Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #121
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polvo View Post
You can rotate PDFs: Aa > Direction. As for other formats its would seem that you can't.
yes, and for DJVU.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #122
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
wtf no english-dutch stardict
I don't know, but there seem to be one here
http://reciteword.cosoft.org.cn/star...c/freedict.de/

ohh - UPDATE - he found and have changed it to a happy face !

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-08-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: update
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #123
FethryDuck
Addict

From Duokan FAQ

Screenshot?
shift + Alt + G to save.
Where is this saved to?
TBA

on my "special edition" - DK_System/System/PrintScreen

Screen wipe/refresh?
When the screen is blurred or ghosted you can force a full refresh pressing the Enter key

A partial refresh takes less time, don't cause as much flicker, but it may not be as clear.
on my "special edition", page 1 in system settings, it does a full refresh each
<selectable number> of pages.
- when you press enter
- ? there was an odd menu setting - which was the whole reason for writing this.. arrggg!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #124
FethryDuck
Addict

while checking something, I made these notes.

Marking text and extracting.

On my *special-edition*, I may use the 5-way button and mark a section of text.
All these sections can be extracted or exported from the book by pressing <menu> and selecting <C> in the menu. (See screenshot) You find the extractions under /DK_Daochu/<year-month-day-??-book>/Xtra.txt and if you have written any notes, the file - Note.txt - as well.

( rip, correct for version, and what ever else - if you can use it somewhere, faq whatever )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101109001849.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	60895   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101109000507.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	60896  
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #125
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
while checking something, I made these notes.

Marking text and extracting.

On my *special-edition*, I may use the 5-way button and mark a section of text.
All these sections can be extracted or exported from the book by pressing <menu> and selecting <C> in the menu. (See screenshot) You find the extractions under /DK_Daochu/<year-month-day-??-book>/Xtra.txt and if you have written any notes, the file - Note.txt - as well.

( rip, correct for version, and what ever else - if you can use it somewhere, faq whatever )
I haven't installed Duokan yet (will try it with my K2). In your screen shot I notice that creating a bookmark requires alt+/ instead of alt+B. Why is one of the basic key combinations different? Are there more instances like this and do I have to option to change them. I'm hoping there are similarities than differences in operating the Kindle (except where Duokan exceeds the Kindle FW).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #126
FethryDuck
Addict

In previous post, there was some special function I tried to figure out. Not finnished with it, but I had a text file, empty except lines began with "-". Called it Notepad.txt - just something to enter notes in.
Extracted this later and had my written notes:
My-NotePad

[Note1]

meeting my shadow at noon

[Note2]

Tuesday - at 14:00

[Note3]

year 2010

However, what I tried to do is what you see appear in the screenshot.
( forgot to take screenshot, as I had a selectable list of symbols, according to my system-setting input selection - just used some older picture. )

oh, - the extra input bar is invoked by Aa key while you have the other note taking window open.

And perhaps some of you beat me in discovering what and how this work ? Night !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100110230054.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	60897  

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-08-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #127
FethryDuck
Addict

@miss daffy - quack quaaiii

Nope, I don't know - if you mean Amazon original - then this is an alternative, system. It is possible to alter some of this, and what you see here is not the "english-release" but my own I made prior to it. As I didn't really know what/how things worked, many menu entries was a bit of guesswork.
( Anyway - correct my stuff and use it if you find it useful )
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #128
FethryDuck
Addict

@miss daffy - quack smartass women

Turned off - bedtime, but then.... of course - on a Kindle 3, there are no "/" - this has to be changed. Bookmarks has higher priority then exports. Darn.. we need source !
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #129
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
@miss daffy - quack smartass women

Turned off - bedtime, but then.... of course - on a Kindle 3, there are no "/" - this has to be changed. Bookmarks has higher priority then exports. Darn.. we need source !
Thanks my fellow "bird of a feather"! Sorry about your broken wing.

I'll chill until I install Duokan as maybe things are more similar than I think.

Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #130
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
How can I take screenshots? I press Shift+Alt+G but it doesn't work. No files in the Printscreen folder.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #131
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
How can I take screenshots? I press Shift+Alt+G but it doesn't work. No files in the Printscreen folder.
I don't know, but ... you may not have the exact same placement of the folder. Look around. Think it got created first time you really have a valid print-screen. All key entries are controlled by a "state-machine" - if you press all keys at the same time, it often fails. Try pressing them in sequence: <alt> then <shift> then <G>
( try it a couple of times - you usually see a short darkening of the screen as when it does a full refresh )

Let's hope you get a result
Old 11-09-2010, 03:25 AM   #132
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
I believe it is a bug on DX(G).
Does not work with me either.

The screen just rotates in one direction for a couple of seconds and then rotates back.

BTW, using ALT + G, you can rotate your PDFs, Djvus anti-clockwise.
Using ALT+H rotates pages clockwise.

There's also another useful shortcut.
ALT + <Page forward> flips 5 pages.

Last edited by eLiNK; 11-09-2010 at 03:58 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #133
Kindles
Kindles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does duokan read the metadata of our books, or do we have to enter the author manually on the firmware?
Kindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #134
FethryDuck
Addict

Perhaps collecting some sort of 'Duokan:known bugs' ?

Anyway, some characters mess up some pages - and those would be nice to get recorded as well.
Apostrophes seem to take up a whole character width and does not look so good. Noticed in Epub and Mobi. Something had me think it could also relate a bit to the text-2-speech functions, i.e. perhaps there are a bit more involved then merely the looks of the character ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe
Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #135
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
Ok I've got this major question for all Duokan fans:

Uninstall procedure. Perhaps we all understand that deleting some files, is not sufficient for clean uninstall of duokan. Therefore could somebody knowledgeable comment on their view of this whole uninstall procedure: is this possible: make a backup of original kindle firmware, install duokan, test duokan, uninstall duokan, reupload original kindle files to get kindle to original manufacturer's state. Is this possible? What are some possible problems with this process (aside from possibility of bricking the device)? It would be nice to expect, that duokan developers will come with nicer uninstall procedure, but I guess it ain't going to happen.

so any comments or ideas in regards to this would be nice

p.s. i've got this snippet of install procedure for duokan from kaznelson@the-ebook.org, which shows duokan deleting some original files, and replacing with their own(naturally)

============================
mntroot rw
# їЅ±ґЅЕ±ѕ

rm -f /etc/rcS.d/S79switch
rm -f /etc/rc5.d/s96rundk
rm -f /etc/rc5.d/S96rundk
rm -f /etc/rc5.d/rundk.sh

cp /mnt/base-us/DK_System/bin/S79switch /etc/rcS.d/S79switch
cp /mnt/base-us/DK_System/bin/s96rundk /etc/rc5.d/s96rundk
cp /mnt/base-us/DK_System/bin/rundk.sh /etc/rc5.d/rundk.sh

chmod +x /etc/rcS.d/S79switch
chmod +x /etc/rc5.d/s96rundk
chmod +x /etc/rc5.d/rundk.sh

if [ -f /mnt/us/DK_System/system/word.tar ]
then
tar -xvf /mnt/us/DK_System/system/word.tar -C /mnt/us/DK_System/
update_percent_complete 70
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/word/bin/localedef /usr/bin/
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/word/gconv /usr/lib/ -r
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/word/UTF-8 /usr/lib/
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/word/i18n /usr/share/ -r
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/word/locale /usr/share/ -r
cd /usr/lib
localedef -f UTF-8 -i zh_CN zh_CN.UTF8
update_percent_complete 80
cp /mnt/us/DK_System/word/zh_CN.utf8 /usr/lib/locale/ -r
rm /usr/lib/gconv -rf
rm /usr/share/i18n -rf
rm /usr/share/locale -rf
rm /mnt/us/DK_System/word/ -rf
rm /mnt/us/DK_System/system/word.tar -rf
fi

# ЙѕіэЙэј¶ЅЕ±ѕ
rm /etc/rc5.d/S71updata*
mntroot ro
reboot

=======================

Last edited by mrzerga; 11-09-2010 at 04:21 AM.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote