Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
dragoon
dragoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
VOX can't find file type .acsm

With the original Kobo reader I could download free epub files from the Toronto Public Library (TPL) and import them into the ereader where I could read them until the TPL-imposed expiry date.

I'm now using the VOX and have tried to repeat this procedure but the VOX will not find the *.acsm files that are downbloaded from the TPL.

Today I purchased a microSD chip, mounted it onto my PC, copied over the last downloaded TPL book, correctly dismounted the micro chip from the PC and mounted it onto the VOX and still the ereader cannot see the *.acsm files.

Help!
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Kobo can't read .acsm files, nor DRM ePubs.

You should be able to download the Overdrive Android app from the Overdrive website, install it, authorize your ADE account, and it should be able to open the .acsm file. You won't be able to read the book in Kobo reader though.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Kobo can't read .acsm files, nor DRM ePubs.

You should be able to download the Overdrive Android app from the Overdrive website, install it, authorize your ADE account, and it should be able to open the .acsm file. You won't be able to read the book in Kobo reader though.
that's exactly what I did. Works great.
to read the book you open the overdrive app and find the book there. Not as easy to read (not as many font/size options), but I was glad it worked. (or else I was returning my VOX)
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Ptbotower
Ptbotower began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
which micro sd card did you use?
Ptbotower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
dragoon
dragoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
Which MicroSD?

I picked up a PNY 8 GB MicroSD from Best Buy in Toronto for CAD$19.99. It was described as "Ideal for Smartphones and E-readers" and came with a regular size adapter, which I use when plugging it into the PC. I picked a small 8 GB because I only want it to help me side-load and be quick to mount. I won't be storing photo and other large size files.
Hope this helps.
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
Ptbotower
Ptbotower began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thank you
Ptbotower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free epubs, importing files