Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hanwang N510 - the world's first 5-inch E Ink reader

China-based Hanwang has developed a new E Ink-based e-book reader, the N510. Unlike most other e-book devices which are based on an 6-inch screen, this one goes with 5-inch instead. Specs from the Chinese product website:
  • Dimensions: 152mm x 108mm x 11mm
  • Weight: 165g (including battery)
  • Screen Technology: E Ink
  • Display: 5" 800x600 pixels, 4 gray levels
  • Memory: 1GB SD Card (max. supported 2GB)
  • Supported Formats: TXT, HTML, PNG, JPG, PDF, XEB, CEB, MP3, MTXT
  • Battery: Li-ion 1500mAh, 3.7V
  • Battery Life: one charge lasts for > 15 days in standby, more than 7,000 pages
  • Interfaces: SD, mini-USB 1.1, headphone

Compare the N510 to other e-book readers, and you'll quickly notice how lightweight and portable it is. If you think the iRex Digital Reader is a marvelous device, but too big for your daily commutes, you may consider this one instead (assuming you are from China or that it will eventually make it overseas).

According to this store, the N510 is priced at around $200 ¥2,288.00 (~$330).

Thanks to James for the tip!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Hmmm, I really don't see the point for this device, the 6 inch ones are just about the perfect size for luggin' around. Why would I need a smaller one?

Apart from the price maybe. But I still fail to see the reason for going into market with a 5 inch screen based reader.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
I would want a 5 inch reader, easy to put in my pocket
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
well, the Irex is big and has touch screen and also connectivity... it's quite the opposite of this new one for me no ?
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I have a Sony and a Kindle and I'll probably get one of these for the size, and its relatively low price.

Here's the translation in English:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
I think a lot of people who are looking to upgrade from a PDA would find the smaller size of this appealing - according to the specs it's not much bigger than a small stack of postcards so is significantly smaller than the 6" readers out there, making it much more pocketable; I'm sure the low price won't hurt either

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
Astak's late

So Astak waited too much - this is the same (almost the same) device they have and it has lower price. Only question is when it'll be out.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Compared to the Cybook it is not that much smaller

152 x 108 x 11 at 164g (N510)
188 x 118 x 8.5 at 174g (Cybook)
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
This looks a lot like the Jetbook sold by Ectaco. The difference is the placement of the number keys. The one I have places the keys on the right. On the left side I have the slide bar to advance pages. The draw back is that the Jetbook does not except html. Hopefully it will be added. Personally I like the 5" screen. I believe it is the optimum size for travel. It fits in my purse nicely and has fast become the device I always pick to take with me.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Except the Jetbook is $350 and this is $200.

As soon as it comes out I'm buying it.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:23 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
This looks a lot like the Jetbook sold by Ectaco. The difference is the placement of the number keys.
The key difference is the fact that the JetBook has an LCD screen, and this is eInk.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Except the Jetbook is $350 and this is $200.

As soon as it comes out I'm buying it.
Have you looked at the list of supported formats? There's nothing terribly useful there in the way of eBook formats, it seems to me.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Formats mean nothing to me, as pretty much anything can be formatted to something else and at the most I'd be converting 4 books a month
Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But what format in that list would you convert to that supports pictures, hyperlinks, etc?