Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
7.34 line spacing???

From the changelog...

Conversion pipeline: Add an option to set the minimum line height of all elemnts as a percentage of the computed font size. By default, calibre now sets the line height to 120% of the computed font size.

Why? I don't want the line height set to 120% or for that matter any %. I don't want line-height CSS added. If this does add line-height, can this be turned off by default?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
I just went to preferences -> common options -> set minimum line height to 0. The little info bubble thingy said that would disable it.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why? I don't want the line height set to 120% or for that matter any %. I don't want line-height CSS added. If this does add line-height, can this be turned off by default?
The tooltip says to set to zero to disable.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a minimum that applies to the effective line height. You don't want an effective line height less than 120% or your text will look very cramped. It only get applied to elements that already have a line height specified.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana495 View Post
I just went to preferences -> common options -> set minimum line height to 0. The little info bubble thingy said that would disable it.
I do not use the GUI. So that won't work.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's a minimum that applies to the effective line height. You don't want an effective line height less than 120% or your text will look very cramped. It only get applied to elements that already have a line height specified.
Actually, in most cases, the default line height is perfectly fine with me. I mostly use Fontin as my body font and I like it with no set line-height. So yes, I do want a line-height less then 120%. If I am dealing with an ePub where the publisher has embedded the font Charis, I want a line-height of 110%. So again, 120% is too large for me.

Can this line-height diddling please be turned off by default until specifically called for?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
I do not use the GUI. So that won't work.
ebook-convert in.ext out.ext --line-height=0

You can also use --help to see all of the options. Every option in the GUI is available though the command line interface.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But why change something that is not actually broken and make us have to turn off something we don't need on in the first place?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why dont you actually try a conversion with the setting turned on and see what happens, instead of jumping the gun.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
...we don't need on in the first place?
Do not include me in your 'we'.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But why change something that is not actually broken and make us have to turn off something we don't need on in the first place?
Here is a new feature that the mass of common folk, without even knowing why, will appreciate being on at default. Unlike the masses you have the knowledge of what this feature truly does and complete control to turn the feature off via your preferred interface, the command line, yet you persist in complaining because your work flow requires a minor switch (--minimum-line-height).

Here I thought at 52 that I (according to scientists at the University of Glamorgan) was a grumpy old man. Thing is, after seeing folks of all types post on various boards, it occurs to me that I'm definitely not a grumpy old man. The Standford University study must be right, they conclude simply "Most of the grumpy old men out there are grumpy young men who grew old," that statement seems to line up with my anecdotal observations.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Here is a new feature that the mass of common folk, without even knowing why, will appreciate being on at default. Unlike the masses you have the knowledge of what this feature truly does and complete control to turn the feature off via your preferred interface, the command line, yet you persist in complaining because your work flow requires a minor switch (--minimum-line-height).

Here I thought at 52 that I (according to scientists at the University of Glamorgan) was a grumpy old man. Thing is, after seeing folks of all types post on various boards, it occurs to me that I'm definitely not a grumpy old man. The Standford University study must be right, they conclude simply "Most of the grumpy old men out there are grumpy young men who grew old," that statement seems to line up with my anecdotal observations.
I am older than you, and I do NOT use any Line Spacing (normally) in my CSS and all the reader programs I use do good
I do use LS when I do stuff with my first paragraph and the line looks wierd. But that is the exception.
Now I would really like to set indent as a percentage.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am older than you
Congratulations on your birth, 52 is the age cited in the study and thus relavant to me. So which study do you agree with?

Quote:
I do NOT use any Line Spacing (normally) in my CSS and all the reader programs I use do good
Kovid stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It only get applied to elements that already have a line height specified.
If your elements don't use line height then this setting won't affect you.

Quote:
I do use LS when I do stuff with my first paragraph and the line looks wierd. But that is the exception.
Change the setting to 0 and this setting won't affect you in any way shape or manner.

This setting is for folks who don't know what line height is and don't want to know. They just want their converted books to be readable without having any lines overlap. This default setting will prevent many bug tickets and questions on this board about why their ebook lines overlap.

Quote:
Now I would really like to set indent as a percentage.
If epub supports this you ought to be able to format your books in this manner. What is the advantage of using % for specifying indents?

I use calibre's indent feature myself. I set it to 1.1em. Doesn't using em give you a proportional indent as the font size scales larger?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If epub supports this you ought to be able to format your books in this manner. What is the advantage of using % for specifying indents?

I use calibre's indent feature myself. I set it to 1.1em. Doesn't using em give you a proportional indent as the font size scales larger?
EPub does support this. I edit the value in Sigil or Tweak-Epub.

Percent indent applies to the current, containing Block width, not the font
(percent, when applied to a Font-size, adjust the font relative to the called font. )
My perceived advantage is:
1) conserves space on a small screen.
2) increases the Visual aspects of the indent on wider screens.
My standard is 3-4% (about the same as 1.5-2em on a 5" screen), more on my CRT. It proportions itself to the screen width.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Percent indent applies to the current, containing Block width, not the font
(percent, when applied to a Font-size, adjust the font relative to the called font. )
My perceived advantage is:
1) conserves space on a small screen.
2) increases the Visual aspects of the indent on wider screens.
My standard is 3-4% (about the same as 1.5-2em on a 5" screen), more on my CRT. It proportions itself to the screen width.
Thanks for the info.