Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Noj
Noj began at the beginning.

Device: Fujitsu Loox720, HTC Tytn
Question So what do you call an iRex iLiad user

For those of you who have received their iRex iLiad readers and have somewhat master the art of ebook reading.

Are you now officially an "iRexer" or an "iLiader" or ?? anyone care to comment.

So next time if I see someone on the train using an iRex I could say there goes another iRexer
Noj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
How about "Homer"? *Doh* 8-)

Mmmmm... eBooks....
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
You could say:

"There goes another Idiot"

(another idiot who spent 650 bucks on a book...^^)

The reason why I just made that remark? My girlfriend misunderstood me when I told her what my (at that time still to arrive) ebook devoce was called...:-)
If you say "Iliad" a bit clumily it can easily sound like "Idiot"!

Seriously...I don't think we need to create words for it...else you get the iRexee, Sony Reader-Reader and the Hanlin-doin or something...^^
Call it ebook or reading device...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
You could say:

"There goes another Idiot"

(another idiot who spent 650 bucks on a book...^^)
Here's something interesting. I recently received a message from O'Reilly that they are moving foreward with making most of their books available as PDFs (all non-encrypted from what I can see) for 50% off the print price.

So, looking through my library of O'Reilly books... I see about 40 books (probably a few more than that). If we assume that the average price of these books is $40 (the small ones are about $30 and the big ones are about $50), then I've spent $40 * 40 = $1600 in books.

If I replace them (and I will over the next few years as new editions come out) with PDF versions, I'll save $800 - which is more than the cost of an iLiad - plus I'll be able to carry my whole technical library in my briefcase.

So I don't see my iLiad as an expense. I see it as a way to lower the cost of my books.

As the comedian Gallager put it: "We were going to need one anyway, and besides it was..." and all the women in the audience yelled "on sale!"

Saving money by buying stuff. I'm sure your girlfriend can relate.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Yeah, I know that...and I agree. The Iliad is a way of saving money...if more books are actually put in Iliad-compatible format for a good price. The Saving money by buying stuff is something...weird...but I won't go into it now...it's too OT...:-)

But I agree. those 650 Euro might have been a heavy investment, but with a bit of luck I'll have saved enough on books to justify the purchase...in the next year or two...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'd say every iLiad owner can pick a name from the iLiad characterlist:

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/iliad/characters.html

Obviously, I'd be Zeus *grin*
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
El Chupacabra
Enthusiast
El Chupacabra began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Nokia 6630
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
I'll be able to carry my whole technical library in my briefcase.
That's what I found most interesting about, to be able to look up almost any document I have in the same device and confortably. This is going to boost my personal development.
El Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
I prefer the "iLiader". ^_^
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
So I don't see my iLiad as an expense. I see it as a way to lower the cost of my books.
Personally, I see it as an enabler. In London space is at a premium, and the iLliad allows me to not have to have bookshelves full of books that I only access occasionally... Most of my reference books are online in chm or pdf format I rarely use a actually use "real" books. The illiad allows my to continue this paradym so now have portable access to all this literature...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
harryo
Enthusiast
harryo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten TX / Iliad
The potential to carry all my technical references with me was the main reason I bought an Iliad ... that and the prospect of being able to scribble on PDFS, because I'm a crossword fanatic, so I can save some trees by doing the crossword on-screen.

I just hope iRex puts some effort into making it as easy as possible to work like this. For example, it would be invaluable to be able to search in PDFs ... although, it's going to be slow unless they add some smarts to pre-index the text; there's something a developer could work on once we have an SDK.

The indexing could be done separately, of course and downloaded to the Iliad, which would make sense, since it would be a CPU-intensive task.

Of course, if they go with the pre-rendering of pages as I remember seeing mentioned somewhere here, they could also pre-index each book in the background (as an option settable for each book, perhaps).
harryo is offline   Reply With Quote