Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Questions Regarding Large Libraries

I keep my libraries on memory cards. I currently have two cards. One has about 1800 epub books, the other has around 20000, mostly .txt. Since I'm now looking for a new reader, I'm curious as to what current units can support my libraries. So...

1) Is there folder support?
2) Collections?
3) Does the Kobo have a lengthy scan when inserting a memory card and/or booting?
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
1) No
2) No
3) Only the first time
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
crc
unknown

Nigol, thanks for the answers.

The lack of both collections and folders is disappointing, but not a deal breaker. At least it won't scan the memory card every time like my old Sonys did...

In the event that anyone has tried a Kobo Touch with a library in excess of a few thousand books, how well does the search function work for locating a particular book or author? (I can't see myself scrolling through 30k books to find one, and with no folders or collections to organize them, a good search capability would be necessary I think)
Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
I have been using calibre with the metadata plugboard, you can set it to rename the title to include series for example. Without that, it becomes difficult to search for a book. Hopefully the devs have already added a couple of missing feature and with the request for collections support it might not be impossible for them to implement them into the future.

Also about the scanning, it will only process the memory when it see's a file change. I haven't tested with a memory card yet, and don't know the behavior with multiple memory cards.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post

The lack of both collections and folders is disappointing, but not a deal breaker. At least it won't scan the memory card every time like my old Sonys did...

In the event that anyone has tried a Kobo Touch with a library in excess of a few thousand books, how well does the search function work for locating a particular book or author? (I can't see myself scrolling through 30k books to find one, and with no folders or collections to organize them, a good search capability would be necessary I think)
My books on my sd card are all in folders. I have the kobo touch. Thats how calibre copied them over. So that works there, not sure if thats what you mean. I have been waiting for Kobo to come around and add collections and series support etc., They were quite fast adding some of the other things. Yes the scanning takes some time, but I think thats the same for most Readers. Although it is possible kobo might come around and build that support into the desktop software.. where its all done on your comptuer and thus speeding things up on your reader.

good luck

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What people are hoping for is the ability to have folders / book-shelves on the Kobo itself, so that you could say have a book shelf "Mysterys" or "Romances", or if you prefer "A", "B" etc, and then, when you open that bookshelf see all the books on that shelf.

So not so much the "physical" layout (ie directories on an SD card, or directories as made by Calibre), but rather "logical" folders.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
crc
unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
I have been using calibre with the metadata plugboard, you can set it to rename the title to include series for example. Without that, it becomes difficult to search for a book.
Good suggestion, thanks! I'm not using calibre, but the tools I use can handle exporting the library under various naming conventions, so this could work.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Good suggestion, thanks! I'm not using calibre, but the tools I use can handle exporting the library under various naming conventions, so this could work.
What particular software are you using?

just curious.. Calibre seems to be the mainstream here.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
crc
unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
What particular software are you using?

just curious.. Calibre seems to be the mainstream here.
Admirable though it is, Calibre has never worked well for me.

To manage my library I wrote a library management system using PHP, Perl, Python, and Forth. It meets my needs (mass importing of books, easy uploads, drm removal, conversions from ReST, Markdown, and HTML to ePub, editing metadata, searching by tag, author, or title, mass renaming of files, and a browser-based UI). I'll be adding support for reading via a browser soon, along with a command-line based UI.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
In the event that anyone has tried a Kobo Touch with a library in excess of a few thousand books, how well does the search function work for locating a particular book or author?
I found that the search function was quite sluggish with *only* 800 books loaded. That is you'd hit the keyboard to put in the first letter and it would just pause. And pause and pause. So you'd do something and then something else and finally the books corresponding to the first letter would appear. Then your other touch strokes would get processed. Very irritating.

As I did a factory reset and have only loaded 20 or 30 books the difference in searching is quite noticeable. It's decently responsive with so, relatively, few books.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote