Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
What are the advantages/disadvantages of buying the Sony 300 vs the Sony 505?

I just bought the Sony 505 at Target for 139.00 That is a steal and I would be perfectly happy with it, but the problem is, it is not for me!

I convinced my sister's husband to buy it for her for Christmas. I know she has been wanting one (I have the pink 300) and this was 60 dollars cheaper.

Am I wrong? Is she going to have more headaches than it is worth? I would have bought it for myself, but now I am having buyers remorse, LOL. I just don't want them coming back and saying..."why did you recommend this one, we could have gotten the other one."

(though to be fair if it works fine and she has no problems, then she will never do that, I am the one that second guesses everything.)

I wanted to set it up for her and do the firmware update if there is one because she does not have the patience. I even have a few books I can download onto her device. I just have to register her device to my ebook library right?

Tell me if I did the right thing.

EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You'd be surprised, there are a lot of people who think the 505 is a much better model than the 300. As far as screen quality and processor they are the same. The 300 has twice the memory, but the 505 has the ability to increase it's memory up to 8GB and SD is cheap.

The 505 has a 6" screen and the 300 has a 5" screen. But I think that is a draw, for me I like the portability of the 5" but like the 6" since I read a lot of PDF on the screen. If you and your sister read mostly novels then there is no screen advantage.

One thing is I like the button layout of the 505 the keys are laid out that you can change the page with either the left or right hand so holding the book in one hand is possible. I've not held a 300 but it is smaller and it might just be possible to change the pages with either hand.

The last point is the 505 has one of the best accessories available to it and that is the light wedge reading light. Personally I love/hate that wedge, it's heavy and scratch easy if not careful, but it by far provides the best lighting source out there with out a single glare.

I do think the 300 is a nice device, but if I had a choice and SONY still sold the 505 for a little more than the 300, I think I would still pick the 505 over the 300. But then again if I was shopping for a model I'd probably pick the 600 over the 505.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
reposted this in the 505 forum. sorry for the confusion.
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
wish i could find a new 505 - i'd buy it for my husband in a heartbeat, but they seem to all be gone around here. seems like a better reader to me.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote