Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Medieval Guy
Medieval Guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can only load 50 books onto my Kobo?

Just got the Kobo today, but I'm having trouble loading my Calibre library on it. I have 307 books, all formatted in epub and optimized for Kobo. I copied them to the Kobo with Calibre. When I disconnected the Kobo, it went into "Please wait while your Kobo eReader processes new content," and the progress bar got about a third of the way across and then stopped. None of the buttons worked; I had to use the paper clip in the reset hole trick. When it rebooted, there were only 150 books (the 100 that came with the Kobo plus the first 50 of mine). But in Windows, I could see all the files on the Kobo. I restored the Kobo to factory settings and tried again, with exactly the same result.

So I used Calibre (which, like Windows, thought all the books were on the Kobo) to delete the ones that weren't showing up on Kobo's menus, and then tried to add another 40 (in the hope that it was only letting me add 50 at a time). Calibre and Windows were both happy with the result. When I disconnected Kobo, however, it went into "please wait" and locked up again, this time with the progress bar barely started. One paper clip reboot later, I saw that none of the new books were showing up in Kobo's menus.

I hope I'm just doing something dumb (or not doing something). Does anybody know what the deal is? Thanks!
Medieval Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I don't know if next week's update will fix it, but some epubs have such large css files that the Kobo chokes trying to process them into the database. The only cure so far is to leave out the offending file - once you find it.

It sounds like it is one of those second forty files, although, of course, there may be others as well. Try maybe ten at a time... it may be slightly less annoying.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Maybe you ran out of space. Maybe it just needs a lot of time to digest all of that.

I managed to load up 700 books before I ran out of space. Some of my books were quite large. PLus there are the 100 pre-loaded books too. (I like to test the limits of my new toys.)

But I also found that when I tried to load up more then 400mb at a time it looked like my Kobo crashed or hung. In reality it just took 30-50 minutes to process the new files into the data base.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
It seems to work better doing only a few at a time. Try adding 25 books at a time, unplug and let it process them, then add the next 25. Takes a while but seems to work better in smaller chunks.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Medieval Guy

I tried adding one, and it didn't work. I then deleted two, then added the same one, and that worked. Next, I tried adding another 25, and that worked. The next 25 was the same old problem. Now, I can't even add one any more.

I'm starting to get really frustrated. Could this be a defective unit?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medieval Guy View Post
I tried adding one, and it didn't work. I then deleted two, then added the same one, and that worked. Next, I tried adding another 25, and that worked. The next 25 was the same old problem. Now, I can't even add one any more.

I'm starting to get really frustrated. Could this be a defective unit?
Could be a bad unit, or a problem with some of your books. It also could be that you need to give it more time. I've had to wait over 45 minutes sometimes when it was processing books, sometimes the progress bar didn't move for 10 - 15 minutes and then it started moving again eventually finishing.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Medieval Guy

Looks like it was .css files in at least a couple of the books...thanks!