Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
There is a drag and drop issue in iTunes for Mac, I wonder if it's the same for Windows?

I have this issue when dragging music into iTunes, but we have the standalone iBooks app on OS X, so can't help you there.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Drag and drop worked on my MacBook Air today from the Finder to iBooks. To copy to my iPad I end up e-mailing files from the MBA to myself (happen to use Gmail). I open the attached file in Gmail on the iPad and from that preview I "send to iBooks." Works fine even for epubs that don't preview fully in Gmail. Kludgy but it gets the job done.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #18
graydw57
graydw57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hate to jump into an old thread,but...

I cannot get iBooks to open epubs that are brought in via (say) Copy, or Box, or Onedrive. They all seem to be recognized as books, iBooks is a target in the "Open In..." dialog, but they don't work. iBooks starts to load them, then they just vanish, as if they'd never been.

They work in Kybooks, and in Stanza, but iBooks just doesn't like them.
graydw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I only tried one ePub file, but it worked fine for me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #20
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Works fine for me too, although I think iBooks may have to be already open in the background before you use the Open in option. But from what you're saying you're having a different problem. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling iBooks?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Works fine for me too, although I think iBooks may have to be already open in the background before you use the Open in option. But from what you're saying you're having a different problem. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling iBooks?
iBooks does not have to be 'open in the background'.

That said, I cannot account for it not working for @graydw57.

I would speculate that iBooks is more strict about ePub files that it will accept, that there is something in them that it does not like. I would verify that some epub files work (such as those found here) and then run epubcheck on the rejected ePub for some clues.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #22
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Both ways are very simple and quick, but using Wi-Fi connection in my case is a lot quicker for bigger files, because my current upload speed at home is poor 1/4 MB/s, whereas Wi-Fi connection is at 2-3 MB/s i.e. 10 times quicker than sending files to Dropbox.

I can use 3G for a lot quicker upload but I don't have a flat rate there, so again better to use home Wi-Fi.

I also have my ebooks and videos on Wi-Fi HDD (cheap 40$ Wi-Fi enclosure) so no need for PC or Wi-Fi router or internet/cloud or even much storage space on the tablets because I can wirelessly stream videos and big pdfs easily.

For those who would like a fast, quick to establish and easy USB PC-iPad transfer Goodreader app has got USB file transfer utility.

No need to start iTunes on PC or Goodreader on iPad, but just to start GoodreaderUSB utility on PC and connect iPad/iPhone and PC via USB.

http://www.goodreader.com/usb/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/good...777310222?mt=8
Those who still don't know, for the last year or two there is yet another convenient way to easily share files between (non-jailbreaked) iDevice and PC/Mac/iOS/Android devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz6rhEzXSyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxzaupw8Vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuycv4eMNE8

etc.

I've got myself this Chinese version, without any installed flash memory thereon, but with two slots for SD(HC) and micro SD(HC) cards and with connectors for both older and newer iPads (30 pin and lightning).

So, in our case one would need to upload epub onto iFlash memory stick (e.g. using PC USB connection), then connect iFlash stick to iDevice and after iOS app completely recognizes our iFlash memory stick (5 seconds or more) tapp on the epub title and choosing any of the offered apps e.g. iBooks to open the epub therein.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/card-...275182510.html

Transferring speed (at least using my old class 4 microSD cards) is not great (0.9-1.3 MB/s iPad/stick and up to 10/5 MB/s (reading/writing) PC/stick), but since we can watch videos and listen to the music directly without need for transferring the files to iPad app beforehand, it is not such a big problem.

Last edited by markom; 01-07-2016 at 09:47 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #23
Berzelius
Connoisseur
Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Berzelius can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Paperwhite 2 & Sony PRS-T1
As a new iPad user struggling to find out how to easily move books from my PC to iBooks on my iPad (I'm beginning to discover why so many people nowadays prefer Android to Apple!) I found that the Calibre Content Server is an easy and reliable way of doing this. Simply fire up the Calibre server, put its IP address into Safari and you have a Calibre screen with various search options.

It also works almost perfectly (unfortunately it drops the page numbers that I have added) in moving non-Amazon mobi books to the Kindle app on the iPad.
Berzelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #24
graydw57
graydw57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just to close the loop on this...
The problem is that iBooks is *very, very* picky about the epubs you use. Specifically, the content *must* be a very clean xhtml, I had issues with what I was getting for a doctype declaration. Also, the <html> tag must be right. I finally made it a standard to replace all the declarations with the ones from a new page in Sigil - and that works fine with iBooks.
graydw57 is offline   Reply With Quote