Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up
blackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kobo Touch
Frozen reader

Hello all, perhaps one of you may be able to assist me? I recently bought the Kobo original ereader, less than 3 months ago. Very happy with it until this weekend when the thing froze up on me. I cannot turn it off, change screens, in fact nothing works on it at all. All i have it the main screen of books i have open.
I contacted support, and they replied asking for my details etc, plus my date of purchase, and tell me that it needs to be returned for repair. I have inadvertantly misplaced my receipt for the reader.
As i fear i will get nowhere with support because i no longer have the receipt, i was wondering if any of you fine folks have any ideas as to how i can get to my books?
Many thanks in advance.
Reg
blackpuddingmunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Kobo desk-top app will let you access your books.

Have you tried to charge the reader? What about the reset hole in the back of the unit?

Can you go to the store and ask for another receipt? Or maybe your credit card company?
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up
blackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melonblackpuddingmunc knows how to choose the perfect melon

i've tried the resetbutton to no avail, when i plug into the laptop all i get is the red/bluish light to say its charging, but the buttons still don't work. I'll probably have to go back to the shop to try get another receipt.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpuddingmunc View Post
i've tried the resetbutton to no avail, when i plug into the laptop all i get is the red/bluish light to say its charging, but the buttons still don't work. I'll probably have to go back to the shop to try get another receipt.
Leave it to charge for an hour before you try and turn it on. Once it gets really low you may need to give it some time on charge before it will react.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up

Thanks Robko, i'll try that tonight.
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wishing you luck. Be sure to post & let us know.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up

i am currently reading mybook with the reader plugged into laptop, but as soon as i unplug it, the bugger freezes again.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Wald07
Audiophile

Bugger, indeed. Let it charge for a few hours, uninterrupted. Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
KTREADER
Updating
KTREADER began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Try this factory reset:

1- hold the power switch ON for 10-15 seconds to make sure the device is off
2- press and hold the home button
3- turn on the Kobo and it should boot into a factory reset

worked for me
KTREADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTREADER View Post
Try this factory reset:

1- hold the power switch ON for 10-15 seconds to make sure the device is off
2- press and hold the home button
3- turn on the Kobo and it should boot into a factory reset

worked for me
away to try that now
Old 09-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
blackpuddingmunc
Occasional grown up

it would appear that the thing needs charging...

oh you fool

oh you old old fool

thanks all, and sorry for wasting so many peoples time...

(i hang my head in shame)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Wald07
Audiophile

I would never say "I told you so". I don't have to. :P

Happy for you. And relieved. And Here's some Karma for you, for your honesty.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
Wald07
Audiophile

as soon as I can hand out more K... been to free with it!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpuddingmunc View Post
(i hang my head in shame)
No need to hang your head in shame. Since e-ink just doesn't react when it has no power it's perfectly understandable that you would assume it was just frozen (after all there was stuff on the screen!!). You're not the 1st person (by a long shot) that's been caught by this. Glad you're up and running again.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Wald07
Audiophile

Happened to me, twice! One with Kobo & another time with Kindle.