Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Amazon Kindle review

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7098&tag=nl.e589 is the link to a review of the Amazon Kindle.

There is also a series of pictures of the Kindle, and I must say that while the concept seems great, looking at it in the pictures and comparing it mentally to the Sony, I think I shall be staying with the Sony for the near future.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I see no reason for switching, my sony E-reader sure fits my needs.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings View Post
I see no reason for switching, my sony E-reader sure fits my needs.
There is no Sony E-Reader, only the Sony Reader. (the only reason I'm picking this nit is because of the E-Reader e-book format which isn't compatible with Sony Readers )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
you say tomatoes, I say tomato <G>
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings View Post
you say tomatoes, I say tomato <G>

I had the Sony Reader PRS-500, now I am getting the 505; still, I wouldn't putting my hands on the Kindle as well
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #6
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Same here (except I'll stick with the double 0)
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

I had the Sony Reader PRS-500, now I am getting the 505; still, I wouldn't putting my hands on the Kindle as well
Why would you want a device that you couldn't buy any books for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you want a device that you couldn't buy any books for?
For much the same reason a person would buy a PRS-500, then buy a 505 as soon as it's released: early-adopter gadget geek syndrome.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
The review seems to imply that you can browse anything on the web and not just Wiki and specific payed for blogs. I suspect that this is not the case but if it where I'd find myself needing this device for sure!

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Coincidence: the current issue of Newsweek (Nov 26) has a cover story on ebooks, and on page 64 is a review of the Kindle by Steven Levy. He does have a Sony Reader, and from what he writes about his test of the Kindle, it sounds as though it will beat the Reader.

I'll probably wait for the first updated version, then am sure will spring for it. I particularly like the wireless download feature and the ease of buying from Amazon.com (and their prices). I used to get good deals on books from them for my old Rocket eBook.

I may feel differently after trying one out, but as of now, I think I'll probably get one eventually.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
For whatever reason, Amazon has made an amazing push to get the Kindle recognized -- all these reviews, and this morning on WBUR (Boston University public radio station) there was an entire hour dedicated to it primarily (and only obliquely discussing other readers). The most distubing thing was that none of the guests had actually used a reader for any great length of time, and so didn't speak very much to how similar the experience of using a reader to reading a book (at least it has been in my experience with the Sony Reader), and discussed the cool extras far more than the actual reading experience and the fact that such devices are the only way (outside a computer) to read the vast library of out of print books which make up Project Gutenberg.

And the only negative voice was a person who is averse to all electronic reading devices, rather than anybody who could knowingly address any actual shortcoming of the Kindle.

Amazon has far better publicity muscle than Sony, it seems!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
Amazon has far better publicity muscle than Sony, it seems!
I noticed this as well. I mean the Kindle is on the cover of Newsweek and was discussed on Fresh Air on NPR the other day. I have co-workers who ask me if I have heard of the new "ebook thingy."

Oh you mean the "ebook thingy" I talk to everyone about everyday?!?! hehe.

But yeah, I don't recall this same push for the Sony Reader. I remember my early experience with the Borders people not even understanding the term "ebook reader," much less knowing that they sold them...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I particularly like the wireless download feature
Hmmm. Sorry, Geoff, but personally I think the wireless feature is a terrible mistake. I don't know what on Earth Amazon were thinking to ignore international standards (ie GSM) and go with CDMA technology which effectively "locks" the Kindle to the North American market. It seems to be a very shortsighted attitude indeed to me.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. Sorry, Geoff, but personally I think the wireless feature is a terrible mistake. I don't know what on Earth Amazon were thinking to ignore international standards (ie GSM) and go with CDMA technology which effectively "locks" the Kindle to the North American market. It seems to be a very shortsighted attitude indeed to me.
Well, right, from a non-US point of view. As they are supposed to be an international company, I don't know why they did this, but hey, for me, it's terrific technology.

Maybe if you get a HUGE rooftop antenna, you can reach the US system?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But just think what's going to happen when the telecoms operators in the US decide to shut down the old CDMA networks and switch entirely to GSM - and that day will come. Remember the Palm VII? That was a US-only device which used some proprietory wireless network system to send e-mail. The network got shut down, and the device became a white elephant as result.