to vote in polls 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #46
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I voted for:

LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Kobo Arc, Nexus 7, Nook Tab, etc)

AND

Computer (desktop, laptop, netbook, ultrabook, etc)

But they're really just one device. I can't imagine not picking up a Windows 8 Pro tablet With a keyboard dock.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Samsung Ative Smart PC (11.6") on AT&T, so I prolly should have also included the smartphone catagory.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #47
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm gonna go nuts and buy a Roku.
I recomend a BluRay player with the Streaming
http://www.walmart.com/browse/tv-vid...ab_value=Store

You play blurays dvds cds & streem Netflex amazon utube hulu and many many more!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I recomend a BluRay player with the Streaming
http://www.walmart.com/browse/tv-vid...ab_value=Store

You play blurays dvds cds & streem Netflex amazon utube hulu and many many more!
I thought about going that route, but I just don't buy, rent, borrow, or even currently own very many DVDs... at all. A UHF antenna, a Netflix account and Roku will easily satisfy my weekend visual-media needs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #49
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Other - It's already been ordered for my birthday which is coming up. It's a Pioneer region-free DVD player. This will allow me to watch DVDs from throughout the world, and not be limited to those made for the American market.

For example, remember the three Michael Caine Harry Palmer movies from the 60s (The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin and The Billion Dollar Brain)? They are not currently available in the US, but are easily obtainable and affordable from Amazon UK.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #50
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I could have said Other, but "Not interested in this thread, but love to vote in polls" was too good to pass by.

If there seems to be a truly stupendous deal on the Microsoft Touch Mouse or the Wedge Touch Mouse (tools for Windows 8 without a touch screen), I might go for it. But even as I am writing this, the idea goes through my mind that I should give this kind of technology another year or two to mature.

And if there's a Thanksgiving week (when you get the best electronic specials in the US) Kindle Keyboard 3G for, say, $50, I would buy it for when one of the devices owned by a family member dies out warranty, and/or for parts. Last year, I paid $90, and some places had it for $85, so this isn't totally dreaming.

All in all, love to vote in polls was the right answer.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-30-2012 at 10:36 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #51
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I voted other.

Buying another 1930's camera

sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I voted other.

Buying another 1930's camera

Cool; it'll be great for taking family portraits

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #53
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I'm gonna be building a home media server with parts I can pick up during xmas sales. Other than that, I have all the gadgets I want at this time.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #54
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I was actually contemplating spending some of my money on books to read on my current eReaders.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
I was actually contemplating spending some of my money on books to read on my current eReaders.
Now why would you go and do that? You're excused from this thread.

To imagine that some people would actually read on their devices... utterly shameful.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #56
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Now why would you go and do that? You're excused from this thread.

To imagine that some people would actually read on their devices... utterly shameful.
It’s like having a banana and eating it too. How disgraceful
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #57
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
iPhone 5 and iMac Mini.. maybe Nexus 10 as well. I'm a Gadget Junkie.. very sick man here..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #58
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I voted "no new gadgets for me this holiday season" since I already upgrated everything recently. My oldest gadget would be my Ipad2, but I have no desire to upgrade that. No Ipad3 or Mini for me. I think my next gadget will be a front-lit e-ink device, if Sony comes with a good one next year.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #59
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'll need to replace my Simple Touch (one of the page turn buttons is failing), so I counted that under Non LCD ereader.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #60
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am a self-confessed gadget freak. My phone is off contract, just waiting for the Windows 8 phone. I want a 10" tablet, and Christmas is a great excuse. Finally, my ultrabook is 1 1/2 years old. I use it all day long for work and play. I may get one of those tablet computers (that can run windows, so I guess I am looking for the Surface Pro) and can log into my work system. Frankly, I don't think anyone else is getting my anything. I used to get jewelry, but since I am not going downtown every day (once a week), I have enough. Stopped buying work clothes. So electronics is all I have.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote