Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
What is eBooks-Library.com?

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I was doing a search for W. Somerset Maugham's In the Narrow Corner, and the only place which lists it as available in electronic format is eBooks-Library.com.

£30.00 per year may be worth it, if they had nicely formated stuff, without DRM. So, anyone who has tried them?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Sonist - I hadn't heard of ebooks-library.com until your post, but I did check their website. They apparently only offer books in PDF format. I can't tell if their books are protected by DRM or not; however they do indicate you can use your book on as many computers or hand-held devices as you like, so I would assume they're not protected by DRM, but I could be mistaken. I've sent them an email to ask if their PDF files can be converted to other formats or if they are protected by DRM and thus impossible to convert. I'll provide any information if they respond.

I have no idea what 30 pounds translates to in terms of dollars, but this may be a very good value.

Thanks for the find!

SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 03-23-2009 at 11:27 PM.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I have no idea what 30 pounds translates to in terms of dollars, but this may be a very good value.
About $44-$45 right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Forget the site. it's not worth the money & effort to convert PDF into something usable. You first have to convert the PDF into some other format. Then you have to compare the converted document with the PDF to fix all the errors and then you have to convert it yet again into the format you want. Do you really want to pay for all that hassle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I was able to find out that DRM is NOT applied to the books. However, as JSWolf indicates above, the hassle of converting from PDF to something a bit more user-friendly makes this of questionable value. For epub, I'd join in a minute, but I'll probably pass on PDF.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For anyone interested in the eBook offered, if they were ePub, I'd recommend it easily. But for PDF, I'd stay far away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I joined and find it to be a wonderful resource. They have a great many books that can't be found at Gutenberg and they been very well proofed and prepared.
The format is a locked pdf, so I need to unlock them and reformat them into the sort of clean bookmarked pdf (via a doc file) that I prefer for my mobile device (Sony prs505), this takes anywhere from 5-30 mins per book, but the result is a book exactly as I want it.

Some resources are needed for the conversion process, however, and if you aren't is a position to use them you are stuck with rather clunky looking pdf pages.

I consider the GBP30.00 as money well-spent.

Last edited by forcheville; 10-17-2009 at 09:58 AM.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote