Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Yes, I pick up change off the ground

I started in June, after I found 31 cents in one day. So I started looking actively for change on the ground, and cataloguing it.

Yes, I have issues.

Anyway, I thought you might find this interesting. Since June, I found at total of $13.47.
Breakdown:
240 pennies
18 nickels
44 dimes
15 quarters
2 dollars (it would have been three if I had fought a kid over, but alas, I have morals. Stupid things, morals)

Since October (since the recession really started full force), I've noticed a mass drop in pennies. I thought this was interesting. A lot of people intentionally throw pennies on the ground, but now some are thinking twice (in my opinion).

I enjoy this way too much
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I started in June, after I found 31 cents in one day. So I started looking actively for change on the ground, and cataloguing it.

Yes, I have issues.

Anyway, I thought you might find this interesting. Since June, I found at total of $13.47.
Breakdown:
240 pennies
18 nickels
44 dimes
15 quarters
2 dollars (it would have been three if I had fought a kid over, but alas, I have morals. Stupid things, morals)

Since October (since the recession really started full force), I've noticed a mass drop in pennies. I thought this was interesting. A lot of people intentionally throw pennies on the ground, but now some are thinking twice (in my opinion).

I enjoy this way too much
I hope you are washing your hands afterwards. (I have issues also! Money is dirty!
But, seriously, thats $13.47 more than you would have had, and will buy at least one Kindle book!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, sorry, you don't have a Kindle!

It will buy at least one Sony book!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Oops, sorry, you don't have a Kindle!

It will buy at least one Sony book!
The kind of books I read, I could buy two

Actually it goes in my piggy bank, where all of my change goes (I almost never use my change). Then every once in a while, I wrap it, take it to the bank, and put it in a high interest savings account

And yes I be washing my hands after
Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Somewhere in MR there is a thread about saving one's change and taking it to a coinstar amchine and getting an Amazon gift card. I'm doing that right now and should soon have a pile big enough to take in.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I call the change that falls out of pockets into the washing machine my "tip." I put it into a bowl, and whenever the bowl runs over, then it is time to roll it up. The rolls go into a suitcase in the closet. It was over $200 just this year!

I got the habit of saving coins from my grandparents. They once took a pillowcase full of quarters to the Chevy dealer and bought an Impala.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I call the change that falls out of pockets into the washing machine my "tip." I put it into a bowl, and whenever the bowl runs over, then it is time to roll it up. The rolls go into a suitcase in the closet. It was over $200 just this year!

I got the habit of saving coins from my grandparents. They once took a pillowcase full of quarters to the Chevy dealer and bought an Impala.
Did they buy it with just the quarters?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

http://www.coinstar.com/us/WebDocs/A1-0-3-1
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I didn't know they had Borders cards.

I like wrapping them myself though
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
that's brilliant. once i was waiting in line at the bakery behind someone who was paying for their bread with just the 1 centime coins he had saved up, but that's not quite as impressive.

also they weren't in a pillowcase.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Did they buy it with just the quarters?
Yep. It took my dad and grandad both in order to lug that pile of quarters into the dealership. Before that, they were Granny's "cold cash" and were kept in the big deep freezer in the utility room. I can't imagine how that pillow case did not rip apart!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
We don't get pillow cases these days like they used to!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
lilac_jive:

In your breakdown, you list having found this amount:

240 pennies
18 nickels
44 dimes
15 quarters
2 dollars

Curiously enough, I recently lost 240 pennies, 18 nickels, 44 dimes, 15 quarters, and 2 dollars.

I would like for you to deposit that in my PayPal account. I'll send you a PM later today.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
lilac_jive:

In your breakdown, you list having found this amount:

240 pennies
18 nickels
44 dimes
15 quarters
2 dollars

Curiously enough, I recently lost 240 pennies, 18 nickels, 44 dimes, 15 quarters, and 2 dollars.

I would like for you to deposit that in my PayPal account. I'll send you a PM later today.

Don
Finder's keepers, loser's weepers
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
On the other hand, older coins are starting to show up in change, due to the recession. I got a 1917 cent in change 2 days ago....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote