Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #346
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It can be changed, but I'm not sure if it is easy. The post after the one you quoted had a link to instructions in German but it has been discussed here before.

But, why do you think the hyphenation needs to be improved? There was a firmware version that had it wrong, but other than that version, it is good.
For me, I'd be fine with 2/3 instead of 5/5. Then I'd have more words hyphenated and less wide space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #347
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Amasis one of the build in fonts, didn't have time to adapt my sideloaded fonts to the new rendering, they are a bit more contrasted in 2.5 aswell.

You just have to install/modify the hypenation dictionary, quite simple.
Here is an english thread that explains the procedure:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184838
Thanks. I did download a better English hyphenation file. So if I do get an Aura HD, I'm all set to put it in place.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #348
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The difference between a Kindle PW and the Aura, both with sleep covers, is 40 grams. That is 1.41 ounces. From my perspective, that is pretty insignificant. The difference between the Glo and the Aura with sleep covers is twice that. Actually, seeing that folks with Kindle PW don't complain about the weight makes me think that the weight of the Aura is probably less of an issue than I thought it would be.
I think the weight issue is one of deceptiveness. 320 grams sounds like a lot but in reality, it's only 11.2877 ounces.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #349
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think the weight issue is one of deceptiveness. 320 grams sounds like a lot but in reality, it's only 11.2877 ounces.
Aura is 420 grams with cover. That's close to half a kg. And it's bigger than Kindles I have so that's the reason I am maybe getting deceived.
I will have to wait and see
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #350
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
The paperback I'm just reading is exactly 997 grams (35.168 ounces). One third of that weight should work fine for some dozens of books as epub files.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #351
wizzard
The Reader
wizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watch

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
My SmartCover has just arrived (UK). Just need the Aura now!
So is the back of the smart cover shaped like the back of the Aura?
wizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #352
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Aura is 420 grams with cover. That's close to half a kg. And it's bigger than Kindles I have so that's the reason I am maybe getting deceived.
I will have to wait and see
420 grams is still only 14.8151 ounces. Less then a pound.

The fact that it's larger is why some think it will be heavy. But it's not heavy. Hardcover pBooks are heavier and so are a lot of paperback pBooks.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #353
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
Yes it is.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #354
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
I received my sleep cover this morning - yes it has the unusual zigzag-shaped back - the 'hills' and 'valleys' are not very pronounced though. I haven't received the reader yet so I can't do any better comparisons.

In addition, for anyone who's interested, the back cover is a plastic box cradle - no leather covering at all. The front cover is flat and has a soft-feel matte-black leather outside cover (with 'kobo' embossed in the bottom right corner) and a slightly fuzzy-feel inside cover. The front cover will bend right back on itself for one-handed reading. The fuzzy interior has some traction so shouldn't slide all over the place if you prop it on your knee for no-handed reading. There is a magnetic closure but no fastening strap. Good - no strap to get in the way. Bad - may not be as secure holding it shut in a stuffed bag. Only time will tell which.

I weighed it - it's 104g - which is just about the same weight as my Kobo Glo Gecko Slimfit sleep cover.

Finally, is it worth £40 GBP? No. Are there likely to be lots of 3rd-party alternatives any time soon? I wouldn't have thought so if the AuraHD really is a limited edition model.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #355
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I received my sleep cover this morning -

Finally, is it worth £40 GBP? No. Are there likely to be lots of 3rd-party alternatives any time soon? I wouldn't have thought so if the AuraHD really is a limited edition model.
I ordered my cover Sunday, but it hasn't shipped yet. I hesitated because I was hoping for more color choices but since it is a limited edition reader I thought that might never happen, so I went ahead and got black (only choice left). My reader arrived yesterday though! I was so happy to get it early so I can use it on vacation this weekend. I love it...I really like the size. I stuck it in my Anuschka cover (my iPad Mini goes in it usually) and it's the perfect width but too tall...but it will work until the sleep cover comes.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #356
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I weighed it - it's 104g - which is just about the same weight as my Kobo Glo Gecko Slimfit sleep cover.
Thank you, weight with the sleep cover was worrying me a bit, before I ordered, I could only find one site listing weight and it had the sleep cover at 180g. I ordered anyway, but was hoping it would be lighter than that!

I thought the price was high, however, I like covers on all my readers and I wasn't sure there'd be a lot of aftermarket covers.

Now I just hope the reader with cover will fit my favorite little folding stand!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #357
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Weight distribution makes a difference too. The kindle keyboard is heavier than the kpw, it's heavier than the aura, in fact, but the kpw feels surprisingly heavy to me.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #358
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:

In addition, for anyone who's interested, the back cover is a plastic box cradle - no leather covering at all. The front cover is flat and has a soft-feel matte-black leather outside cover (with 'kobo' embossed in the bottom right corner) and a slightly fuzzy-feel inside cover. The front cover will bend right back on itself for one-handed reading. The fuzzy interior has some traction so shouldn't slide all over the place if you prop it on your knee for no-handed reading. There is a magnetic closure but no fastening strap. Good - no strap to get in the way. Bad - may not be as secure holding it shut in a stuffed bag. Only time will tell which.

WoW - I thought it would be all it's money and more at £40 for ALL leather but to have a plastic back?
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #359
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
WoW - I thought it would be all it's money and more at £40 for ALL leather but to have a plastic back?
In Kobo's defence, it can be seen in some of the pics on their site. I had actually hoped it would be more like the original iPad cover, somehow latching onto the case and keeping it as svelte as possible (since the Aura's back is plastic already anyway)

I also think it's over-priced, but I wanted some protection and due to it's odd shape, there are no real alternatives out there, even universal cases/covers.

It's also going to make for some -thick- cases if they have the standard flat back... That's already pretty noticeable with current rounded back designs like the other Kobos or the Nook STs...
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #360
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
My sleep cover just arrived, never got email indicating it had shipped yet, despite the fact the charge showed up on my CC on the 17th. It came by FedEx from Hong Kong. The FedEx waybill says it shipped on 22 Apr. which I find hard to believe that it could make it from Hong Kong to here in one day. The kobo invoice in the box is dated 19 Apr.

It is a perfect fit, but not sure I like the way the cover flips back, kind of defeats the purpose of the shape of the back of the device as it is now covered when I am reading. Also makes the reader noticeably heavier. Will have to use it for a few days before I decide if I will keep using it or not.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote