I had this problem too.
fbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #32
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
NDRisk, I don't like hearing that, because when I hear stuff like that it makes me think (correctly or incorrectly) HARDWARE problem. Is your Vox set up differently than your wife's? Added apps?
As far as I can tell no. She installed the same few apps I did. Namely:
-Flash v11
-Perfect Viewer
-Dolphin HD 7.0.2
-Astro

And really aside from that any differences would be minor, layout mostly.
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #33
Fireci
Fireci began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
We are closely monitoring this issue now. Please let me know any pertinent information in regards to this wake up issue - plugged in, not plugged in, wifi on/off, running apps, battery level. All of this will help us track this down quicker.

Thanks,
James
Any updates from the Kobo team's end in regards to potential causes or things we can try to alleviate the issue? Even with the Wifi set to never sleep and manually turning the Wifi on and off, I still get the "Can't wake from sleep, need to hold down power for 15 seconds to restart" shinnannigans.

Should I just exchange my unit?
Fireci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Exchanging your unit will likely help. What we are seeing is that is only affects some units, and does so with varying severity. Most have no trouble with this issue. We are closing in on a fix which will be available asap. Please don't ask for dates, I can't provide them. But suffice it to say we are acutely aware of the pressing nature of releasing this patch.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #35
Fireci
Fireci began at the beginning.

I've brought it back in for a refund. I'll try it again after xmas to give you guys time to sort it out and hope there is a hardware revision.

Good luck!
Fireci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #36
SoulTrain
SoulTrain began at the beginning.

Question for the Kobo team. If this issue is resolved, will a patch be able to fix the currently affected devices? That is, will the devices with the problem be "restored" to correct working condition, or will we have to return them for a replacement? If so, will Kobo be handling the recall, or is my only recourse to return the Vox to the store where it was purchased and hope that the unit I get in replacement functions properly?

I just want to know so I can determine if I have to quickly return my Vox before my 2 week window at Future Shop is up. I like the Vox, mostly, and do not want to return it, especially if I can't be certain that the replacement will work any better. But I need to have a properly functioning unit, free of these niggling little issues, if I am ever going to be satisfied with it.

Bottom line, am I safe to keep my current Vox, with the knowledge that Kobo will support me and ensure that at some point I will have a fully functional device? Or am I asking too much?
SoulTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

The fix will be a software update. Your Vox will notify you when it has been posted to our servers, and you will be able to download and install it.

James
Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Quote:
Exchanging your unit will likely help. What we are seeing is that is only affects some units, and does so with varying severity. Most have no trouble with this issue...
I disagree, I think most users experienced similar issue, other forums report the very same problem. I began having this problem two days ago, I took your suggestion and disabled wifi before putting it to sleep, it didn't help much. my kobo vox does not wake up pretty much every time I put it to sleep now.
I don't mean to be overly critical but the fact that so many people have similar problems waking their device up indicates that there is a serious software problem.

I'm not sure whether to return my device to bestbuy and wait till I hear that the initial bugs have been addressed or sit tight and wait for the update.

any suggestions?
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #39
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox

Please bear in mind that forums such as this over represent problems such as these. You don't get the average person with no problems to speak of looking for help on these forums. But certainly the issue exists for some, and we are addressing it as quickly as we can.

While I cannot speak to dates for software updates, I can tell you that it is an issue that will be resolved via a software update in the near future.

James
Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #40
enoeske
enoeske began at the beginning.

I, for one, do not have any problems waking from sleep...yet. I've used it for 2 days so far, only powering down once. I've mostly used sleep between uses and haven't had any lock ups at all.
enoeske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #41
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Hmmm...I don't think the sleep problem has been over-represented. I sort of think it's a problem we can 'deal' with, but it's there and it's happening to pretty much everybody to some extent.

I've had my Vox for almost two weeks now and I have had experienced the sleep issue so many times that I have simply increased the sleep 'intervals' to 10 minutes. With less sleeps, there's less issues. If I figure I will not be using it within 10 minutes, then I just turn it off to save the battery.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #42
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
This issue is not isolated to the Vox. Google Sleep of death android and you'll see how many other products it hits. Toshiba's forum has a 25 page thread on the problem, and the Thrive shipped with Honeycomb. My wife's Acer has had the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Hmmm...I don't think the sleep problem has been over-represented. I sort of think it's a problem we can 'deal' with, but it's there and it's happening to pretty much everybody to some extent.

I've had my Vox for almost two weeks now and I have had experienced the sleep issue so many times that I have simply increased the sleep 'intervals' to 10 minutes. With less sleeps, there's less issues. If I figure I will not be using it within 10 minutes, then I just turn it off to save the battery.
Excellent advice. This is not a phone that needs to be on all the time. Turning it off also helps clear the memory. K to you!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #43
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Quote:
Please bear in mind that forums such as this over represent problems such as these. You don't get the average person with no problems to speak of looking for help on these forums. But certainly the issue exists for some, and we are addressing it as quickly as we can.

While I cannot speak to dates for software updates, I can tell you that it is an issue that will be resolved via a software update in the near future.
thanks for your feedback james, good point on "...people only report problems...".
I think I will sit tight, hopefully the updates will fix this issue.

oh, and I guess you guys have new bosses now eh? heared the news this morning. I suppose this will translate into kobo's content and services being extended by that much more. who needs amazon or b&n
cheers.
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #44
SoulTrain
SoulTrain began at the beginning.

Quote:
The fix will be a software update. Your Vox will notify you when it has been posted to our servers, and you will be able to download and install it.

James
Thank you, James. I appreciate the clarification, as well as the fact that you and other Kobo employees are responding to these forums.
SoulTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #45
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
This issue is not isolated to the Vox. Google Sleep of death android and you'll see how many other products it hits. Toshiba's forum has a 25 page thread on the problem, and the Thrive shipped with Honeycomb. My wife's Acer has had the same problem.

Excellent advice. This is not a phone that needs to be on all the time. Turning it off also helps clear the memory. K to you!
Ahhhh...good to know!!! I think a lot of issues we've been having are probably Android related and might be giving the poor Vox a bad name.

Thanks for the K - me likey!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote