Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Something Weird Happened....

Has this happened to anyone?

I had my KT plugged in to the computer downloading a book from Kobo from the Kobo desktop and I unmounted the KT and then it was like it had cleared itself and asked me to do the set up and then all my books were gone. It was then frozen! '

I did a reset through the back and it turned on and all my books were back on it. I just turned it off and put it down gently...lol

Very strange!
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I managed to do that when I put a corrupted Epub on there once (I tried to do some homebrew editing on it after a conversation went awry... obviously I didn't help matters with my "editing!") that froze the KT when I tried to open it.

I "restarted" it with the power slider. I held it to turn it off. It still appeared frozen, but when I slide the power button again it booted up.

At that point it gave me the "You'll need to set up your Kobo to use blah blah blah" thing. I just ignored it, hit cancel, and all my stuff was still there, including my Reading Life stats. Everything's still fine a week later. So... I just pretended I didn't do that, and got rid of the bad book.

In my case I am quite sure this was a result of me putting a borked ebook on there. In your case, since you got it from Kobo... no idea?

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-24-2011 at 09:15 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I just had that happen today. I manually deleted some empty folders (why are they there after I delete a book?) using Windows Explorer, an when I ejected, the unit froze on the Home screen. After forcing a reboot, it came up and told me about all the nifty things in the new 1.9.12 update, and wanted me to go through the initial setup process. Strange.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I think I will stick to calibre from now on. :/ I do anyway but there was one book I wanted to buy from Kobo with that latest Kobo code.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can buy from Kobo and never use the desktop at all. Just download the ePUB from the website or download the kepub over WiFi. That being said, I have purchased and loaded over 125 books as kepubs from Kobo without having this problem.

Last edited by taming; 10-24-2011 at 06:31 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But... you still CAN buy the book.... The majority of books from Kobo are available in both formats.

After buying it, head to http://www.kobobooks.com/library/reading.html which is Kobo's I'M READING list.

Next to the book should be an icon "ADOBE DRM EPUB". Clicking that will download an ACSM file which, when you open it will invoke Adobe Digital Edition to download the DRM infected DRM file.

Now, back on the web site, select the book and then the DELETE button. This ONLY removes the book from your reading list, and ensures that if you DO launch the Kobo Desktop, that it will not download the kobo format, and also, if you use WiFi on the Touch that it will not download the Kobo format either.

You can still see all books you have purchased on the website by going to the PURCHASED tab http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html If you select a book here and the BOOKMARK button it will be re-added to the I'M READING tab.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote