Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Dead PRS-700

I've contacted Sony just now to set up the return of my 700. Last Tuesday and now this afternoon I attempted to turn on my reader & discovered the battery plum dead! On one hand it's fortunate that I've only had it just under two months & it's under warranty; on the other hand it's going to be hard having to go back to regular books till my reader is returned.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I thought sony had loaner units now that they send you first?
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Well, when my 505 went down Sony sent me a refurbished unit right away, and that I had to return my original reader within 15 days or they'd charge my credit card the amount for a new unit. They had my CC information as they'd charged me $29 for the refurbished one.

This time, the support site didn't make any mention of that. The difference being, as far as I could tell anyway, is that the 700 is still under warranty - only 7 weeks old (there was no charge), and the 505 was about 8 months old.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I'm waiting for a 700 ,to then send out my 700.It was the first thing the rep mentioned once we determined my unit needed service.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
May not be dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
I've contacted Sony just now to set up the return of my 700. Last Tuesday and now this afternoon I attempted to turn on my reader & discovered the battery plum dead! On one hand it's fortunate that I've only had it just under two months & it's under warranty; on the other hand it's going to be hard having to go back to regular books till my reader is returned.
Been pretty busy these past months... and I left my P7 un-used for a small
period of time. And like yourself, the unit was 'plum dead' ie. it would not take
or hold charge. - At least not right away. Seems that the charging circuit needs
time to accumulate enough to fire up the system and begin trickle charging.

In other words, charging state does not start right away if the unit is left uncharged for
a period of time. If you were quick to judge, sooner or later you will encounter
the same issue with the new / refurb unit too.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Treven
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
Been pretty busy these past months... and I left my P7 un-used for a small
period of time. And like yourself, the unit was 'plum dead' ie. it would not take
or hold charge. - At least not right away. Seems that the charging circuit needs
time to accumulate enough to fire up the system and begin trickle charging.

In other words, charging state does not start right away if the unit is left uncharged for
a period of time. If you were quick to judge, sooner or later you will encounter
the same issue with the new / refurb unit too.
Unfortunately mine went from a full charge to plum dead in a matter of overnight. It's as if I left the lights in the unit on all day and drained the battery. I haven't even used the lights beyond checking out all "the bells & whistles" when I first got it.

Yesterday morning I had the unit on at work, then I turned it off. When I pulled it out at 3:00, I had one bar of battery juice remaining; it had been off all day. I turned it back off & when I got home at 4:00 I attempted to turn it back on, but there was no power left at all. I plugged it into my computer at home and left it plugged in for three hours to recharge. I just checked it and so far the battery shows a full charge, but I have no idea how long that will last..
Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You weren't using the music player on it were you? Sometimes that can be easy to leave running in the background without realizing it and that'll drain the battery very quickly.

Also make sure the computer you've plugged it into dorsn't go to sleep while the reader is charging. If it does, the reader will stop charging and could even begin discharging.

Hope you're new unit works better for you than your last one!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
You weren't using the music player on it were you? Sometimes that can be easy to leave running in the background without realizing it and that'll drain the battery very quickly.

Also make sure the computer you've plugged it into dorsn't go to sleep while the reader is charging. If it does, the reader will stop charging and could even begin discharging.

dordale
I second this. I would wait a week or two to see if there are any issues before you send it back. If it still works, then something goofy like the above happened and I wouldn't worry about it too much.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Treven
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post

dordale
No, there are no tunes on my unit.
Yes, I discovered the computer going to sleep one time with my previous reader, the 505, plugged into it; yep, the battery was drained. With the 707, I either plug it into my computer at work, which will be on all day long, or at my laptop at home and I know I'll be on it for several hours throughout the evening.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
Treven
Addict

Well, UPS picked up my unit this a.m. (Sony paid for the shipping) so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get a new or refurbished one back & if they make any comments.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
I got a wall charger for mine. That way I know it gets a full charge, and I can read while it's charging. Just a thought.
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Treven
Addict

As a follow up to sending my 700 to the Sony Exchange outfit in Lorado TX a week ago yesterday.
Well it seems that the package has disappeared! According to a person at Sony in Lorado, they never received it. According to the guy who owns/manages the UPS store where I took it, says it was shipped; but according to UPS, it was never entered into their system.
So, guess Monday I'll go back to the UPS place, and discuss what UPS says about no package, with the owner & see what he says now.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Treven
Addict

Well HOORAY, I got an e-mail from the Sony site in TX, that they received my reader on Saturday. Although the shipping label said "2-day air", I think it really meant 7 day air, by way of Shanghi and then Moscow.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whew, I'm glad your packaged was not lost as that probably would've lead to more headaches. Hope everything gets fixed!
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
Treven
Addict

Talking

I just got my 700 reader; it's a refurbished one, which I don't have a problem with refurbished electronics. So now it's plugged into my office computer, charging. They sent the unit with a new charging (USB) cable and software. So now I have three cables, and two software CDs.