Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The Halloween freebies from Gryphonwood Press

Has anybody reads these yet? Are they any good? I just loaded them all into Calibre for the first time, and the 'author' was listed as Gryphonwood Press for all of them! I understand putting that in the publisher field, but they completely left out the author names, and I had to open up my web browser, go back to the Smashwords site, find them all again and change the tags myself. Not a very professional first impression they've left me with. I have so much else to read right now, so if these aren't any good, I can read other thing...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
could you link the source?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smashwords, as I said. It was a one-day sale.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I haven't started on any of the freebies I downloaded from them, but I have read Terry Irvin's short stories (couple of them published in online zines, one was up for an award last year...or maybe this year.) --it was quality. I don't think I tried any of the other authors.

Last edited by BearMountainBooks; 11-09-2009 at 09:15 AM.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I never got the chance to have it. Too bad it left them with bad impression. tsk3.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Has anybody reads these yet? Are they any good? I just loaded them all into Calibre for the first time, and the 'author' was listed as Gryphonwood Press for all of them! I understand putting that in the publisher field, but they completely left out the author names, and I had to open up my web browser, go back to the Smashwords site, find them all again and change the tags myself. Not a very professional first impression they've left me with. I have so much else to read right now, so if these aren't any good, I can read other thing...
I wonder how this compares to other Smashwords ebooks - do they all have the publisher where the author belongs?

Also, I find A LOT of ebooks are badly formatted, with lots of mistakes. This doesn't surprise me.

It is pretty bad if it's a Smashwords issue, though.

Update: I checked some other epubs I got from Smashwords and the author's name is in the right place. It's related to the way the specific books were done, not Smashwords.

It really doesn't reflect on the quality of the content.

Last edited by cmbs; 11-08-2009 at 09:58 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it was probably a mistake done by whoever uploaded the books. Gryphonwood may have paid a service for the upload (I know that happens a lot with Amazon; can't say with Smashwords).
Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

I've never posted a book to Smashwords. These were on the Gryphonwood Press page, maybe it is a Smashwords issue if the person signed in as "Gryphonwood Press" and that automatically became the author's name on the ebook files?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

CMBS,

Dunno, I checked my books on Smashwords, and my name shows as author. My screen name is BearMountainBooks and THAT shows up during a download in the "by" field. But I guess I"m not sure where the OP is seeing what he's seeing.

You're right though--that doesn't affect the quality. Gryphonwoods has made a name for itself as a small publisher so I'd expect the quality, both from a formatting and from content, will be there!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
CMBS,

Dunno, I checked my books on Smashwords, and my name shows as author. My screen name is BearMountainBooks and THAT shows up during a download in the "by" field. But I guess I"m not sure where the OP is seeing what he's seeing.

You're right though--that doesn't affect the quality. Gryphonwoods has made a name for itself as a small publisher so I'd expect the quality, both from a formatting and from content, will be there!
So in the metadata for the book, your sign in name, which is "BearMountainBooks" does show up as the author name?

That's a problem if it's true. What if someone is searching by author at Smashwords or any of the stores they are now distributing to? The author's name isn't showing in the metadata if they use a different sign in name at Smashwords.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

I don't know what you mean by "Metadata". My name is the author name wherever I expect it to be. The ONLY place I see "bearmountainbooks" is the SCREEN name--so when I am downloading my own stuff, there's a message that says, "Catch an Honest Thief" by BearMountainBooks -- but that is only at the Smashwords SITE--not inside the book itself anywhere (not inside the download.)

Sorry I wasn't clear.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard

I saw the problem in the 'author' field of Calibre when I loaded them in. When I download multiformat books from Fictionwise, I do not have this error.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "Metadata". My name is the author name wherever I expect it to be. The ONLY place I see "bearmountainbooks" is the SCREEN name--so when I am downloading my own stuff, there's a message that says, "Catch an Honest Thief" by BearMountainBooks -- but that is only at the Smashwords SITE--not inside the book itself anywhere (not inside the download.)

Sorry I wasn't clear.
Why should a download say your book is by "bearmountainbooks" if that's not the name you intended to be the author name?

Can you open an epub of one of your books, downloaded from Smashwords, in adobe digital editions and on the left where there is a cover image, the book title, and author, and see if your name is there or your Smashwords sign-in name? That's displaying the author's name that is in the metadata.

Last edited by cmbs; 11-09-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Yes, I can see the epub in Adobe reader and it is my name--looks exactly like you would expect. The .mobi file looks fine in mobipocket reader too--cover, title and author name.

I think the reason I see it as BearMountainBooks on that one spot is just because I am logged in. Like I said, it isn't ON or IN the book itself, it's on a smashwords selection page. I don't think it would look that way to anyone else.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Yes, I can see the epub in Adobe reader and it is my name--looks exactly like you would expect. The .mobi file looks fine in mobipocket reader too--cover, title and author name.

I think the reason I see it as BearMountainBooks on that one spot is just because I am logged in. Like I said, it isn't ON or IN the book itself, it's on a smashwords selection page. I don't think it would look that way to anyone else.
OK, thanks. It must be that Gryphonwood Press just put their name where the author name belongs. Good to know it's not a Smashwords issue.