Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
New version of Sony® Portable Reader - PRS-500U2DB

I was looking at the www.sonystyle.com site and I searched for "sony reader". Look what was the first result I got.

Drumroll ....
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...SKU=PRS500U2DB

A new version of sony reader!
it costs $499
I couldn't see any difference between the specifications fo rthe old model and this new one before I rushed here to post my finding.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I found a difference:
Quote:
Custom Dooney & Bourke Case
The PRS-500U2DB Sony Reader comes with a custom leather case from Dooney & Bourke to protect it from dings and scratches.
The technical specs do look the same.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
WOW, nice find kacir!

Here is something "new":
Quote:
The PRS-500U2DB Sony Reader comes with a custom leather case from Dooney & Bourke to protect it from dings and scratches.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Haha, you beat me by seconds, igor
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if that cover is really worth $150.
Advert
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch

Digged around some more and found this...

Attached is a small bigger photo with the Dooney & Bourke case I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS500U2DB.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2640  

Last edited by TadW; 01-12-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: replaced with a bigger photo
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard

...and it's Pride and Prejudice on the screen instead of Dan Brown. I guess they want to market this to women.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
jæd
Evangelist
jæd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jæd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jæd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I wonder if that cover is really worth $150.
Makes the Irex one look cheap...
jæd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I put it in my shopping cart at Sony Style and found this statement...
Quote:
Shipping availability:
Pre-sale item available on or about Jan 26, 2007. We will notify you by email and bill your account when product ships.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
If they actually want people to pay $150 extra for it, they need to include some photos of what it looks like, not just a bland inside cover shot. Not to mention on their site when you click on it, it takes you to the same page as the regular reader and even the specs mention it comes in a black soft case, not the D&B one.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
If they actually want people to pay $150 extra for it, they need to include some photos of what it looks like, not just a bland inside cover shot. Not to mention on their site when you click on it, it takes you to the same page as the regular reader and even the specs mention it comes in a black soft case, not the D&B one.
I agree. Let's hope they add some more details, especially photos. I don't know for how long the new site has been up, but maybe they are still working on it.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
Looks like the entire page is gone now.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...SKU=PRS500U2DB =>

The requested product is no longer available

Return to the home page.
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
I was looking at the www.sonystyle.com site and I searched for "sony reader". Look what was the first result I got.

Drumroll ....
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...SKU=PRS500U2DB

A new version of sony reader!
it costs $499
I couldn't see any difference between the specifications fo rthe old model and this new one before I rushed here to post my finding.
hmmmmmmm, i just went and looked and got this. Guess they pulled it already from the websight.

The requested product is no longer available

Return to the home page.

Dang and it seems you all got to see it. Well I can see already I don't like the Cost!
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch

Well, well, I knew why I made a screenshot or two
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500u2db1.png
Views:	573
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	2647   Click image for larger version

Name:	500u2db2.png
Views:	542
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	2648  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Thanks for taking screenshots. Okay so what is new to this sucker. I read both pics and I didn't see anything new other than what was listed along with playing mp3's and something else I never heard of before, aac7? Surely as others said they are not going to charge $150 for a bookcover!!!???

Plus it looks identical. You think they can upgrade ours via the connect program where we check for updates? Now that would be nice of them and of course depending upon what it is that is so different about it. Wonder why they pulled the webpage.... someone screw up...... ha ha
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote