Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #211
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Another irritating thing about the site now - this is something that bugs me about a lot of web sites, not just Overdrive - the sign-in page defaults to having the "remember me on this computer" box checked. It should default to unchecked.

If the box is unchecked, and someone wants to be remembered on this computer, they can check it once and never have to do it again.

But if the box defaults to checked, and I don't want to be remembered on this computer, I have to check the box every single time I log in.

I often go to the library site on break time at work, to see if anything on my wish list has become available, and I don't want it remembered on my work computer.
I log off manually anyway if I don't want that. That will unremember you.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #212
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I can say after using the new site for awhile now. I think my biggest complaint is being redirected to your bookshelf every time you borrow a hold. I wish they would fix this.

The new audiobook sort by date added still is broke on READS.

I think I've gotten use to everything else. I no longer feel the need for a cart system. I find I can browser faster now by looking at covers so much I find the old system at FLoP to be a pain to browse through. I don't see them switching though anytime soon.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #213
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
For me, the biggest issue is not being able to see more information about the books while browsing. Having to click on each thumbnail, just to see the description, to find out if I've read the book before, takes forever.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #214
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
For me, the biggest issue is not being able to see more information about the books while browsing. Having to click on each thumbnail, just to see the description, to find out if I've read the book before, takes forever.
+1

Although a cover can give you a hint with certain genres, some book covers have so little to do with the topic in the book, it's ridiculous.

I have used the trick in my wish list of switching to the mobile site to get the books descriptions back, but I haven't done it (yet) from the search option to see if the description is still there, too.

And the mobile site (as mentioned above before) still gives you the option of a cart, if you prefer one.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #215
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
+1

Although a cover can give you a hint with certain genres, some book covers have so little to do with the topic in the book, it's ridiculous.

I have used the trick in my wish list of switching to the mobile site to get the books descriptions back, but I haven't done it (yet) from the search option to see if the description is still there, too.

And the mobile site (as mentioned above before) still gives you the option of a cart, if you prefer one.
I also used the mobile site sometimes. I hope they aren't going to change it.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #216
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Toronto Public Library appears to have updated to 25 books out; not sure thought of any of the other limits (and I only saw the 25 when I was checking a book out; no other announcement I am aware of).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #217
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Same here, exactly.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #218
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Book covers aren't much help to me at all. I would be thrilled, however, absolutely thrilled to have the full title and full name of author 'at a glance' as in the old design.

As it is, a lot of 'mousing over' is required to obtain the most important elements in judging a book.

A complete title and the author's name. It just doesn't seem like it's a lot to ask from a library!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #219
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
I can't understand why ANY ebook storefront designer would choose a design that forces them to truncate the author's name, book title, or series name in their listings (barring extremely long ones, of course - subtitles or explanatory descriptions can generally be omitted if they go on too long).

Sure, a tight grid looks somewhat pretty, but even on the mobile version of sites (and especially not within apps - looking at YOU, Kobo!), it's not really acceptable to use only 15-20 characters per line in this day and age.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #220
4691mls
Wizard

If they are still interested in making changes, one addition that I would like is if the system could flag books I have previously checked out.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #221
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Boo, my library has a 'Coming Soon' banner.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #222
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Oh shoot. Mine does too!!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #223
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
If they are still interested in making changes, one addition that I would like is if the system could flag books I have previously checked out.
Librarians mostly oppose keeping such records due to privacy concerns. If the records existed, police could get a friendly-to-law-enforcement judge to issue a subpoena. Whether you agree with this privacy concern or not, I think Overdrive is going to be sensitive to it because librarians are the ones who purchase their service.

I suppose they could make the feature you suggest optional. Since I have multiple cards, I would want the feature to allow linking my reading history for all them.

I did start one book last year, realized after a chapter or so that I had already read it, and confirmed it by checking a list I have been keeping since 2005 of every book I read. It was a good book, so I just re-read it. Unfortunately, it's not available via Overdrive except as an audio book.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-02-2013 at 09:17 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #224
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Librarians mostly oppose keeping such records due to privacy concerns.
My library has no record once I return an item.

Sometimes it's frustrating.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #225
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
All of mine have the banner now, too

It's a done deal and NO library will escape it! Most days I think it might be better to just rip that bandage off and get it over with LOL.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote