Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
A possible solution to your books that failed the check is to convert them to mobi and then convert them back to epub. This will take a few hours, probably 8-12 for 5000 books, but can be done while you are sleeping

Mobi is a simpler format than epub, but retains most of the formatting except for embedded fonts. I had big problems with the Kobo not displaying converted .lit and .lrf books properly. Very ugly. Converting them to mobi and converting the resulting mobi to epub did the trick.

I don't see this as helping the slowness problem.

I just uploaded to my T1 SD card:
1 book 5 seconds
60 books 58 seconds
552 books 1 minute and 58 seconds
(3 minutes extra to send metadata as I already have more than 8000 books on 8G SD card)
I think you must have a very bad SD card or a poorly formatted one.

Helen
It would save significant time going ePub > ePub instead of ePub > Mobi > ePub. I don't think doing it the Mibi way would make any noticeable difference. Calibre can either handle the broken ePub and create working ePub or not. Going to Mobi is just going to slow things down considerably.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Or a faulty USB port / drivers / cable.
Could be, but the OP has this thread saying that she has the same problems with the same card in both Kobo Aura and Sony, so I lean toward the card
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216885

Still it could be the port or both cables or both readers or Gremlins
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would save significant time going ePub > ePub instead of ePub > Mobi > ePub. I don't think doing it the Mibi way would make any noticeable difference. Calibre can either handle the broken ePub and create working ePub or not. Going to Mobi is just going to slow things down considerably.
In the case of the lit and lrf files wide line spaces were caused by non standard font sizes which going epub to epub did not change. I used tweak epub and changed some of them but had quite a few older books. Then I though mobi just does small medium and large fonts for the most part and tried that and it worked. Kovid Goyal actually has recommended this to others with the same problem, although at the time he recommended that I change the font size to 1 em in the CSS box. Which was okay but all the font sizes were the same. Better than the quadruple line spacing. The epub>mobi>epub keeps the font sizes proportional. And yes I did try the other font size options in convert.

The thing with these books is that they all work fine on Sony and calibre viewer and other readers AFAIK, just Kobo has the problem. Same problem Kobo has with some converted B&N books I am told.

Typical stylesheet
Converting to mobi changes 0.77419em; to small and converting back changes it to 0.75em which works ok. Maybe I could have used another method but I had several thousand old PD boos and just wanted to get it done .
Spoiler:
.bio {
border-bottom: 0;
border-top: 0;
display: block;
font-size: 0.58065em;
margin-bottom: 0.3em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0.3em;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: center
}
.bkt {
font-size: 0.77419em;
line-height: 1.2;
margin-left: 1.8em;
margin-right: 1.8em;
text-indent: 0
}
.calibre {
font-size: 1.29167em;
line-height: 1.1;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 4pt;
margin-right: 4pt;
margin-top: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
text-align: left
}
.calibre1 {
height: auto;
width: auto
}
.calibre2 {
font-weight: bolder;
line-height: 1.2
}
.calibre3 {
display: block
}
.calibre4 {
font-style: italic
}
.calibre5 {
color: blue;
cursor: pointer;
text-decoration: underline
}
.calibre6 {
font-weight: bolder
}
.ct {
font-size: 1em;
font-weight: bold;
}
.ic {
display: inline;
font-size: 1.29167em;
font-weight: bold;
line-height: 1.1
}
.ser {
}
.tit {
font-size: 1em;
}
.tit1 {
}
.tx {
text-indent: 0
}
.txr {
text-align: right
}

PS not saying this will do anything for the SOny slowness, as the Sony has no problems with these files. But it does clean them up a bit.

And as I said going epub to epub does nothing in these cases and is a considerable waste of time

Basically I got my message in the wrong thread as I meant to respond to Bittybyes other thread. Sorry about that

Last edited by speakingtohe; 07-02-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Mobi made by Calibre will still have paragraph spaces if the source ePub has them. Then going back to ePub they will still be there. So going ePub > ePub just cuts out the middle-man. Plus, if the paragraph spaces are in the source ePub, they will be in the destination ePub. But if not, the destination ePub won't have them.

Yes, LRF > ePub does have paragraph spaces. LIT depends on the source.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #35
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Mobi made by Calibre will still have paragraph spaces if the source ePub has them. Then going back to ePub they will still be there. So going ePub > ePub just cuts out the middle-man. Plus, if the paragraph spaces are in the source ePub, they will be in the destination ePub. But if not, the destination ePub won't have them.

Yes, LRF > ePub does have paragraph spaces. LIT depends on the source.
The paragraph spaces were/are not in the CSS or the epub. The books were just fine on all devices and readers that displayed epub. The Kobo renderer displayed fonts that were non standard as in my example as a line of text and a quadruple line space. changing 0.77419em to 0.75 em either by tweak epub or an epub>mobi>epub conversion fixed this while an epub to epub conversion did not. Although you do not have a Kobo you could still prove this by putting this stylesheet in place of an existing stylesheet and try both methods, yours and mine.

I could have tweaked 2000 books but it was easier and just as effective to do a couple of mass converts.

I did try your method first as it seemed the most obvious and as I said it did not do anything.

Helen

Tweak
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I finally, finally figured out how to get books on my Sony without it taking FOREVER or just drag and dropping, which made the covers take forever in loading.

All I had to do was go to Configure Device and delete the "tag" text. Now it takes seconds to add one book, and a few minutes to add a hundred. I have all 5078 books on my Sony and nary a problem. I think I was having a problem because despite the fact that I delete the tags before I load the books the Sony is still reading them.

So thankfully it wasn't the errors, which after I did some googling and chatting with others; the errors have nothing to do with how the ereader acts. It's only something that some sellers insist on.

Thanks so, so much to everyone who tried to help me. If anyone has this problem remove the tags from the little text box and you should be golden.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote