Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #241
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Also sounds very much like the way my Glo sleeps... Maybe I should sleep it outside of its sleeve for a while.
That sounds like a good idea. I never thought to ask because it is something I would just have done by now, if only to keep checking the temperature of the back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often;
Actually, the battery (nor the hardware) was ever ruled out at all. What Sameer said was it is unlikely to be the battery.
Ah, that's right - apologies.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #242
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Also sounds very much like the way my Glo sleeps... Maybe I should sleep it outside of its sleeve for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
That sounds like a good idea. I never thought to ask because it is something I would just have done by now, if only to keep checking the temperature of the back!
Mmm. But, I just don't want to do it really. I want to keep my Glo protected. Don't like leaving it out. But oh well. Last test then. After that I'm done. Getting tired of all this trying about and not reading. I did actually ask about it earlier (see below) but it sort of got lost in all the other things going on in this thread.

Quote:
I can't remember if we've covered this*... Are any of you with problem batteries using a cover or sleeve that touches the screen during sleep? And any of you without problems and without a cover or a cover/sleeve that definitely keeps clear of the screen, or vice versa...? I have a cover/sleeve kind of thing with soft *everything* and I suspect it touches the screen. So perhaps the sensors aren't completely inactivated and keep wanting to report screen touches?

*No pun intended...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #243
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Mmm. But, I just don't want to do it really. I want to keep my Glo protected. Don't like leaving it out. But oh well. Last test then. After that I'm done. Getting tired of all this trying about and not reading. I did actually ask about it earlier (see below) but it sort of got lost in all the other things going on in this thread.
Yes, I remember you asking. What battery life are you getting now?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #244
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I remember you asking. What battery life are you getting now?
Horribleness:

Code:
15 Mar 2013 08:38	100%	epub, sleep
16 Mar 2013 09:20	87%	on, sleep
17 Mar 2013 09:11	56%	on, sleep
17 Mar 2013 14:22	48%	on, sleep
Estimated to last 4.3 days when assuming linear drain, which it isn't. It has proven t be quite a generous estimate. So I'm guessing 3 days, again. I don't think I'll be finishing this test cycle though. It's obvious it's no better than before.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #245
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Horribleness:

Code:
Estimated to last 4.3 days when assuming linear drain, which it isn't. It has proven t be quite a generous estimate. So I'm guessing 3 days, again. I don't think I'll be finishing this test cycle though. It's obvious it's no better than before.
That's appalling! My hugely hungry mobile does better than with occasional wifi/app use, and the mobile signal here is poor so it is often seeking at full power.

I hate to suggest separating yourself from your beloved Glo, but I think you should return this one too (or arrange to send it to Sameer for analysis in exchange for a new unit that Kobo have checked first - after all, you have been more than reasonable in trying to mitigate any loss, so they shouldn't lightly mess you about).
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #246
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
That's appalling! My hugely hungry mobile does better than with occasional wifi/app use, and the mobile signal here is poor so it is often seeking at full power.

I hate to suggest separating yourself from your beloved Glo, but I think you should return this one too (or arrange to send it to Sameer for analysis in exchange for a new unit that Kobo have checked first - after all, you have been more than reasonable in trying to mitigate any loss, so they shouldn't lightly mess you about).
Appalling indeed. And I wasn't even using the Glo...

An exchange is being arranged indeed. I don't know if I'll be getting a tested Glo, nor do I know when I will get a replacement. But a Kobo person contacted me asking for my address to arrange for a replacement and a prepaid waybill so I can return my Glo to them directly (for them to look at), free of charge. So that's good.

I replied immediately (as in, within 2 minutes) with my address, and almost a week later I got another email from the same person asking me for my address... Great. So, though it's being worked on, apparently not too efficiently. No idea when to expect the replacement though. We'll see. In the mean time, I'll just stare at the wall.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #247
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Appalling indeed. And I wasn't even using the Glo...

An exchange is being arranged indeed. I don't know if I'll be getting a tested Glo, nor do I know when I will get a replacement. But a Kobo person contacted me asking for my address to arrange for a replacement and a prepaid waybill so I can return my Glo to them directly (for them to look at), free of charge. So that's good.

I replied immediately (as in, within 2 minutes) with my address, and almost a week later I got another email from the same person asking me for my address... Great. So, though it's being worked on, apparently not too efficiently. No idea when to expect the replacement though. We'll see. In the mean time, I'll just stare at the wall.
Adding insult to injury!

I assume you have your old Touch as backup, or another option? Alternatively, it's back to dead trees!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #248
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Adding insult to injury!

I assume you have your old Touch as backup, or another option? Alternatively, it's back to dead trees!
Yep indeed!

I do have my Touch yes. But I have to admit, in comparison to my Glo, its screen is soooooo blocky and it's soooooo slow, and when I press the top of the bezel, the light doesn't even switch on! So annoying. So basically, my Touch is stuck in a drawer, and I don't want to sell it because it was a present and it's still so young... Dilemmas dilemmas...

Luckily I don't have to travel much these days so I'm always near a charging socket, so though 3 days of battery is unacceptable, my Glo is still usable.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #249
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Yep indeed!

I do have my Touch yes. But I have to admit, in comparison to my Glo, its screen is soooooo blocky and it's soooooo slow, and when I press the top of the bezel, the light doesn't even switch on! So annoying. So basically, my Touch is stuck in a drawer, and I don't want to sell it because it was a present and it's still so young... Dilemmas dilemmas...
So the Glo really is that much better than the Touch - high recommendation from you! I hope they get this problem sorted so I can start think about getting one (I know, percentage-wise, based on what we have seen on here, I'm more likely to get a good one, but how many people who don't come here have the same short battery and think it's normal to have three days between charges?)

Quote:
Luckily I don't have to travel much these days so I'm always near a charging socket, so though 3 days of battery is unacceptable, my Glo is still usable.
That's not so bad, then. Between reader, phone and camera I usually have something on charge anyway! Just keep topping it up and enjoy the light, the un-blockiness, and the speed!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #250
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
So the Glo really is that much better than the Touch - high recommendation from you!
Most certainly!

The only done side is that the light is much too bright/harsh. The lowest setting is even too bright really for reading in darkness, but you get used to it. But there seem to be a number of Glo's out there that have received a softer lighting that has a yellow-ish glow to it, as apposed to the blue-ish glow of the harsher lighting.

Quote:
I hope they get this problem sorted so I can start think about getting one (I know, percentage-wise, based on what we have seen on here, I'm more likely to get a good one, but how many people who don't come here have the same short battery and think it's normal to have three days between charges?)
Exactly! I wonder indeed how many new users bought a Glo and are blown away by the three days of battery as they're comparing it with a mobile phone that lasts one or two days. Gah.

Quote:
Just keep topping it up and enjoy the light, the un-blockiness, and the speed!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #251
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm 21 full days in since charging, 40.5 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and at 39%...
<sigh> The stuff of dreams.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #252
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Horribleness:

Code:
Just for fun, here's my latest mini stats:

• March 15 - 11:00 PM 100% After charging for 6 hours
• March 16 10:00 AM 79%
• March 17 9:20 AM 49%

Again, no reading. Just sitting on my computer desk.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #253
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Would be a minor inconvenience if the damn batteries were replaceable!!
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #254
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
That's very true. If it is like various Apple gadgets, even if you open the case (probably voiding the warranty) the battery will be glued in with something that needs some sort of solvent to get it out - sensible in one way, as you don't want Li batteries shorting out, but, lets face it, sooooo unnecessary when other devices have easily changeable batteries.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #255
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Just for fun, here's my latest mini stats:

• March 15 - 11:00 PM 100% After charging for 6 hours
• March 16 10:00 AM 79%
• March 17 9:20 AM 49%

Again, no reading. Just sitting on my computer desk.
You have a mini as well... and even THAT is giving you crap!? Oh my. I'm glad I'm not you!

However, that does sort of strengthen the user settings being the culprit... but HOW I would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
Perhaps, but that wouldn't help one tiny bit if it's not the battery's fault that the draining is occurring so quickly. And it is looking like it isn't the battery's fault at all.

Plus, I've opened up my Glo and the battery actually does seem rather replaceable. I don't know if you can buy a battery anywhere that'll fit in the space reserved for it and with the correct connector, but, in any case, if I'd wanted to, I could have taken the battery out.