Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Travelling to UK, need some advice/tips

Hello. If you can spare a minute,
For the Easter holiday I've booked two days in a hotel near London. I have never been to UK (but always wanted to see it), so I need some info/advice.
1. How are the drivers treating foreigners? This is the point where I'm scared a little. Is it difficult to adjust to left side driving? Are the other drivers understanding if I don't blend in very easy? For example when I see a car with UK plates in Belgium I always try to make more room for them, just in case they are not used to look left instead or right when going in a round point. Are winter tires mandatory?
2. The hotel I made reservations for is in Weston Avenue West Thurrock Essex. I thought it's easy because it's close to the highway (it looked like that on the map) but still not far from London. What's the best way to visit London from the hotel, by car or with public transport? Or is it easy to use the public transport? Can I use euro to buy bus tickets, or getting around? I guess not but well...
3. Since I will be there only two days, what are the nice places to visit in London (the time available being limited...). Or what are the MUST places to be seen? I'm interested mostly in history, theatre.
4. The best beer there is...? I love Leffe, but would be interested to try what people from UK like most...

Thank you for your time,
Best regards.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Hi,

You're unlikely to need winter tyres in London at Easter, and they're not mandatory.

Drivers in London are certainly less understanding than in the rest of the UK, but the traffic moves slowly. Assume that you will make the odd mistake and that you will probably get people sounding their horns at you if you do, but also realise that there's nothing personal in it and the incident will be forgotten almost immediately. Londoners make enough of their own mistakes! Just take things slowly and keep a good lookout at the road signs and you should be fine.

You're quite a long way out of the centre of London at Thurrock. However, I'd leave the car behind, you'll be a lot happier travelling around on the trains. From your hotel it looks like a short walk to Purfleet station. There are trains every half an hour into London Fenchurch Street station, taking 30 minutes. From Fenchurch Street it's a short walk down to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London, and Tower Hill underground station, which will give you access to the rest of the city by tube.

You won't be able to use Euro for travelling around, so get some Sterling. You will be able to get tickets using a credit card though. Londoners use Oyster Cards which they can just touch to a reader, but if you're just there for a couple of days you'll find it easier to buy a One Day Travelcard each day. You can probably get this as part of the return ticket you buy at Purfleet. This will then allow you to travel on any of the buses, trains and the tube within London.

There are so many Must See places... given where you'll come into London and your interest in history, I'll point you to the Tower, but grab a guidebook and see what takes your fancy. It's easy to get around on the tube. If you want to see one of the big musicals or plays at the National or the Barbican it's best to book in advance. You can usually get into other shows on the day. There's also a cheap ticket booth in Leicester Square where you can pick up tickets on the day of the show.

The best beer... you can get drinks from all over the world. My own preference in terms of beers brewed in London are those from Fullers, but we're talking bitters here, not blonde ales or lagers.

Have fun,
Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
LucasCorso
Enthusiast

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply, Graham.
Indeed it seems easy to use the public transport with those One Day cards. And no stress with the trafic...
Now I need to google some places to read about.

Last edited by LucasCorso; 03-25-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome. The only thing to remember about the One Day Travelcards is that the cheaper version (Off Peak) can't be used until after 9.30am... so enjoy a good long breakfast.

Graham
Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
My own preference in terms of beers brewed in London are those from Fullers, but we're talking bitters here, not blonde ales or lagers.

Have fun,
Graham

Ooooh! I miss ESB & Pride so much living here.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasCorso View Post
4. The best beer there is...? I love Leffe, but would be interested to try what people from UK like most....
India Pale Ale (IPA) - and I hope you have a great visit!

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-25-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really would suggest that you DON'T drive - at least not in London. The train service is good and frequent.

What I'd do in London is buy a ticket for one of the open-top "hop on/hop off" buses; they are by far the best way to see the sights. If I had to chose a place to visit, it would probably be the Tower of London.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
You could also consider a boat trip up the Thames to Hampton Court, a visit to the Obelisk in the City, clamber up to the orb & cross in St. Pauls Cathedral, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast, London Dungeon, Covent Garden.....get a guide book and have a wonderful time!
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
LucasCorso
Enthusiast

Thank you, guys.
I'm convinced now after reading your posts to leave the car at the hotel. Less stress (for me and other drivers) and more sightseeing (the main goal)! Funny, as I am a software developer for public transport industry, and I usually encourage people to use more the public transport.

And the car wouldn't be compatible anyway with some beer tasting...

for the tips. I will add the places you mentioned on my list.

Last edited by LucasCorso; 03-25-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Graham
Wizard

And to see the city laid out around you, you can't beat a trip on the London Eye... (you will need to queue for this.)

Graham
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Beserka
Beserka began at the beginning.

Device: Thinking about Bebook Neo
One of my favourite places to go is the Natural History Musuem. The building is fantastic and the displays can be quite good also.
Just remember to take in all of the architecture when walking around London, I would have to say that the House of Lords is one of my favourites.
I have been living here for 3 years and I have still not adapted to the ales here, so I mainly drink largers when out.
Beserka is offline   Reply With Quote