Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
KitsuneStylinson
KitsuneStylinson began at the beginning.

Location: Hufflepuff Dorms, Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Scotland
Device: Kindle 2
Creating Chapter Divisions with Plain Text Files

Okay first of all, the file I'm putting in my Kindle 2 is not an actual book. I read fanfiction online, and I want to put it in my Kindle (Only for personal use for those who are wondering and I do put full credits; I just want to be able to read it with or without internet connection and stuff). So a lot of it are really wrong, 80k upwards, and it would be loads easier to navigate with the chapter boundaries thing.

From what I've understood, the chapter mainly comes from coding already present in the book, and as I just copy paste chapters, this obviously doesn't exist.

Does anyone know what's the coding I need? I'm not very good at coding so an explanation is probably needed and the base code. I'm using the Calibre program, and I have Microsoft Word, and Adobe PDF Reader in my computer. I don't really need help in making the actual table of contents though, to be honest I don't even use those >_>

If you do, I'll give you digital brownies! :3
KitsuneStylinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you are starting from a text file, I would expect that having "Chapter" whatever on a separate line would be enough. That is with the default chapter detection on the "Structure Detection" page. If that isn't working, or you are using something different to mark your chapters, we need to see an example to decide what is needed in the conversion process.

But...

As it is fanfiction, have you looked at the FanFictionDownLoader plugin? That will download fanfiction from a lot of different sites and create the book for you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
KitsuneStylinson

Location: Hufflepuff Dorms, Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Scotland
The plugin works fine, but I can't skip between each chapter easily (although FFnet did just update recently), but a lot of those I want to put in my Kindle is from Tumblr, which is compatible with the plugin.

So I copy/paste all the chapters, succesfully added it to Calibre 0.8.57 and when I tried to convert it, I got an error message: Couldn't convert because no suitable source format was found.

I don't even know what that means! I'll just attach it,because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing really x_x

Oh just a warning for the book: It is not suitable for younger kids: some sex scenes, self harm and, because some people count this a warning so I'll put it on ,gay romance.

Fan fiction is still copyrighted work and the posting of copyrighted work without the author's permission is a violation of our Guidelines.

MobileRead does not condone any form of copyright infringement and a failure to observe that rule can cause your MR access to be terminated. Attached file removed - moderator

Last edited by dreams; 09-02-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneStylinson View Post
The plugin works fine, but I can't skip between each chapter easily (although FFnet did just update recently), but a lot of those I want to put in my Kindle is from Tumblr, which is compatible with the plugin.
OK. I don't use the plugin myself.
Quote:
So I copy/paste all the chapters, succesfully added it to Calibre 0.8.57 and when I tried to convert it, I got an error message: Couldn't convert because no suitable source format was found.

I don't even know what that means! I'll just attach it,because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing really x_x
The error message means that the format you are converting from, is not one that calibre can read. Save the file as HTML from Office and add that to calibre. That can be converted to the appropriate format for your Kindle.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
KitsuneStylinson

*blinks* Whoops.

Oh yay, thanks about the HTML thing!

Anyway, it did convert and it's in my Kindle right now, but the chapters still aren't showing up. I put 'Chapter x' in all separate lines but it didn't work.

Rawr.

Last edited by KitsuneStylinson; 09-02-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: adding info
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Your at the limit of my Kindle knowledge. But, have a look at the MOBI output options in the conversion dialog. I can see the first three are for the TOC.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneStylinson View Post
Anyway, it did convert and it's in my Kindle right now, but the chapters still aren't showing up. I put 'Chapter x' in all separate lines but it didn't work.
If you want calibre to detect chapters based on 'magic words' found in the text you will need to check the box Enable heuristic processing on the Convert - Heuristic Processing page. You should also check the box labelled Detect and markup unformatted chapter headings and subheadings. Don't forget to uncheck any of the other heuristic boxes which aren't relevant to your particular book.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote