Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
niclem
niclem began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buying for someone else

Hi All,

Looking to purchase an e read for my mom for christmas, looking for an easy to use device that I can put torrent downloaded books on it for her. From a quick bit of research I've read that files need to be in an epub file format and then they can be transferred easily to a kobo or kindle, and if the file isn't in that format you can use http://calibre-ebook.com/ to get it there. If someone can confirm it is in fact that easy and which e reader is best that would be great! I'm tech savvy but uneducated when it comes to the e readers!
Thanks in advance.
niclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by niclem View Post
Hi All,

Looking to purchase an e read for my mom for christmas, looking for an easy to use device that I can put torrent downloaded books on it for her. From a quick bit of research I've read that files need to be in an epub file format and then they can be transferred easily to a kobo or kindle, and if the file isn't in that format you can use http://calibre-ebook.com/ to get it there. If someone can confirm it is in fact that easy and which e reader is best that would be great! I'm tech savvy but uneducated when it comes to the e readers!
Thanks in advance.
Kindle will not read Epub. So if you're looking for an Epub reader, that's out unless you're planning to convert all the books to a Kindle format. Kindle is the only ereader that won't read Epub. So if you want the best file longevity with the least amount of work, a Kindle is definitely not it.

Kobo does read Epub. I have a Kobo Touch which I love. It's very easy to use, and I do use mine with Calibre. You just plug it in, the device pops up in Calibre, highlight the books you want to put on the Kobo, and hit "send to device."

You can also use the Kobo with the Kobo Desktop software it comes with, of course. And you do need to install this to get it set up and updated (free download). But after the set-up, I've stuck with Calibre. It does everything I want and I can use it with any device if I eventually get something else, so I just like it better.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
niclem

Thanks for your info.... I'm not necessarily stuck on getting something that will read an epub file. I'm more so interested in what reads the most common file format that I would find when downloading torrent ebooks and wanting to put them on the reader without having to convert to a different file format.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your info.... I'm not necessarily stuck on getting something that will read an epub file. I'm more so interested in what reads the most common file format that I would find when downloading torrent ebooks and wanting to put them on the reader without having to convert to a different file format.
Epub is the most common ebook format - everything but Kindle will read Epub. And you're more likely to find Epub's than Kindle formats while torrenting.

But you're also likely to run into a lot of PDF's while torrenting. Most ereaders will read PDF's, but depending on how they're laid out, they can be a pain in the butt to read on an ereader. You can try to convert them to Epub, and sometimes it'll work and sometimes it'll look even worse. It's hit or miss. PDF's are the worst format to try to convert.

So, if you're set on torrenting without having to mess with conversion too much, I'd advise you get an ereader that reads Epub (like the Kobo) and avoid PDF's.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
niclem

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for the quick response.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for the quick response.
Cool, glad I could help.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Niclem,

If your Mom wouldn't feel comfortable with a touch screen, I have the original non-touch Kobo which runs epub and is a very easy e-reader to use.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Am I the only one that's not offended by torrented books? It's people like the OP that help keep prices of ebooks up. I wouldn't give anyone that I knowingly will be torrenting books any advice.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As has been pointed out, torrented books don't necessarily mean pirated books, but just to make our policy clear:

Moderator Notice
MobileRead is not a good site to ask how, where, or to provide links to getting commercial ebooks free via torrent files. MobileRead is against ebook piracy, and "Where do I get pirated titles?" questions are good ways to lose access to MR.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-09-2011 at 05:18 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
"Here Mom, here's a bunch of illegally downloaded books!"
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

I'd just like to point out that although I don't know the OP's intent, there are plenty of legal torrent sites that do ebooks, and plenty of books that are legal to torrent regardless of source.

While intent to pirate isn't an unreasonable possibility, it is certainly presumptuous to assume that is the OP's intent and lambast them without asking what their intent actually is.

And this is coming from a group of people who mostly strip DRM so they can put ebooks on different devices or different formats or give it to their partners/family/friends... thus reducing sales and "keeping the price of ebooks high." This is the same group of people who mostly think it's ok to DRM-strip and keep a library book if you bought it previously.

Please. Your nakedness is showing.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-07-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
I'd just like to point out that although I don't know the OP's intent, there are plenty of legal torrent sites that do ebooks, and plenty of books that are legal to torrent regardless of source.

While intent to pirate isn't an unreasonable possibility, it is certainly presumptuous to assume that is the OP's intent and lambast them without asking what their intent actually is.

And this is coming from a group of people who mostly strip DRM so they can put ebooks on different devices or different formats... thus reducing sales and "keeping the price of ebooks high." This is the same group of people who mostly think it's ok to DRM-strip and keep a library book if you bought it previously.

Please. Your nakedness is showing.
I don't strip DRM or abtain books illegally in any way. Not only is it morally wrong but you are contributing to high prices of books. I'm sure there are a ton of people here that do it but I'm not one of them and find it wrong that people think it's OK to take other people's work without paying for it.

In case people have not notices there are few authors making a good living writing and fewer publishers doing well publishing books. If you want to force higher prices and contribute to the further down turn of the publishing business keep pirating books.

Downloading legal torrents? Please. That's like saying, "I'm buying this bong to smoke tobacco".

Last edited by mcrow24; 11-07-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow24 View Post
I don't strip DRM or abtain books illegally in any way. Not only is it morally wrong but you are contributing to high prices of books. I'm sure there are a ton of people here that do it but I'm not one of them and find it wrong that people think it's OK to take other people's work without paying for it.

In case people have not notices there are few authors making a good living writing and fewer publishers doing well publishing books. If you want to force higher prices and contribute to the further down turn of the publishing business keep pirating books.
Well, in regards to the former, you're seemingly a minority here. Though I don't see how stripping DRM on a purchased good costs sales really. Still, that's the claim made by some.

I only buy books that are not DRM'ed. If I want to a read a book that is, I get it from Project Gutenberg if it's public domain or lend it from my library. I support writers who care about their readers getting what they pay for.

I don't pirate, but I am costing the publishing industry money. I will continue to until they stop using restrictive DRM or until it's legal to break it. I vote with my dollar, and I have no problem with starving out the publishing industry until they realize that fair use still applies.

I'm just saying most people on this site really have no right to be wagging their fingers. And in addition, not all torrenting is illegal and it's presumptuous to assume.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-07-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
mcrow24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
Well, in regards to the former, you're seemingly a minority here. Though I don't see how stripping DRM on a purchased good costs sales really. Still, that's the claim made by some.

I only buy books that are not DRM'ed. If I want to a read a book that is, I get it from Project Gutenberg if it's public domain or lend it from my library. I support writers who care about their readers getting what they pay for.

I don't pirate, but I am costing the publishing industry money. I will continue to until they stop using restrictive DRM or until it's legal to break it. I vote with my dollar, and I have no problem with starving out the publishing industry until they realize that fair use still applies.

I'm just saying most people on this site really have no right to be wagging their fingers. And in addition, not all torrenting is illegal and it's presumptuous to assume.
I don't have as much a problem with DRM stripping in that you already paid for it and might just want to move it to another device or something like that. But the rules are the rules.

I don't like DRM because it makes moving books from one device to another a pain (like if you had a nook and buy a kindle or something like that). I understand why they do it though, but those that are likely to pirate a book are going to get around DRM anyway.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I was also a little disturbed by the mention of buying an ereader with the intent of putting a lot of torrented ebooks on it. It is possible that the torrented books are all public domain, which would be legal. However, I would not want to gift a person with a device full of illegally downloaded ebooks. Give the device with some free public domain works (there are huge numbers of those) and the new owner can elect how to proceed to get more on her own.

Also, outside of public domain there are lots of free contemporary ebooks available. A quick perusal of Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, Smashwords and other sites will point the way.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote