Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Philippe Lemay
Apple Hater
Philippe Lemay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPod Touch
60MB PDF file is loading nothing but white pages

At first I thought this was a caliber issue, because I noticed after having messed with the file's metadata, and ran into this problem. But after loading the native file that hadn't had anything done to it's metadata, I found the same problem. So it's an iPad compatibility issue, not caliber's fault.

Anyway, what the title says. A friend of mine passed me some Warhammer 40,000 PDF books to get me into it (lots of good recent stuff like 4th and 5th editions). One of which won't load properly. I had to mess with the metadata because they were all mish-mashed, but as I said above that probably isn't the cause for this...

Oh and the file itself is (or should be) sound, I was able to open it up in Foxit just fine. For some reason it's just white-page-ing on my Pad. Anyone have any experience with stuff like this? I'd really like to get it fixed if I can because the file that's not working is the core Rulebook for the 5th edition. The primary component for a would-be gamer like myself.

EDIT:
Now you know why I call myself an Apple Hater. To memory I can't remember having owned a more bug-prone device. I still love it though... lol, despite all it's failings, because what it does do right more than compensates. It's an odd... love/hate relationship.

EDIT2:
The file also white-pages on the Stanza App. My first attempt was on iBooks. I still suspect it's something wrong with the iPad though (and not just the file) because Foxit encounters no problems when reading it.

EDIT3:
I just found out that Foxit recently released an iPhone/iPad App (awesome!), and lo and behold, it actually works! So now I suppose I have the file on my Pad, which was the original goal. But I would still like to know why I ran into the white-page problem for all my other main eBook reading Apps.

Last edited by Philippe Lemay; 09-02-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Philippe Lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
I get white PDF pages on all iPad apps if the images are compressed with JPEG2000.

EDIT: I've just installed Foxit Reader for iPad (thanks for the tip, Philippe!) and I can confirm that it does support JPEG2000 compressed images. Which is great. Thing is those PDFs are so much slower to load than non-JPEG2000 ones.

Last edited by owl123; 09-02-2010 at 03:44 AM.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
I get white PDF pages on all iPad apps if the images are compressed with JPEG2000.

EDIT: I've just installed Foxit Reader for iPad (thanks for the tip, Philippe!) and I can confirm that it does support JPEG2000 compressed images. Which is great. Thing is those PDFs are so much slower to load than non-JPEG2000 ones.
That definitely sounds familiar-I think others were mentioning problems with JPEG2000 before on some of the readers:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=JPEG2000

Interestingly-the link there goes to..an RPG site...those RPG guys must love JPEG2000

Last edited by kjk; 09-02-2010 at 11:08 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Don't know if it is relevant, but I was looking at a PDF on my pc yesterday, and at first, I thought the pages were blank, but it turned out that the PDF was oddly formatted or something: when you clicked on something in the Table of Contents, when you got to the place in the doc, it was zoomed in at 6400%. Possibly something similar happened to you?

Of course, your issue may be totally different. I haven't tried the doc on my iPad yet.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Philippe Lemay
Apple Hater
Philippe Lemay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
I don't know what JPEG2000 means exactly... but it sounds rather conclusive. I haven't run into any other problems with PDFs on my Pad. So it must just be that this one file uses... JPEG2000 thingy.

I wonder if caliber can fix that... change it so that it uses a different compression technique. Anyway, thanks for the quick answer to my conundrum, now I know.
Philippe Lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #6
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
The thread mentioned by kjk offers a solution. Scroll it down a bit and see RCR's post.

Calibre can't fix it.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote