Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #46
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
I might as well chime in since I'm now reading the Count of Monte Cristo. I'm less than halfway in, there was a bit of a slow plot after he got out of prison and started buying up stuff, but now in Chapter 40 that Dantes is back in the plot I am eager to see what his plans are next.

I saw a part of the movie that was made in 2003, starring Jim Cavizel as Dantes, and I had to turn it off after Fariah appeared because the film instantly went into the rubbish pile as far as an adaptation goes.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
I saw a part of the movie that was made in 2003, starring Jim Cavizel as Dantes, and I had to turn it off after Fariah appeared because the film instantly went into the rubbish pile as far as an adaptation goes.
That was an appalling film.

There was a superb French TV mini-series made some years ago, starring Gerard Depardieu, which is extremely faithful to the book, and which I strongly recommend. It's available on DVD, with English subtitles.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:56 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That was an appalling film.

There was a superb French TV mini-series made some years ago, starring Gerard Depardieu, which is extremely faithful to the book, and which I strongly recommend. It's available on DVD, with English subtitles.
I have it on VHS... And I agree it's much better than that film... I remember there was something I didn't like about it, but it's so long ago since I've seen it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #49
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
It just occurred to me that this Fariah character is a precursor to Sherlock Holmes, the scene where he deducts the situation which lead to Dantes arrest is almost the kind of exchange we'd see between Holmes and Watson.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #50
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Late to the party alert.

Someone mentioned that y'all had read this as an extra.

I remembered my mom recommending The Three Musketeers to me a while ago. I figured anything else by Dumas might also be good for the same reasons.

So I picked this up after reading half of The Trial and becoming bored with it.

Whoever mentioned it in the more recent Book Club books: THANK YOU. I'm only 20% into it, but this is one of the best books I've read in a long while.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Harry:

I'm curious to know which modern translation (for the Kindle, since we both have this), you would recommend?

The Robin Buss translation seems to be the complete version and has gotten some excellent reviews. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cr...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

I'll probably go ahead and buy this one. However, what's your thinking on this edition?

Thanks.

Don

ADDED: I went ahead and purchased this translation from Amazon.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-17-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's the difference between the various translations? I know the pbook version I have is missing one part (where he returns to Chateau d'If), but are there other differences?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-18-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #53
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What's the difference between the various translations? I know the pbook version I have is missing one part (where he returns to Chateau d'If), but are there other differences?
Harry's the expert on this one, Sweetpea.

I think I read this as a teenager, but I can't remember what version or even the events in the novel. I was heavily into Rafael Sabatini at the the time, so I gravitated a little toward Dumas.

I can say that this version is complete and, according to the comments on Amazon, is a very highly regarded translation. I'm looking forward to reading it and in rediscovering (for myself), Dumas.

Right now, I need to finish John Irving, then I may dip into the luxurious adventures of Dumas's writings.

Don

Sweetpea: I accidently went into "Edit" and not "Quote," on your post. I didn't change anything in your post at all.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-18-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The vast majority of English editions of "The Count of Monte Cristo" use the original 1846 translation, commissioned anonymously by the original British publisher, Chapman and Hall. This is "complete", but "censored" in parts, in that the French original has sexual content that would have been completely unacceptable to the Victorian British reader (eg, one of the characters is a lesbian).

For the next 150 years, pretty much every English-language edition used this translation, although the book is very commonly found in various "abridged" versions, too.

As Don mentions, in 1996 Penguin Classics commissioned a new translation by Robin Buss. This restores all the previously-censored content, but many people (including myself) don't like it, because it's written in modern, idiomatic English, which for me, "jars" with the 19th century setting of the novel.

Hope that helps explain it!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Sweetpea: I accidently went into "Edit" and not "Quote," on your post. I didn't change anything in your post at all.
Np, happened a lot to me when I was just made moderator on one of the forums I frequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The vast majority of English editions of "The Count of Monte Cristo" use the original 1846 translation, commissioned anonymously by the original British publisher, Chapman and Hall. This is "complete", but "censored" in parts, in that the French original has sexual content that would have been completely unacceptable to the Victorian British reader (eg, one of the characters is a lesbian).

For the next 150 years, pretty much every English-language edition used this translation, although the book is very commonly found in various "abridged" versions, too.

As Don mentions, in 1996 Penguin Classics commissioned a new translation by Robin Buss. This restores all the previously-censored content, but many people (including myself) don't like it, because it's written in modern, idiomatic English, which for me, "jars" with the 19th century setting of the novel.

Hope that helps explain it!
That clarifies it. I might have the Penguin Classics then. What version would you recommend to read?

Edit:

After searching on Amazon (always nice, that sneak-peak!) I found out I don't have the Penguin Classics, but the Oxford Classics. And I see what you mean by difference in English....

Last edited by Sweetpea; 11-18-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I like the 1846 translation, which is what we have here on MR. Unfortunately the version we have here has been "converted" to US English. I must "re-Anglicize" it when I have the time .
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #57
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Just realised I should have downloaded the ebook from MR but I got a copy at Feedbooks and it is formatted very nicely.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #58
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I got it from feedbooks too, because I'll try to read it in french, that way there is no hassle with the translation. Going well for now, not too hard
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #59
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I'm on chapter 40. I struggled a bit from about chapter 36 as the pace seemed to slow down and the plot deviated from the main course. But up until that point I've found it to be a very exciting read so I'm hoping it picks up again now. I'm looking forward to Dantes wreaking some revenge!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I'm on chapter 40. I struggled a bit from about chapter 36 as the pace seemed to slow down and the plot deviated from the main course. But up until that point I've found it to be a very exciting read so I'm hoping it picks up again now. I'm looking forward to Dantes wreaking some revenge!
Ohh, the game is afoot! (or was that another book?)