Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
EricB
EricB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony Reader Case with Light damages PRS-505!

I've had a PRS-505 and the Sony case w/light for a little over a month now. I've been leaving the reader in the case permanently. Yesterday I noticed a few smudges on my screen. I tried to clean them off but they wouldn't clean. Then, I noticed that there were also similar marks on the same place on the light screen. I don't really know how these got there, but they just seemed to pop up over the course of the day. The scratches on the light screen rested against the 505's screen and in turn scratched it.
Additionally, the place where the plastic light screen rests against the edge of the 505's screen was slightly damaged. Small gouges were worn into the metal. Needless to say, I won't be using the light case any more. I'm ordering a bookarmor case and a screen protector, but I guess it's too late for that. My one-month-old unit looks a couple of years old already.
I'd try to get a replacement screen, but I live in South Korea.
I'd recommend staying away from the Sony Light Case.
EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Oh no! That stinks I know a couple people have these, and I have seen any problems. Maybe your case was built incorrectly?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Hi
I have had my lighted cover with my 505 for well over a month now and have not had any issues with wear. I keep it in a lightwedge zip case when not in use and on the move. I keep it clean with eyeglass cleaner with no issues. I love both.
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
I've been leaving the reader in the case permanently. Yesterday I noticed a few smudges on my screen.... Then, I noticed that there were also similar marks on the same place on the light screen.... the place where the plastic light screen rests against the edge of the 505's screen was slightly damaged. Small gouges were worn into the metal.
The lightwedge is rubbing against the screen and will scratch the screen and case, especially if there is dust between them. I also keep the reader in the lightwedge cover. When the reader is not being used, I put it in a zippered carry case (a converted planner cover) to keep out the dust and to minimize any rubbing against the screen.

BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I just got a lighted case for Christmas. I will be keeping careful watch on my 505 for any possible damage. Thanks for the heads up.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
i got the reader and the wedge for Christmas.
the reader is good, but i don't like the wedge. The plastic is not clear enough and the readability with the wedge on - with or without light is very bad.
if i had tested it before - the wedge would be still in the store.

I will remove the wedge and only use it, when i know i have to read in the dark with no possibility for some light.

take care
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
i don't like the wedge. The plastic is not clear enough and the readability with the wedge on - with or without light is very bad.
Yes, the lightwedge adds a layer of fuzz, which is by design to disperse the light evenly across the page and soften glare. I find that increasing the font size helps compensate for the loss in clarity. Overall, the lightwedge cover is a nice integrated solution, and allegedly is clearer than the 700's screen.
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
I would say call Sony up and see if they'll do something about it. There was a post on the main board on how someone is getting a replacement and the customer service was really good. I'd give it a shot.

As far as the being in Korea thing - me too. My reader and my library back home's ebook offerings are keeping me sane. I'd say you have two options there. Work with someone you know in a country they actually sell it, and have them ship it to them and then to you. Or, tell them you're teaching in Korea on a one year stint and they may be amenable to the whole shipping here thing. (Which could be the real reason why you are here, but if not, I'd say a good 90% of the foriegn population is so it's a good lie regardless).

Sorry to hear about you reader though.

Last edited by MidknytOwl; 12-26-2008 at 08:02 AM.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Please let us know what happened. My Case with Light did the same thing. It is currently sitting on the shelf as I switched back to one of my homebrew cases and just use the clip-on light as I don't want any more damage done to my Reader at the hands of the light.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
You've made me curious. My hubby gave me the lightwedge cover for Christmas -- but he gave it to me early so I could use it on my November road trip. I put the reader into the lightwedge cover and have left it there. I haven't taken any particular care with it; even to the point of just tossing the unit into my backpack when I'm travelling.

Now I'm going to have to pay more attention to it. I'll go check it to make sure it's not damaged so far and then put together a plan to keep dust & grit off of the screen and the lightwedge.

Thanks for the warning.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

I called Sony this morning and got one of the most unhelpful customer service agents ever. When I explained that the lightwedge piece was damaging the screen he asked me if I had tried changing batteries. WTF?!?!? I had to explain it to him multiple times before he told me that I have to pack up my Reader and case with light and ship them to Sony for them to investigate it and decide if I was abusing them and then they would tell me how much I would have to pay to fix it.

I wound up hanging up on the person after telling him that I will take them to the local Sony Store and talk to a person who can look at it and understand what I am talking about. Sadly, I won't have a free day to do it until Monday after next.

So far Sony seems to be right up there with Sprint for great product, horrible customer service, at least for me.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
darktower
darktower began at the beginning.

Device: SONY 505
I just got the case and also,is wondering if it will damage the screen?is your one just faulty or is it with every case?
darktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster

What I think is happening is that any little bit of dust or grit has gotten between the two panes and just abraded both of them. If such damage was a possibility, they should have manufactured them with a zipper around the edges to close it off from such stuff. I will let everybody know what happens in a little over week when I make it to the Sony Store.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't know if this would be helpful - but when I bought my light wedge cover, the wedge was covered with a thin "envelope" of material that feels almost like a Styrofoam. I taped up the short edge of the "envelope" to make the sleeve more form-fitting, and I leave the wedge in the Styrofoam-like sleeve unless I'm actively using it.

Now, I switch back and forth between my regular cover (it's lighter and fits more easily in my purse) and the light-wedge cover (when I know I'll be reading in low-light conditions). But I haven't noticed any scratches on either the Sony Reader screen or the wedge yet.

I bought the wedge this summer, when we had those 3-, 4-, 5-day power outages in the midwest...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
to protect my reader, i have ordered a set of screen protectors for my 505, so at least the screen is protected.

that idea with the zippered cover is top!

lets have a look at staples.

take care
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote