Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #31
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've been reading with backlit LCDs before going to sleep since my old Clie and never had an issue. I think one of the issues I read is lights flashing in the room from routers and other devices while you sleep can disturb you. I make sure the room is pitch dark and once I got to sleep I'm out with no issues.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #32
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There was a study that came out a few months ago, can't remember exactly who did it, although I keep meaning to ask one of the professors at work that studies sleep stuff about it and what her opinions of the research were. But it did find some effects of staring at lcd screens before going to bed.

I spend basically all day staring at computer screens, and a good chunk of the evening too. I'm definitely not the best sleeper, and find it will take me quite some time to get to sleep frequently. Now, when I'm on vacation, and I literally do everything I can to avoid looking at a computer, I suddenly find I can get to sleep much earlier in the evening. Obviously there's a lot of factors involved there, but I do kinda wonder if there's some relationship. Wouldn't completely surprise me.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Maybe, if you're staring at a screen, it would influence you. But I never stare, I read... (and if I do start staring, it means I should put my book away and start sleeping ).

often, when I talk with people (collegues and such) about this, and I mention I turn down my backlight as far as it will go and change the colours to a dark gray on a black background, they often respond with: but how do you see it then? Which leads me to believe they haven't even tried it and are just repeating what somebody else said...

If I use that Mighty Bright, I get more light than if I use the backlight of my device...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #34
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Maybe, if you're staring at a screen, it would influence you. But I never stare, I read... (and if I do start staring, it means I should put my book away and start sleeping ).

often, when I talk with people (collegues and such) about this, and I mention I turn down my backlight as far as it will go and change the colours to a dark gray on a black background, they often respond with: but how do you see it then? Which leads me to believe they haven't even tried it and are just repeating what somebody else said...

If I use that Mighty Bright, I get more light than if I use the backlight of my device...
Mighty Brite is a different kind of light than LCD.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #35
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
After a bought the orizon, i sleep better for a while. As I took the "read in bed before sleeping" habit again.
I don't think having a bright light in your eyes will help you to sleep (quite the contrary), but if the screen is dim, well.
Reading help your brain emptying the cases, so, better sleep.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-02-2011 at 03:04 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #36
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The light doesn't bother me so much on my iPad, since the stanza ereader app allows light text on dark background. I can even adjust the brightness by a simple gesture.

Rather, it's the visible pixel structure that bothers me. I'll upgrade the iPad when they come out with a retina or near retina display.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #37
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
backlit iPad

I read on my iPad occasionally. Generally I use it in an environment that has low or moderate ambient lighting. The reading apps I use {Stanza, Kindle and 3D bookshelf} can be adjusted so as to minimise backlighting problems. Used thus, I don't find any ill effects. If I read intensively for extended periods on a backlit screen, I do find I get some degree of eyestrain--so for long sessions i use my Kindle. But otherwise, I haven't noticed any difficulties.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote