Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
When I worked for a newspaper and we published legal notices in Spanish - a language none of us spoke natively - we proofread them against the original copy end-to-front, word by word. You'd have to do the same there.
Yes, and I suspect that's why books here on MR are so reliable. They have people who, though perhaps not going "word by word", are working to upload texts that they love and therefore don't mind, or even enjoy, partly or fully re-reading.

Quote:
I occasionally proofread for Distributed Proofreaders, and I have to say that most of the newly scanned things have very, very few OCR/scanner errors.
Another suspicion...because most of the public domain books I have been looking for are well-known classics, perhaps they were some of the earlier-scanned rather than "newly scanned". I have found, on occasion, some public domain ebooks where it is fairly obvious that no subsequent checking was done.

Finnegans Wake would probably require the expertise from your first paragraph's experience.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #17
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I dislike many of the books from the Sony site have wide margins around the text. One had almost 0.5" on all sides and tiny, tiny text inside that margin. Even at the "L" setting it was still hard to read. (Not that there were that many words left on each line.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #18
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Just lately I have been driven mad by really stupid errors in books - not sure if it is lack of editing or OCR.
Last year I read a historical Romance in which there was a picture of lemonade at a picnic and someone used the ores to row a boat. This kind of stuff throws me out of reader's trance.
It seems to be happening more and more.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Another suspicion...because most of the public domain books I have been looking for are well-known classics, perhaps they were some of the earlier-scanned rather than "newly scanned".
Even worse than that - all the oldest PG books were typed in by hand, and very often the typist skipped a sentence or even more. The very worst example I've come across is the PG version of Dickens' "Oliver Twist" which, proofing it against a printed version (the only way to properly proof a book) turned out to have dozens of missing sentences, a couple of missing paragraphs, and one case which half a page had been missed out!

The version of "Oliver Twist" we now have on MobileRead is properly proofed and complete. The PG version is dreadful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #20
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The version of "Oliver Twist" we now have on MobileRead is properly proofed and complete. The PG version is dreadful.
Ah, see, there's the "love" I'm talking about, and that's why I come here first to get my PD books if they're available. C'mere and give me a hug, big guy!

Oh, okay, just a firm handshake then.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Just lately I have been driven mad by really stupid errors in books - not sure if it is lack of editing or OCR.
Last year I read a historical Romance in which there was a picture of lemonade at a picnic and someone used the ores to row a boat. This kind of stuff throws me out of reader's trance.
It seems to be happening more and more.
oh, i love a good picture of lemonade, it's so refreshing in hot weather, and you don't have to worry about spilling it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's wrong with using oars to row a boat, by the way? Oars have been around for thousands of years - certainly since the times of Phoenicians traders around 1000 BC or so.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
What's wrong with using oars to row a boat, by the way? Oars have been around for thousands of years - certainly since the times of Phoenicians traders around 1000 BC or so.
But "ores"?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #24
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, ores work better than oars, because most of them are a lot heavier than wood, so you get a stronger pull and you can go a lot faster.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I assumed it was just a typo; it would be rather pointless to try to correct everyone's spelling mistakes. However, if a book really did say that a boat was rowed with "ores" then that is, of course, a different matter entirely.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #26
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I assumed it was just a typo; it would be rather pointless to try to correct everyone's spelling mistakes. However, if a book really did say that a boat was rowed with "ores" then that is, of course, a different matter entirely.
Well, if the message was about errors in books, I assume it's actually an error in a book
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #27
zelda_pinwheel

i just assumed that if it were her own typo (and not in the book) she probably wouldn't have used it as an example here...

EDIT : right, what Jellby said (must learn to stop opening 6 topics in tabs at once and not refreshing the last page before replying...)
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But presumably the point about the "lemonade" is that it would be an anachronism at that point in history (I'm guessing?).
Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

oh ? nothing strikes you as odd about serving images of refreshments, rather than the refreshments themselves ?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Now I'm getting really confused . I thought that the previous poster was saying that the book contain a picture of lemonade being served at a picnic .