Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, of course I was so young I probably don't remember that well.............
Oh yeah???
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #47
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Back in the day........
That would have been, what, maybe 2005? 2004?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
[U]... Babes in Toyland (aka March of the Wooden Soldiers) with Laurel and Hardy. They used to show this every Christmas. ...
I hate to say this about a Laurel and Hardy film, but Babes in Toyland is a real stinker! This has to be without a doubt the worst thing L&H ever committed to celluloid.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #49
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I hate to say this about a Laurel and Hardy film, but Babes in Toyland is a real stinker! This has to be without a doubt the worst thing L&H ever committed to celluloid.
Only in your opinion.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Only in your opinion.
True, but my opinion is right!
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #51
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
But the worst of L&H is better than the best of W&W and better than most of A&C. Not to mention M&L, R&M, S&M, and B&S.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
But the worst of L&H is better than the best of W&W and better than most of A&C. Not to mention M&L, R&M, S&M, and B&S.
I don't know about that. I love Laurel and Hardy, and I love everything else I've seen them do, but Babes in Toyland, IMHO, was a major misfire for them.

It was the movie equivalent of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Wedding Album. You never expected to see something this bad from someone this talented.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-14-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
In the UK there are two X-Mas movie traditions - the Bond film and The Great Escape. You are guaranteed at least one James Bond movie on X-Mas day and The Great Escape is shown near to or on X-Mas day. I'm not sure when the tradition started, but anybody 30+ in the UK is familiar with this scheduling.
And "The Sound of Music". Mustn't forget that one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #54
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I've been working in Germany a lot lately and one of my German colleagues told me that a German traditional film is one called "Dinner for One" (I think). It sounded like it at least had a Christmas theme - old lady having a Christmas dinner with her friends every Christmas until they all die and then it's just her and her butler from what I heard. I think that they said it was an English film?

Perhaps one of our German members could confirm?
Yes you are right, it was a UK TV comedy from I think 1962/3 starring Freddie Frinton as the butler and May Warden as *Miss Sophie* I have provided copies to German friends in the past.

To me it is nothing other than totally cringeworthy after one watching but it seems to appeal to the (notorious) German sense of humour. I guess they are just laughing at the British.

see - http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0121210/

Seems it is a tradition in Norway as well.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #55
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't know about that. I love Laurel and Hardy, and I love everything else I've seen them do, but Babes in Toyland, IMHO, was a major misfire for them.

It was the movie equivalent of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Wedding Album. You never expected to see something this bad from someone this talented.
To be truthful, I haven't seen the movie in decades so I couldn't really say how I would react to it to day.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And "The Sound of Music". Mustn't forget that one.
My youngest sister's favorite all-time movie!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 AM   #57
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Bad Santa
Bump!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #58
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:

, Babes in Toyland was a good movie, I used to watch it all the time when they played it on the WB around Christmas every year

Mickey's Christmas Carol Scrooge McDuck can't get any love in here?
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #59
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Quote:
Ok BenG I have racked my brain and for the life of me I cant figure out W&W R&M S&M or B&S? PLease decipher or me. M&L = Martain and Lewis and A&C has to be Abbott and Costello
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Ok BenG I have racked my brain and for the life of me I cant figure out W&W R&M S&M or B&S? PLease decipher or me. M&L = Martain and Lewis and A&C has to be Abbott and Costello
Here's what I came up with:

L&H - Laurel & Hardy
W&W - Wheeler & Woolsey
A&C - Abbot & Costello
M&L - Martin & Lewis
R&M - Rowan & Martin

Although I know what S&M is, I have no idea who S&M are, and B&S baffles me completely.

BenG - Am I right? And who are S&M and B&S?