Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #76
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I've read ever since I was so little, but thinking back I'd say it was Bambi, by Felix Salten (it was years later that I saw Disney's version). The books that took the most hold of me were those of Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #77
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Funnily enough, in grade school I devoured literary fare (Little Women, Shakespeare, etc) and encyclopedias (favorite subject matter being dinosaurs, Greek and Roman mythology, and the solar system/stars/universe). If I was bored enough, I'd even read the dictionary. Nowadays, my reading material appears to be limited to trashy romance novels.
you sound like me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #78
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3gb (3g)
I have written bullshit in my last post here....

Mine was "Trainspotting" by Irvine Welsh
fonzie4msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #79
wayne2612
Enthusiast
wayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 6, iPad 3, MacBook Pro with Retina
i couldn't say for sure because i can't remember that far back, but two notable books from my childhood that i enjoyed were charlie and the chocolate factory and james and the giant peach.
i remember the teacher reading those books to the class and my parents buying them for me to read myself because i enjoyed them so much.
wayne2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #80
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I don't remember that far back, but coming out of that dim and distant mist, I do remember 'Pigling Bland' by Beatrix Potter, followed by her other books. I remember Pigling and what was her name, Trot-trot? running 'down to the county boundary' and I loved the music of the ow/ou diphthongs. I learnt to read from Beatrix Potter.

Later 'Enid Blyton's Nature Lover's Book' (apostrophe in Lover's where it is because it was my book). And a bit later again, Arthur Ransome of course. I do believe that Dick Callum was my role model, and responsible for my taking the science line at school. I still follow science developments.

Last edited by James_Wilde; 05-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #81
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne2612 View Post
i couldn't say for sure because i can't remember that far back, but two notable books from my childhood that i enjoyed were charlie and the chocolate factory and james and the giant peach.
i remember the teacher reading those books to the class and my parents buying them for me to read myself because i enjoyed them so much.
Reading this I am now very hungry!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #82
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Enders Game. I can remember it very distinctly that feeling of "holy *&*". The rest is history.

Still towards the top of my list because of that...although it's been toppled by Ready Player One
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #83
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I remember my first "real" book as a kid... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #84
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I think, My side of the Mountain was number one. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was number 2.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #85
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There are various of ways to answer this question.

The first books that I remember inspiring a love of reading were probably books by Enid Blyton - possibly Brer Rabbit was the first, not sure. (I know we had some Noddy books too, but I don't remember being impressed.)

The first books that I remember inspiring a love of stories were the Narnia books. I don't remember much from way back then, but I distinctly remember my father reading this series to us kids.

The first books that inspired a love of books ... well, who knows? I grew up surrounded by them. Being a younger sibling has its advantages, not least of which are all the books your elder siblings have already accumulated - some hand-me-downs can be very good.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #86
CGore
CGore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would say it was the Disney Books like Cinderella, Snow White and their pretty pictures!
CGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #87
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Anne of Green Gables all the way
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #88
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I read voraciously as a kid. My mother would have to tell me to "go outside and play." But, I never realized there is often more to a book than just the story line.

The first book to make me sit back and realize there is more to a book than just a good plot line was To Kill a Mockingbird.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #89
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Anne of Green Gables all the way
I bought the omnibus of Lucy Maud Montgomery's books from Delphi Classics. I haven't read any of them yet, but they are on my radar.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #90
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I too read voraciously as a kid and had to be chased outside or I'd not have left my room for looong periods of time. The first book or books I read I can't remember, but the first one I do remember is Uncle Tom's Cabin. I must have read that around age ten and absolutely loved it. From there on it was a strange mix of Nancy Drew, Alexandre Dumas, The Hardy Boys, Victor Hugo, Dickens and so on.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote