Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #31
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Tom Holt, Jasper Fforde

Douglas Adams is widely regarded as having been THE writer for comedic SF, on the strength of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and its sequels. No big surprise there, as he captures that sort of "logical surrealism" that makes Monty Python so fun. Ask just about any SF reader, and they've at least heard of him.

What I don't get is why Tom Holt hasn't made the same jump; almost nobody I've met has heard of him, unless it's from me - yet he's published over two dozen books that are very "Adamsesque," and his latest book, Doughnut, just came out.

The bulk of Holt's work is modern-day fantasy, usually in the form of follow-ups to or reinterpretations of classic myths and legends. Expecting Someone Taller is a sequel to the Ring Cycle. Flying Dutch examines why the captain of the Flying Dutchman is of utmost importance to the stability of the global economy. Only Human is a story about Jesus Christ's younger and also-divine brother, Kevin. Here Comes the Sun shows what can happen when one skimps on maintenance for the (mechanical) sun. Yes, they're as brilliantly insane as they sound.

Two important notes, though. First, he's written some "historical fiction" that is neither funny nor surreal; these have more traditional covers than the "stick figure" or "simple/cartoon" covers of his funny stuff. Second, The Portable Door was the first of seven (maybe eight, as I don't know about Doughnut yet) in a series, where the other books are independent.

Jasper Fforde is likewise British and quirky, but more serious. His "Thursday Next" books take place in a world where authors are the role models that athletes are today, going to a show means you might be one of the lucky few who gets to play a role, and - by the way - it's possible to enter the Bookworld and affect the plot, especially if you've got the original manuscript. The "Nursery Crimes" books are a spinoff series, and "Shades of Grey" is a bizarre tale of a world where social status is determined by what colors you're able to see.

Both are well worth reading, if you like odd British writers.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is it possible that someone doesn't know who Douglas Adams is?!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Differences in perception, I guess. I would regard Jasper Fforde as the author of mildly amusing but rather formulaic books. Certainly not a "great author" for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #34
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I know Tom Holt well, ever since the wonderful Expecting Simeone Taller, and have read much of his output since. I agree he is worth a look for anyone who likes (more than) a dash of humour or the surreal in their sci-fi/fantasy stories.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #35
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I used to love Tom Holt, but I think his second book - Who's Afraid of Beowulf - was the high-water mark, and it all felt a bit samey from there until I stopped buying them.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejaxn View Post
A lot of foreign writers are overlooked. Two wonderful Spanish writers are Carlos Ruiz Zafon (slightly gothic thrillers set in the Spanish Civil Wat) and Arturo Perez Reverte (historical thrillers). Translations are excellent so there is no awkwardness that sometimes happens with other books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
I second Carlos Ruiz Zafon. His books are AMAZING.
I've never heard of him. Could you recommend me some of his books. The Shadow of the Wind seems really good.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #37
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejaxn View Post
A lot of foreign writers are overlooked. Two wonderful Spanish writers are Carlos Ruiz Zafon (slightly gothic thrillers set in the Spanish Civil Wat) and Arturo Perez Reverte (historical thrillers). Translations are excellent so there is no awkwardness that sometimes happens with other books.
+1 for both!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #38
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Is it possible that someone doesn't know who Douglas Adams is?!
Possible, but unlikely...which is why I used him to introduce Holt.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #39
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I love J.M. Coetzee. I did a class in university on South African authors and we read 'Waiting for the Barbarians.' I have since read nearly all his others. And then he won the Nobel Prize.

The year I lived in New Zealand, I read a few books I loved by an author named Elizabeth Knox. I have never seen her books outside NZ but they were fabulous.

As for less-known Canadians, does anybody read Gail Bowen? She has a great mystery series featuring a political science professor who amateur sleuths.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
David Dalglish. He's a fantasy author who has been slugging it out in the indies for years now and has recently had two of his series picked up, one by Orbit, the author by Amazon's 47North imprint. If you like action packed, pulp fantasy/swords&sorcery his stuff is a fun read.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #41
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yep, have to agree with David Dalglish. Also in the same genre worth reading is Daniel Arneson.

In mystery/thriller I look forward to Linda Prather's novels, she has a new Catherine Mans' novel coming out in a couple of months.

For romances - the sweet romance variety, not smut, I love reading Donna Fasano book. She used to write for Harlequin under the name of Donna Clayton.

Karen Rose and Karin Slaughter are high up on my fav author list too.
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #42
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Kage Baker. Her Company series is one of my favorite series ever. She also wrote fantasy, but personally, I prefer her science fiction books.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
As for less-known Canadians, does anybody read Gail Bowen? She has a great mystery series featuring a political science professor who amateur sleuths.
I enjoy her books. Having them set in Saskatchewan is a plus for those of us somewhat familiar with the place .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #44
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
How about Christopher Brookmyre? British writer of dark comedy-thrillers - all of them a delight to read (IMHO). Definitely worth a look. Maybe a little like a Scottish Carl Hiaasen only not quite so slapstick?

I'd recommend 'Boiling a Frog' as a good starting point.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #45
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I second Mr Brookmyre . Really very good.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote