Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Can I Put My Sony eReader Books on a Kindle?

I have a Sony 505 with about 60 of my books on it but my mom has taken it over. If I don't win the one they're giving away here (), I'm thinking about buying myself a K2.

I'm wondering if there's any way to get my books from the Sony to a K2?

I know there's a way to strip DRM to put a book on my Sony, but is there a way to strip the DRM from the Sony books? Not that I condone such behavior!
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is currently no way to remove the DRM from a Sony LRX ebook. If you have Secure Adobe PDF or ePub ebooks, their DRM can be removed and Calibre can format shift the resulting DRM-free ebook to MOBI for the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
How I hate DRM. I'm in the same boat as you are. I bought 3 books when I got my Sony PRS-500. Now my wife took it over and i decided to get Kindle DX so I can read my technical PDFs on it. The way i see it is $19 down the drain that I paid for the books. I actually want to email Sony support and see if i can get a refund for them (long shot, but I'm pissed enough to do it).

Alex
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you have a 505 and the 505 handles ePub, if you have any ePub without DRm, you can use Calibre to convert to Mobipocket and read it on the K2. But if you have ePub with DRM, you can strip the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You could always read the books on the Sony. I'm not sure I see the big issue here.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
You could always read the books on the Sony. I'm not sure I see the big issue here.
She says her Mom has the 505. Maybe they don't live close enough that it's convenient to get to. Plus if Mom is reading a book and Disney_mommy wants to read another book on the 505, who gets priority? It would be easier to get another 505 but she seems to want to add a K2 to the mix (which will make it easy to share Kindle books with her Mom if she's does the DRM dance).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
How would she be able to share Kindle books with her mom if her mom has the 505? I thought KINDLE books were only for the KINDLE?
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
How would she be able to share Kindle books with her mom if her mom has the 505? I thought KINDLE books were only for the KINDLE?
When I said, "do the DRM dance", I meant strip the DRM and run them through a Calibre conversion so that the books can also be used on the Sony.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Yeah I would just get another 505 that way you could share books and not have worry about stripping, etc.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Yeah I would just get another 505 that way you could share books and not have worry about stripping, etc.
*I'm* the one who brought up sharing books as an aside. Disney_mommy just said she was thinking about buying a Kindle 2.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Mom and I do not have the same taste in books, so there would definitely be no sharing of books. And we can't share the 505 because what if we both want to read a book at the same time?

After about 6 months with the 505, I've decided I would like the Kindle. The new books are cheaper, and they have more of the kind of books I am interested in. Every time I find a book I like, I check to see if it's on the Kindle and of so, the price. 10 times out of 10, Amazon has it, and 9 times out of 10, it's cheaper. When I'm scouting new books on the regular Amazon website and I see one I like, I check to see if it's on Sony, and about 6 times out of 10 it is.

So, I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the Kindle, and I'm very pleased with it. So I get big daughter points! I will read the books I still have on the 505 when I can, and will consider the rest a loss. I knew about DRM before I chose the 505, so I took a chance.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Congratulations on your new Kindle purchase!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #13
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
*I'm* the one who brought up sharing books as an aside. Disney_mommy just said she was thinking about buying a Kindle 2.
Oh...sorry I was just saying in case they liked the same books getting another 505 might be easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy View Post
Mom and I do not have the same taste in books, so there would definitely be no sharing of books. And we can't share the 505 because what if we both want to read a book at the same time?

So, I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the Kindle, and I'm very pleased with it. So I get big daughter points! I will read the books I still have on the 505 when I can, and will consider the rest a loss. I knew about DRM before I chose the 505, so I took a chance.
Enjoy your Kindle