Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #12151
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

For obvious reasons all attempts are made to avoid having to work outside here in Northern Wisconsin during the winter. Today though I had to spend the morning outdoors on the job at an emergency situation. When I arrived at the location at 8:00 am the temperature was at -16 F, though thankfully the wind was relatively calm. After four hours outside I think I will need the rest of the day to warm up.

I suppose it may also be related to the local meteorology, but driving back from the work site I nearly harvested my second deer for the year with the bumper of my truck. With heavy snow and extremely low temperatures starting so early I fear that it is going to be a tough winter indeed for the deer population.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #12152
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Impending doom. The sky and radar are looking ominous. Looks like we'll be able to test out the new roof pretty soon.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #12153
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I hope the new roof doesn't have any problems cromag.

Hamlet53, I hope you have warmed up now.

Everyone else in the path of the crazy, cold, high wind and snow area, stay safe and warm.

We have a day with sun and clouds, although a bit chilly and we get to be just above freezing tonight.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #12154
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Pouring rain .... followed by an arctic air blast with 30 mph gusts ... it will be a race to see if the rain clears out before temps fall into the 20's F.

Tomorrow's high = 32 F

Then warming back into the 50's F for a couple of days, followed by a second ARCTIC air blast with highs predicted in the low 20's F ....

[The silver lining to freezing my tail feathers off is that this spell of sub-freezing weather might actually reduce the population of fleas, ticks, and other noxious crawlies that have survived past warmer 'winters' and whose populations have exploded.]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #12155
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Blue skies and sun in summer Melbourne. Took the dogs down to the dog beach and the water was so clear and calm, they had a ball.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #12156
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
More cold, -23C with a windchill of -33C. More frost quakes last night.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #12157
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
More cold, -23C with a windchill of -33C. More frost quakes last night.
Never even heard of a frost quake before this winter. One woke me up this morning at around 5:30 am. I thought one of the pictures had fallen off the wall.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #12158
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Very breezy with some showers....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #12159
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

COLD! Today's high temp < 32 F -- in the south!

Sunday night's temp to drop to 12 F! I know this is small beer compared with you folk in Canada and the NE USA - but for NC -- this is freaking cold!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #12160
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I am very thankful for just the near freezing drops here and hope everyone in the path of the next wave of super cold temps and winds stay warm and safe.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #12161
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
When I got up this morning (I'm a late riser) my son had already shoveled a path up the driveway to the street. I shoveled about half of the drive out wide enough for the cars when I called it a day. My daughter got hijacked by my wife for a day of watching BBC shows on the internet, but I've booked her up for tomorrow.

Probably got 10 inches total on the snow, but it was very "dry" and fluffy so by this evening it had collapsed to about 8. It was actually easier to shovel this evening because it didn't spill off the edge of the shovel. Saturday should be good shoveling weather as well, if there is such a thing, since the temperature will be (way) below freezing tonight and all of tomorrow. Right now it's 4°.

But we're in for a wild ride according to the forecast ... highs on Sunday near 40° (with "ice pellets"), highs on Monday expected to be near 50° (with rain) ... highs on Tuesday expected to be ... 9° ?!?! But at least it should be sunny!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #12162
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The big chill today and tomorrow. Last night the low was -34 F and the high today is to be -19 F. The warming trend starts tonight with predicted low of -28 F and high tomorrow of -7 F.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #12163
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Except for one day, it has been rainy and windy (sometimes more than windy) since about December 21st. Even if around here we don't have to worry, we've been under flooding alert for the whole area for days.
Starting tomorrow, no more string winds, almost no rain, that's good news. I might celebrate by commuting by bicycle tomorrow

Good luck to everyone affected by the cold wave in North America. Be careful.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #12164
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Well ... when I got up at 6 am it was 60 F and raining .... then it became overcast, windy, and colder -- in the 40's F by lunch, in the 30's F by the time I got home .... supposed to get down to 9 F tonight, with a high of 24 F tomorrow - with wind .... which is glacial for the south .....

So, checked all the foundation vents, cleaned out under the sinks so the cabinet doors can be left open tonight without endangering the cats, all faucets will be left dripping - much to Stella's delight .... going to be a long cold night ... hoping the pipes won't freeze ...
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #12165
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Well, maybe you should put on some long pants then. At least your head will be warm as you're still wearing your Christmas hat.

Trapped by the snowplough this morning, and had to shovel out before going to work. Minus 18C right now, with winds picking up making the wind chill freaky cold. Will be worse tomorrow...
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty