Notices

Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 AM   #1
indieauthor83
Enthusiast
indieauthor83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
How to turn hyphens on? (isn't working)

Hi everyone,

I have been trying without any luck to figure out how to turn hyphens on. I've set the css stylesheet to p {hyphens: auto;}, and the body {hyphens: auto;} but I'm getting nothing!

I've tried both the AZW3, and mobi version, to no avail.

I have a Kindle Fire HD 7, that does support hyphens, because ironically the headers are hyphenated (against my instructions not to).

I've had some excellent advice from a professional, but don't want to become a pain, so I thought I'd see if anyone here can help.

Someone mentioned a plugin 'Hyphenate This' for Calibre, but I can't seem to get hold of it. Only a file that can be downloaded, that doesn't seem to work.

I don't mind hyphens myself, I prefer them. There are frequent interruptions to my text flow, because of white-spacing. Although I managed to improve this significantly by cleaning my code up (it was a real mess), there are still interruptions, and if there's any way I can improve this with hyphens, I'd like to do it.

I thought I'd ask you guys first, but if not I will send my book to a professional, see what she thinks, if she can improve it. If not I guess I'm stuck with it

All replies are appreciated

indieauthor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I saw some wild hyphenation in a book I recently bought from Amazon--things like this:

sweeth-
eart

and another poster in MobileRead forums has had an awful time curing these in his book, so my advice would be to stay away from auto-hyphenation if you possibly can.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
indieauthor83
Enthusiast
indieauthor83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
I didn't think about it that way. It's catch 24 isn't it!
Thanks for taking the input.
Zoe
indieauthor83 is offline   Reply With Quote