Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Different libraries for different languages

Hi folks,
I am a complete newbie on here so please excuse me if I am asking a dumb question or one that has been asked a zillion times before!

I have just moved my complete library of books in English to Calibre and, despite its own little foibles, it gives me much better control.

What I would now like to do is transfer my library of books in French to Calibre. For obvious reasons, I would like to keep the two languages completely separate, preferably in two different libraries.

I have not yet seen a way to do this.

Is there a simple (or even not so simple) way of doing this?

I have considered installing Calibre twice on my computer, under different folders, one for English and one for French.

Thanks for any practical suggestions.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you click the Library icon in the Toolbar you will be given lots of options to do with copying/moving libraries and switching between libraries.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I had separate libraries at first and then got skittish about accidentally deleting something. What I did was make a custom column for 'library' and then use tags in it for Main Collection, French Collection, iPad Collection (these are the PDFs). Then I did a search one at a time for each one, saved the searches and now when I want to browse only one collection, I just choose it from the drop-down list.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
philandjan
Trainee Old Git

Thanks, guys. All sorted now.

Itimpi, thanks for pointing out there is a Library option on the toolbar. Unfortunately, the Library option only appears when I have the Kindle connected and I rarely have the kindle connected when I am carrying out library maintenance.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
Itimpi, thanks for pointing out there is a Library option on the toolbar. Unfortunately, the Library option only appears when I have the Kindle connected and I rarely have the kindle connected when I am carrying out library maintenance.
In the preferences, customize your toolbar. There are two options for the main toolbar: one normal one and one with the device connected. Pick the normal one. Check to see if there's a choose library- action on the right-hand side. If there isn't, look of it on the left hand and add it to the toolbar via the right facing arrow button.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
Thanks, guys. All sorted now.

You may have inadvertently 'customized' your main toolbar more than intended.
Does the Library item on the RIGHT show (for Main toolbar)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_toolbar.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	66547  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
philandjan
Trainee Old Git

Thanks to Manichean and theducks.

You guys are much better than ploughing through a user manual (just goes to show that I am the male side of philandjan !)
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Glad you sorted it out.

Another 'Collective' username (really obvious, when you clue us on the parsing)
Theducks is the collective name for myself and wife (she does not post here)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote